Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Brandis Skyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
I still think Atlaga is almost always better than Brandis. Not only is there the Witherwood potential but a ranged Flyer is pretty good too.
When all we were talking about was one-shotting Raelin I had to agree. Truth is though, that Brandis has more speed, more life, kills Raelin more quickly 70% of the time, and gets an extra turn when he does. Brandis is more consistent than Atlaga and is THE guy I want for 90 points against opposing low defense heroes.

~Aldin, half-elvishly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Brandis is more consistent than Atlaga and is THE guy I want for 90 points against opposing low defense heroes.

~Aldin, half-elvishly
THE guy you want against low defense heroes should be DW8k not Brandis. DW8k gets an additional turn for every wound not simply per extra kill, has a special attack the same strength as Brandis' normal attack, and has superior range.

Even against low Defense Heroes, Brandis is not that good. The Feral Troll, Krug, or Syvarris for example would laugh at Brandis.
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Brandis is more consistent than Atlaga and is THE guy I want for 90 points against opposing low defense heroes.

~Aldin, half-elvishly
THE guy you want against low defense heroes should be DW8k not Brandis. DW8k gets an additional turn for every wound not simply per extra kill, has a special attack the same strength as Brandis' normal attack, and has superior range.

Even against low Defense Heroes, Brandis is not that good. The Feral Troll, Krug, or Syvarris for example would laugh at Brandis.
Did Brandis do something to you when you were younger? I'm baffled by your irrationality on the subject. Seeing as how I said he was THE guy I wanted at 90 points (you see, both Atlaga and Brandis are 90 points so that comment was relevant and made sense), responding about how I should want a 130 point hero is... odd.

On uneven terrain, I give Brandis a good shot against the Feral Troll and a decent shot against Syvarris (he wins about 40% of the time per the matchup calculator). Krug eats him, but Krug eats a lot of stuff. Like a lot of figures - Brandis has his days. Specifically, he has some very good days against some very popular flying figures.

~Aldin, choosing his targets

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

I view Brandis as nothing more than a Wyrmling counter draft.

EDIT: Never mind, he only gets an extra turn against unique heros. In that case, I think this guy sucks :P.
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

I've used Brandis in a tournament before and I was less than impressed. There were even treasure glyphs and a reasonable amount of flyers present. I think his main problem are some of the small specifics in his abilities. When opponents engage him he looses both of his abilities, I think if he had more life, disengage, or didn't have these restrictions he would probably be a much better figure.
However I've played him casually for a flying counterdraft and in some scenarios I'm working on and in that atmosphere he can be very fun and work well.
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

In my opinion, Atlaga is a much better choice at 90 points, even if a flyer is present. I have nothing against Brandis or someone who uses/likes him. I'm not gonna sit here and preach down to people for using units they like, but I'll tell you why I like Atlaga better. First off, even putting synergy aside, I like Ataga's 25 percent chance to instant kill any unit, just having his ability makes people think twice before moving a powerful figure near him. I know that witherwood is an obvious reason, but, even without his witherwood ability the fact that he flies will get him to height way quicker than Brandis, and will also allow you to kite much better with him than with the half-elf. Even with Brandis extra life point I find he's easier to kill, because it's easier for a flyer to take height from him, and totally negate some of his abilities. Like I said, nothing against anyone who likes him, just my opinion.

Dustin

Let freedom ring with the shotgun blast
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosmooth View Post
In my opinion, Atlaga is a much better choice at 90 points, even if a flyer is present. I have nothing against Brandis or someone who uses/likes him. I'm not gonna sit here and preach down to people for using units they like, but I'll tell you why I like Atlaga better. First off, even putting synergy aside, I like Ataga's 25 percent chance to instant kill any unit, just having his ability makes people think twice before moving a powerful figure near him. I know that witherwood is an obvious reason, but, even without his witherwood ability the fact that he flies will get him to height way quicker than Brandis, and will also allow you to kite much better with him than with the half-elf. Even with Brandis extra life point I find he's easier to kill, because it's easier for a flyer to take height from him, and totally negate some of his abilities. Like I said, nothing against anyone who likes him, just my opinion.

Dustin
I totally agree.
I would happily draft Atlaga as a quick filler option in my games, even without synergy. Brandis, on the other hand, Would only be chosen if I could at least maintain a theme in my army by drafting him.
The flying ability of Atlaga is worth far more than the increased stats of Brandis, IMHO.
And as you say, the Witherwood has a tendency to make your opponent think twice before coming too close. So it's worth more than just the 25% killing chance.
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm wondering how everybody is going about whether or not Brandis is better or worse than Atlaga. If your going against a non-flying army, sure Atlaga will win. But against a flying army, Atlaga's flying isn't nearly as powerful. Both sides can get height on each other equally well. That's where Mr. Skyhunter comes in. Sure he can't fly, but he still has multiple benefits and only gets stronger as they keep coming.

1. All kyrie have wings, and on some maps those pose a problem(not counting Stinger Denial effects). Brandis has none, but because he can move 6 anyways, even on a map of different elevations he can nimbly move(plus his sculpt is not constricting and allows him to hide).

2. The flatter the map, the weaker the kyrie are. If my men stay out of your range while your on height, you are gonna have to get with my reach. 6 move and flying and 6 move without it means nothing on a flat map. Essentially, your still gonna move 6 spaces.

3. The threat that each figure also has a small factor in gameplay too. If you have Atlaga, and I have a hero I don't want dead I have a mean little trick. I send in my squads. That Bolt is wasted on a squaddie. On the other hand against Brandis, I'll still need caution while sending in my heroes who fly. For any of the kyrie squads, your going to be in trouble if you do or don't go with their respective heroes.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; July 25th, 2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Brandis loves kyrie, even if they are squaddies(which ain't cheap).
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Who really builds flat maps, though? I know what you meant was flat-ish, but on almost any map I can think of, I would rather have 5 move flying than 6 move walking. Maybe not on some particular road maps, but just in general.

And yes, Brandis does have some threat factor; that is, if your opponent has drafted only flying units or mostly flying units. I'd say Atlaga's threat is a heck of a lot bigger, though. Even if I was playing Sentinels or something, I would just engage Brandis, thus negating any bonuses he receives. To me, Brandis isn't a bad figure; he's just a very specific niche.
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I'm wondering how everybody is going about whether or not Brandis is better or worse than Atlaga. If your going against a non-flying army, sure Atlaga will win. But against a flying army, Atlaga's flying isn't nearly as powerful. Both sides can get height on each other equally well. That's where Mr. Skyhunter comes in. Sure he can't fly, but he still has multiple benefits and only gets stronger as they keep coming.

1. All kyrie have wings, and on some maps those pose a problem(not counting Stinger Denial effects). Brandis has none, but because he can move 6 anyways, even on a map of different elevations he can nimbly move(plus his sculpt is not constricting and allows him to hide).

2. The flatter the map, the weaker the kyrie are. If my men stay out of your range while your on height, you are gonna have to get with my reach. 6 move and flying and 6 move without it means nothing on a flat map. Essentially, your still gonna move 6 spaces.

3. The threat that each figure also has a small factor in gameplay too. If you have Atlaga, and I have a hero I don't want dead I have a mean little trick. I send in my squads. That Bolt is wasted on a squaddie. On the other hand against Brandis, I'll still need caution while sending in my heroes who fly. For any of the kyrie squads, your going to be in trouble if you do or don't go with their respective heroes.

Why would witherwood be wasted on a squaddie? Its a choice, and noone will spend it on a squad figure, they will just hold it until they need it. Atlaga is only 90 points, so if you lead with all of your squads I would just play with all mine. Atlaga will just sit in the back and come into play when I need him. Sure another flyer will be able to close the gap on him but with Brandis your guaranteed not to have a chance at height before the flyer. So in a lot of scenarios your looking at Brandis with an attack of 5 from below vs. Atlaga with an attack of 5 from above. Then, even if your flyer engages my Atlaga I'm still just as effective, Brandis, not so much.

But if you like to use him more than Atlaga, go for it. I'm not saying he sucks or dont use him, I'm just saying for the reasons I've stated I believe Atlaga is a better choice for me.

Dustin

Let freedom ring with the shotgun blast
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I think he would have been alot cooler had his archers glory power worked on common heros as well, but then only gave him another attack rather then a full turn. Then he would be an awesome counterdraft for the Wrymlings. He would have the potential to drop every wrymling in his range in just one turn, so you would have to keep the wyrmlings spread pretty far out if he was around or take him out ASAP. A good 90 point investment in this age of D2.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

They said he was grossly overpowered when it worked on common heroes so they changed it to unique heroes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units