Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 1st, 2017, 12:53 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
May 2017 Custom Unit Competition (Revised Format)

Welcome everyone to the May 2017 Custom Unit Competition!!
This month Dr.Goomonkey and I are happy to present a brand new format with updated guidelines and a simplified rule set. Our hope is that these changes will encourage more people to participate. Additionally we have updated the name to 'competition' rather than 'contest' to reflect the friendly nature and non-prize oriented version that this format will reflect. We hope this new format goes over well and we look forward to this month's entries. If you have any questions please post them in this thread!

Heroscapers Custom Unit Competition
General Regulations
Rules
1. No more than one entry per person.
2. You may not submit a previously submitted unit, card, or figure.

Submissions
1. Must adhere to all rules and regulations of Heroscapers.com.
2. Must be submitted by end of day, on the designated due date.
3. Must send via PM to the host of that individual competition.

Suggested Figures
Fire

Earth

Wind

Water

- Participants are welcome to enter any version of a custom card they like, including simple text.
- Participants are welcome to submit entries using handmade (non-market) figures that they have created.

- Voting Dates: May 21st to May 31st
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:41 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: May 2017 Custom Unit Competition (Revised Format)

Hmmm... interesting. I'll probably throw something in. I would like to ask, though - the idea of giving people a specific theme to work with won't be a consistent, permanent thing with these, right? Because I really loved the old format of 'here's the figure - do whatever the hell you want with it' - it allowed for some real creativity at times, and I'd hate to lose that for the sake of giving people a specific brief of what to do each time.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Hmmm... interesting. I'll probably throw something in. I would like to ask, though - the idea of giving people a specific theme to work with won't be a consistent, permanent thing with these, right? Because I really loved the old format of 'here's the figure - do whatever the hell you want with it' - it allowed for some real creativity at times, and I'd hate to lose that for the sake of giving people a specific brief of what to do each time.
As the competition's progress we will put such things up for discussion, the goal in mind is that as we expand creative options we want the entries to be somewhat with current Official, C3V, and Sov themes. For this one in particular the figures all worked out to be Elementals.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:11 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Quote:
As the competition's progress we will put such things up for discussion, the goal in mind is that as we expand creative options we want the entries to be somewhat with current Official, C3V, and Sov themes. For this one in particular the figures all worked out to be Elementals.
I... don't really know what that means. Wanting the entries to be within official themes? Does that mean that if at any stage someone posts an entry belonging to an unofficial General or which explores a new and creative theme it won't be considered? I ask because I have previously looked at these contests as a brilliant area to spread and flex my creativity while working with a figure that's been given to me - if the conditions become too nailed down I fear I may lose interest.
Also, for this contest, you say suggested figures - does that mean I could pick a different one, or (theoretically) design a Greater Elemental that wasn't Earth, Fire, Water or Air? Also, what sizes are the figures we're looking at? They look a little small for 'Greater' Elementals.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I... don't really know what that means. Wanting the entries to be within official themes? Does that mean that if at any stage someone posts an entry belonging to an unofficial General or which explores a new and creative theme it won't be considered? I ask because I have previously looked at these contests as a brilliant area to spread and flex my creativity while working with a figure that's been given to me - if the conditions become too nailed down I fear I may lose interest.
I think I see the confusion, let me try to clarify. In short we want this competition to promote creativity. Thats is and has always been the goal. But we also want to start encouraging the entries to be useable with existing concepts.
For example, if you made a Greater Flame Elemental I really like than I can incorporate that into an Elemental army when i'm playing at home.
To get that result though some structure will have to be injected into the guidelines. Otherwise we would not reach a point where there are all these great entries that support the current Heroscape system. Sometimes this structure will take the form of a specific theme. But not always. That's the great part about exploring and trying new things out! I hope that helps and please let me know if something is still not jiving on your end.

Quote:
As for this contest, you say suggested figures - does that mean I could pick a different one, or (theoretically) design a Greater Elemental that wasn't Earth, Fire, Water or Air? Also, what sizes are the figures we're looking at? They look a little small for 'Greater' Elementals.
As for the second portion of your comment, yes suggested means suggested. You can in fact use whatever you want. Or mold your own custom mini. As for size, we are leaving that up to each individual contestant.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:31 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Quote:
I think I see the confusion, let me try to clarify. In short we want this competition to promote creativity. Thats is and has always been the goal. But we also want to start encouraging the entries to be useable with existing concepts.
For example, if you made a Greater Flame Elemental I really like than I can incorporate that into an Elemental army when i'm playing at home.
To get that result though some structure will have to be injected into the guidelines. Otherwise we would not reach a point where there are all these great entries that support the current Heroscape system. Sometimes this structure will take the form of a specific theme. But not always. That's the great part about exploring and trying new things out! I hope that helps and please let me know if something is still not jiving on your end.
Okay, cool - I have no issue with contests like this, I'm just glad that there will still be ones with a specific figure but which allow you to do whatever you want to with it and let your imagination run wild. I think I prefer that way, but variety is always good, so I'm in!

Quote:
Quote:
As for this contest, you say suggested figures - does that mean I could pick a different one, or (theoretically) design a Greater Elemental that wasn't Earth, Fire, Water or Air? Also, what sizes are the figures we're looking at? They look a little small for 'Greater' Elementals.
As for the second portion of your comment, yes suggested means suggested. You can in fact use whatever you want. Or mold your own custom mini. As for size, we are leaving that up to each individual contestant.
Cool! It might be worth giving us guidelines for what the sizes of the actual suggested minis are, though.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:56 AM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

*sees title* "What's this? A May competition? Something fishy is going on here..." *reads op, squeals like a bird.*

Are the customs creator's identities still going to be kept anonymous during the first 2 phases (submission and voting) of the competition?

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I may be in the minority, but as I mentioned before (and got some not so agreeable feedback) I think it is more beneficial to have custom contests that actually match the needs and wants of the community at large, and therefore greatly appreciate this custom contest as it is meeting a desire to have large elementals. Again, I think the more time the contest voting time is open the better, as there is more time to actually playtest, but this is a step in the right direction. Again, not that I am against the more "fun" and "open" contests as a just that - a fun contest for those who create customs and who vote, but the newer format has more long-term value. At least, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 16th, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:54 AM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I may be in teh minority, but as I mentioned before (and got some not so agreeable feedback) I think it is more beneficial to have custom contests that actually match the needs and wants of the community at large, and therefore greatly appreciate this custom contest as it is meeting a desire to have large elementals. Again, I think the more time the contest voting time is open the better, as there is more time to actually playtest, but this is a step in teh right direction. Again, not that I am against the more "fun" and "open" contests as a just that - a fun contest for those who create customs and who vote, but the newer format has more long-term value. Alt least, in my humble opinion.
Yeah, the option of allowing more personal creativity is nothing to long term community benefit. Not that I'm against this from time to time, but if they keep necessitating that you keep within a specific, predetermined theme, I think that will really harm creativity and result in my losing interest here. Sometimes it's fun to look at a figure and try to subvert expectations while still keeping within what would thematically work for it.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:55 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think that the format will be shifting around from now on, depending on what figure(s) we scrounge up. As my colleague has stated, we want the competitions to promote creativity, and the way I see it having varying levels of structure should be a good way to accomplish that, while also making allowing for more, well, variety (and potentially more playable entries)

It would be good to have the actual size of the minis, but I don't think either of us own any of them, so...

Anyways, great kickoff for the new format!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Only one!? So much for creating customs for Rock group Earth, Wind and Fire . . .

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:24 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Looks fun guys, I'll see if I have some time to throw something together. I definitely have some homeless figures of these types needing a card anyways.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards