Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 31st, 2016, 10:08 AM

Mr. White is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Looking for two specific maps

I'm planning to run a mini tournament for my son and friends. I have rotv, sotm, and two forgotten forest sets. I need two balanced maps. One using rotv and ff and the other with sotm and ff.

Suggestions?
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:27 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Looking for two specific maps

There's a tool for inputting your collection & getting back available maps, but I never remember where it is. So here is what I have from my brain.

Dry Season, by @Killometer , is an outstanding, tournament-worthy 2-player map built with just one RotV. I recommend it without hesitation.

I'm a big fan of maps by my buddy @mad_wookiee , and his Blackroot is suitable for tournament play and requires your SotM and two RttFFs.

When I've run tournaments for kids (& 2 adults, myself included) before, I've set up a prize table. One prize for each player, and each person - starting with the first place finisher - picks. The prizes were little things like cheap dice bags, a colorful 20-sider, and an unused pair of inexpensive work gloves, because my buddy was there, too.

Have fun!

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:41 AM

brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You could try:

Marr Highway- 1 RotV, 1 RttFF

Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh- 1 RotV, 1 RttFF

Road Rampage- 1 RotV, 1 RttFF

Fossil-1 SotM, 1 RttFF

Dad_Scaper mentioned Blackroot, consider that as well.

Of course I felt the need to suggest one of my own maps. It hasn't been much tested as far as I know (besides my own use of it,) but I certainly tried to make it balanced:
Fry's Road: Jungle Free!- 1 RotV, 1 RttFF

You would have my heartfelt thanks if you used it! I'd love to hear opinions on it.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys!

My son is more familiar with the game than his friends, so to help balance that I plan on prebuilding armies. Each will have a dragon and a few units. Well roll to randomly determine which army we get and between rounds players can swap out one unit for another so long as they are still under the points alloted (I'm thinking 400). We'll be playing three rounds and then have prizes chosen from a prize table as above. This is my first time doing anything goes like this so I hope to build some balanced armies and am curious about what sorts of awards are usually given. Overall? Most brutal? Etc.

Last edited by Mr. White; March 31st, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:57 AM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

How many kids, and what ages? And why aren't you playing, Mr. White?

= =
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:19 AM

I'm hoping four 3rd grader with me acting as ref. It's possible there will only be two. If so, then my buddy and I will also play.
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:46 AM

If I do end up with two adults and two kids, I'm thinking the kids will be allowed a few more points. Maybe 450 or up to 500. Add a character in with the dragon and units.
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:40 PM

Well, you'll decide based on the kids in question. You may have to give up lots of points, if you really want to make it interesting. I'd also plan on playing even if there are 4 kids. Whoever isn't playing gets a bye, and with 5 players you can have a "championship" game between two people who hadn't already played.

Prizes should be whatever they might like. Candy bars, whatever. Participation trophies, as they say, because they are all winners. Heck with anyone who says otherwise.

If you get an idea for special prizes instead (Biggest Comeback, Unluckiest Dice, whatever), that sounds great. Just make sure, obviously, that everyone gets a prize. Also when I did this I made certificates on the computer. They liked that.

Have fun! Please let us know how it goes!

= =
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

My recommendation is:

Highways & Dieways: Swarm Edition
Common Ground

Two excellent maps that are both interesting and dynamic, and that play differently from each other.
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:27 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

The maps spreadsheet (which is trying to rebuild that defunct database on that Czech site) is here. So you can put in terrain requirements and see what maps you can build. It still needs a ton of work, but you can find some other maps there for your tournament. Have fun!
Old April 2nd, 2016, 04:56 PM

Do you guys have any suggestions on point sizes and round length...timed or number of turns? I'm thinking 3-5 rounds. There'll be either 4 or 6 participants. I want it to be a fun event, but don't want it to overstay it's welcome...

Last edited by Mr. White; April 2nd, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 05:16 PM

Also, is there a decent map using just the marvel set?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion