Notices

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Re: The Book of Sgt. Drake Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatekeeperDatuck View Post
If they are allowed to move to a same level space, would they be allowed to move to a lower space (such as hopping a battlement on a castle wall with their one move space)? This could also apply if a ruin was placed in such a way that a long drop existed on one side of the ruin (as in the case of RoninValentina's post above).
I believe that, based on the way I've understood the GG's to play, that they should, though they will take Falling Damage if they move downwards more levels than their height (as normal). All of this is just screaming for a...

"You have no power here, killercactus the Grey!"

EDIT: I went ahead and shot a PM to the Rules Team. Normally I wouldn't bother them about something like this, but I want to make sure we're playing the Granite Guardians correctly.
Thanks for submitting the request to the rules team. For some reason I don't think they would listen if I sent it to them. Especially if I started bringing up "metaphysical hexes" and so forth.

Oh, and I "vote" for the ruling that gives more flexibility to the Guardians' and Sgt. Drake's movement. They aren't overpowered, so I think there should be no desire to spite them in a ruling here. And yet, "overruling a FAQ" is something that has little precedence.

Edit: I meant to include this post regarding "mini-ruins/battlements" I found in the Granite Guardians book. But it does not address same-level moving.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...5&postcount=25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quickly with the battlement question, my quick informal answer is that they may traverse any linear obstacle that is no higher than four elevations above the space they are on.

Last edited by BurnyFlame; March 26th, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Problem 1: The space on the other side has to be "HIGHER" than the starting space. Why? The card says "up to 25 levels higher," which I think should included a height change of zero, maybe even negative (downward) changes in elevation.
I think this is the crux of the problem. In its entirety Grapple gun reads:

"Instead of Sgt. Drake Alexander’s normal move, he may only move one space. This space may be up to 25 levels higher. When using the grapple gun all engagement rules still apply."

If the intent of the ability were that Drake could only land higher than his height, the ability should have been written:

". . .This space must be up to 25 levels higher. . ."

If one does what the card says, not what it doesn't say, it ought to play out like Drake has a height of 25 when moving up, but not down, for Grapple Gun. As such everything else is clear. Drake couldn't move through the overhang pictured earlier. He could move over ruins but would take falling damage for falling more than 5 spaces on the other side. He could fall to any height on the other side of an obstacle including a hight lower than his original.

I really hope the GG's aren't "updated" to play like Drake. I think the FAQ about only moving up is erroneous and should be changed.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatekeeperDatuck View Post
If they are allowed to move to a same level space, would they be allowed to move to a lower space (such as hopping a battlement on a castle wall with their one move space)? This could also apply if a ruin was placed in such a way that a long drop existed on one side of the ruin (as in the case of RoninValentina's post above).
I believe that, based on the way I've understood the GG's to play, that they should, though they will take Falling Damage if they move downwards more levels than their height (as normal). All of this is just screaming for a...

"You have no power here, killercactus the Grey!"

EDIT: I went ahead and shot a PM to the Rules Team. Normally I wouldn't bother them about something like this, but I want to make sure we're playing the Granite Guardians correctly.
I know this is a bit of a necro, but has there been any kind of movement on this issue? After some discussion in another thread I'm nearly positive that Drake can in fact move laterally and downard when moving with Grapple Gun* he just has to follow normal movement rules when doing so.

*The only reason you would want to do this though would be if the scenario stipulated that for some reason he couldn't make a normal move.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

From FAQs 11.3:
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the
hex on the other side?

Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels)
does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels.
Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling
damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels).

The book needs an update.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Problem 1: The space on the other side has to be "HIGHER" than the starting space. Why? The card says "up to 25 levels higher," which I think should included a height change of zero, maybe even negative (downward) changes in elevation.
I think this is the crux of the problem. In its entirety Grapple gun reads:

"Instead of Sgt. Drake Alexander’s normal move, he may only move one space. This space may be up to 25 levels higher. When using the grapple gun all engagement rules still apply."

If the intent of the ability were that Drake could only land higher than his height, the ability should have been written:

". . .This space must be up to 25 levels higher. . ."

If one does what the card says, not what it doesn't say, it ought to play out like Drake has a height of 25 when moving up, but not down, for Grapple Gun. As such everything else is clear. Drake couldn't move through the overhang pictured earlier. He could move over ruins but would take falling damage for falling more than 5 spaces on the other side. He could fall to any height on the other side of an obstacle including a hight lower than his original.

I really hope the GG's aren't "updated" to play like Drake. I think the FAQ about only moving up is erroneous and should be changed.
And it has been changed. The FAQ now reads like this:

Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the hex on the other side?
Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels) does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels. Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels).

So the book needs an update, please. The related rule clarification on the first post needs to be changed to remove the words highlighted with red:

- GRAPPLE GUN 25 : Grappling Over A Ruin

Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the hex on the other side?
Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels) does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels, and the landing space is HIGHER than his starting space. Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels). (Hasbro FAQ)
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

updated and thank you

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Would love it if someone could give me a good 600pt army idea with Drake and possibly the Airborne Elite.
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

The 170 point version that came in the SotM set is much better IMO. If you don't have the card you could print it off and use the figure you do have.

600 point soldier army
Drake (SotM) 170 (Soldier)
AE 110 (Soldiers)
Marcus Decimus Gallus 100 (Soldier movement/attack bonus)
Roman Legionnaires x2 100 (Soldiers that bond w/MDG)
Mogrimm Forgehammer 120 (Also bonds with Legos)
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Thanks for the army idea! Also for the Idea of printing the SotM card.
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sgt. Drake Alexander RotV
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:46 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Wanted to share one of the coolest things that happened to me this weekend. I'm playing in General Wars, repping Jandar, and I've got Drake in my army. We're at the end of the first row of tables, so we get a decent amount of foot traffic from random gawkers watching the games.

I'm in the middle of my game when a family (man, woman, ~12 year old boy) stop by my table. The man says something like "I didn't realize there were still events being run in this game." I say something back about how the community is still going pretty strong despite it being discontinued. Then I asked him if he has played Heroscape before.

He answered "I was actually one of the designers." I look at his badge, and it's Rob &%$#ing Daviau.

I try to recover from the gaffe of asking the designer whether he's ever played the game as quickly as I can, and thank him for his work in producing my favorite game of all time. It turns out his wife also did a lot of graphic design work on the early waves (she told me about some "hot lava death" easter egg that she had tried to put into the graphics). We talked a bit about his role in the game design and how much contact he has with CVN. Rob seems like a very nice guy, and his Seafall game with Plaid Hat is getting a lot of positive buzz.

Anyway, the reason I put this here is because, late in the conversation, he points to my Sgt. Drake Alexander card on the table. He said "that card is named after him;" - pointing to his son standing next to him - "he had just been born." Sure enough, his name was Alexander, right on the badge.

So there I was, playing Sgt. Drake Alexander, in front of a designer of the game and the namesake of the card. So cool!

Last edited by dok; October 5th, 2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: "Drake" is CVN's son's name, so the card is a double namesake, actually.
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

cool anecdote @dok !

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units