Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM

thaddeus p whirl has disabled reputation
Order Marker Placement in Competitive Play

In competitive play, do players use a standard method for placing their order markers? For example, do players each take a turn placing a marker at a time (regardless of which marker they're placing, otherwise it would obviously defeat the purpose of having unrevealed order markers), or is order marker placement the same as in casual play where they all get placed at the same time? In your guys' and gals' experience, is this something that can differ from tournament to tournament?

I am excited to enter the world of competitive play; I'll be participating in my first organized tournament in a few weeks, and this question has been on my mind. I searched through all 57 pages of rules questions and looked at every one that had "turn markers" or "order markers" in the title, but I couldn't find the answer to this. Thanks for any help!
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
I usually try to just place them at the same time my oppononet does. Sometimes the opponent likes to try to watch you and then place theirs accordingly. In that case the tournament director should allow you to shield your markers using a piece of paper or something.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
I'm interested to hear some responses on this. I've only played in one tournament on NHSD in Canton. There were 44 people, and I played 8 games. In every game, we placed markers at the same time - it was kind of on the honor rule I think, although no one said anything about it.

However, when I play at home, we usually do it that way as well. I have one guy that plays with us that almost always waits until last to place his markers, and I just know he's looking at mine and reacting with his. Is that really fair? Probably not, but I don't let it bother me (he's fairly new to the game anyway). We used to place markers one at a time, the person that won initiative last round going first, to ensure fairness. We've kinda gotten away from that now.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I've played in 15+ tournaments totalling over 70 games and I have never had an opponent care or even think to invoke this rule.

The rule is there if a player wants to use and I could see doing it that way if you felt your opponent was sort of watching you place yours while he places his. If I felt that it was critical and the player had been watching my placement all game, I might invoke the rule for that pivotal round.

But as I said, I have yet to see any player invoke the rule; everyone just places markers at the same time.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM

thaddeus p whirl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I've played in 15+ tournaments totalling over 70 games and I have never had an opponent care or even think to invoke this rule.

The rule is there if a player wants to use and I could see doing it that way if you felt your opponent was sort of watching you place yours while he places his. If I felt that it was critical and the player had been watching my placement all game, I might invoke the rule for that pivotal round.

But as I said, I have yet to see any player invoke the rule; everyone just places markers at the same time.
I'm glad to hear this is mainly what takes place. I tend to think of Heroscape as a fun game rather than a competition, and that's what I was hoping to hear about tournaments as well. The game is just more fun that way, when everyone involved is a really good sport.
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I usually just place them and not worry about it. If I do have an opponent that I think is watching my placement and then placing his dependent on mine, I will throw them in places that I don't want them and then switch them last minute.
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
I'm one of those guys that keeps an eye on other players as they place markers. The only way it really affects anything, though, is if I notice him placing them all on one character, when they still have a formidable army left. Usually doesn't change my strategy though, and sometimes if I guess wrong, really screws me up.
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Remind me not to play with you.

If you are watching your opponent place his markers and making decisions about how you place yours, that is poor form.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Remind me not to play with you.

If you are watching your opponent place his markers and making decisions about how you place yours, that is poor form.
I've only heard about one player who did that in one of the two tournaments that I've been to, and luckily I didn't have to play against him. My friend got pretty mad about it afterward, and told me that he'll bring a couple folders next time to shield his and his opponents' order markers if the guy does it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD997
I'm one of those guys that keeps an eye on other players as they place markers. The only way it really affects anything, though, is if I notice him placing them all on one character, when they still have a formidable army left. Usually doesn't change my strategy though, and sometimes if I guess wrong, really screws me up.
I have to admit I take a look at the other player while they are placing markers. It rarly affects my chioces too much though.
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
At my table, we just place all markers at the same time, on the honor system. If I actually saw you watching me place mine before you placed yours, you would have a choice between going to the seldom-invoked one-at-a-time rule or never playing Heroscape with me again.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
We usually just place them at the same time and then change them around before initiative is rolled.

We normally play on the dining room table and I rarely even see what card is what from my end of the table anyways LOL
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's