Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Deathreavers

Movements like those of Scatter do not add bonuses, but they do, in fact, take the penalties, such as snow, ice, and stopping in water.
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
All abilities that list a number of spaces to move (Reavers, Ninjas, etc.) are not affected by movement bonuses (Road, Glyphs, etc.).
Yep. It can't be decreased by heavy snow / slippery ice.
I believe that is not true. You still need to count twice for Rat's scatter if it is on heavy snow/slippery ice.
Really? I don't think that they would rule one way and not the other, but you're probably right, being BoV-man.
I'm sorry for starting some confusion. I did say bonus in my statement, but I should have mentioned that all terrain movement rules still apply (as the Rev made clear).

For what it is worth, the logic behind the situation (as I understand it) is that the road grants a bonus (as do glyphs)--these do not apply to a set movement effect (i.e. move a deathreaver up to 4 spaces, same for G-nators, ninjas, gladiatrons, etc.). The other terrain effects are designations of what a space is--one heavy snow space simply requires (always) 2 movement to access. (If there is ever a space that counts as 1/2 of a space--good luck!--then it would apply when moving a set amount of spaces, since it is a ruling on the nature of the terrain space, not a bonus received when activating a unit and moving it.)
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM

TheLorax is surprisingly tart

Does anyone else think these guys are simply TOO good at what they do? I think they sort of dumb down army selection in terms of finding a melee "screen." I think it is just too simple to say "ok, here is my army of ranged guys, now I need a melee screen... gimme the rats."

I have a few problems with them, but I think the biggest overall problem is they fit pretty well into almost ANY army. Most solid melee squads need a pretty hefty investment of points to really shine. They usually require several 60-70 squads as well as a hero or other squad to bond with (KoW, blasts/glads). However, these guys do amazing with just 80-120 points invested, and they almost have their own form of bonding in scatter.

I'm big on playing variety so maybe I just have seen these guys picked too often. Anyone else feel competitive or even semi-competitive army line ups would be a lot more varied without these guys available?

Anyhow that's my on these dudes. I think they are getting outta hand.
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Deathreavers have many counters if your opponents keep picking them. Units with Disengage can go past them, units with flight can go over them, units like AE and Retchets can drop behind enemy lines, units like Q9 can attack them and prevent scatter, or units like the 4th Mass can blast them away. Even 3 or 4 squads of reavers won't last long against 4 attacks of 4 per turn like the 4th Mass can toss at them.
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Deathreavers have many counters if your opponents keep picking them. Units with Disengage can go past them, units with flight can go over them, units like AE and Retchets can drop behind enemy lines, units like Q9 can attack them and prevent scatter, or units like the 4th Mass can blast them away. Even 3 or 4 squads of reavers won't last long against 4 attacks of 4 per turn like the 4th Mass can toss at them.
Why are you assuming that the Mass will have height? The reavers are faster and often will be sent out first to intercept the enemy. More often the Reavers will have height than the Mass IMO.

To answer the original question, just have a special attacker or Braxas. They get rid of Reavers well, since one of the Reavers main advantages as a melee screen is that they don't require order markers to move. When you kill them with special attacks they do.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

I'm assuming 4th Mass in general has height because the Reavers in a sense have to come to them. If the reavers initially get height, as they get shot at they would have to leave height to engage the 4th Mass. One large benefit range has over melee is that they can often choose where the battle takes place.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM

TheLorax is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Why are you assuming that the Mass will have height? The reavers are faster and often will be sent out first to intercept the enemy. More often the Reavers will have height than the Mass IMO.

To answer the original question, just have a special attacker or Braxas. They get rid of Reavers well, since one of the Reavers main advantages as a melee screen is that they don't require order markers to move. When you kill them with special attacks they do.
I'm aware that there are several ways around the guys (disengage, flying, special attacks) like you guys have mentioned. My problem is simply that the rats seem to overshadow almost any other melee "screen" in effectiveness. Granted they cannot really attack, and if you can successfully ignore them with flying or such, you can bypass some of your opponents points.

I think even attacking them with special attacks or powers (I.E. Braxas) is still exactly what your opponent wants out of these guys. Keep in mind they are 10 POINTS A PIECE. With 4 defense, if you use 2 or more turns trying to kill say 2 or 3 of them, then they probably have already done their job.

As I said earlier, I feel they are just TOO GOOD at what they are designed to do, especially at 10 points a piece.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

The Repulsors should at least decrease the number of them fielded a little bit. Since they are only a bit more costly, they accomplish what they were fielded to do easily; stop the rats from stopping you.

Also, the opponent must put that in perspective. While 40 points that cant attack isnt much, x3 of them and youve lost a good chunk of your army that doesnt really do much on the offense.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Also, if you have Zelrig, he can't be tied down really and it's a 3 attack against 2 defense, chances are the reavers are together, and you can attack your hero on your side even to get majestic fire all around him to kill all blocking reavers. In that case the reavers go to Zel, yeah you get it.

Edit: I laughed so hard, Hasbro's site has the Deathstalkers and the Deathreavers pictures mixed up.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Zelrig can very much be tied down, especially by the rats. Get two or three of them engaged to Z and he either has to take a mess of disengagement swipes, or he has to fire at the rats. Special attack or no, that's the point, keeping Majestic Fires from taking down your important commons.

-insert signature here-
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

True, I don't have much experience against the rats. So I guess my idea doesn't work so well huh?

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba
True, I don't have much experience against the rats. So I guess my idea doesn't work so well huh?
The big Z is a good counter to a rat swarm no doubt, his flight helps him get passed the sceen and the ranged special is a GREAT way to hammer away at the little robots. The point was that he can still be bogged down by them, and because he is double spaced its easy to make sure only one rat can be attacked at a time.

Its a big ordermarker / initiative issue when using him against rats. As long as you carefully plan your movements with Eniar's pet dragon he should effectively handle several squads of reavers.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units