Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old February 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM

darth_stalker Woo who?
Great list!

But Death Walker 8000 - C-?
I guess I've just always gotten really lucky with him.

Help me doctor, I think I have hypochondria!
As the Chinese zombie said..."Blains!"
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
The list seems pretty good. At least for the units I have played with. I only take issue with 2 rankings. Crixus and the Gorillinaators. I would give both a solid B.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I radically disagree on the Aubrien Archers. A D would be more appropriate. I'd also give the Arrow Gruts a C or C- and Nilf an A or A+
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Dodge
I radically disagree on the Aubrien Archers. A D would be more appropriate. I'd also give the Arrow Gruts a C or C- and Nilf an A or A+
Who are you???

Even if Aubrien Archers don't frenzy much, they are still way better than a D.

Arrow Gruts are arguably the best common squad in the game. They are definitely on the top 5 list of anyone with competitive play experience.

Nilfheim could be an A. I can give you that, but the other two comments, especially about the Gruts is way off base. They consistently come in at the top of tourneys.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
has been BANNED

In the recent huge Boston tournament, no Orc army was anywhere near the top of the standings. Even with frenzy (which doesn't happen alot) the Aubriens have low defense so they die quickly and a weak attack meaning thye have a hard time killing much.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Dodge
In the recent huge Boston tournament, no Orc army was anywhere near the top of the standings. Even with frenzy (which doesn't happen alot) the Aubriens have low defense so they die quickly and a weak attack meaning thye have a hard time killing much.
How many times were the Arrow Gruts used? Perhaps that would have something to do with that.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
spider_poison is too classy to tell you himself, but the guy did win the main tourney at GenCon last year. We may all have our own thoughts that differ, but I for one appreciate getting insight into this man's brain. As I am sure many others are.
I agree ( on both of Markwars points ), I also appreciate Spider_Poison insights in to this game, I think this is great.

In addition to winning the Gen-Con main tourney & MindShackle I would also like to add he has won every Tree Town Open as well as the all tournaments in Austin MN.... I've even joked about changing the name of the TTO and name it after Spider_Poison. He has earned his credentials in my opinon

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Tremendous! Thank you, sir!

~Aldin, who always finds that stuff like this makes him want to craft a superior squad of the "bad ones" (must have been watching "Dirty Dozen" with my dad as a kid)
Yes, I agree. I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

So, what do you think? Could it take out 3 Q9's???

I'd be willing to give it a try!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Tremendous! Thank you, sir!

~Aldin, who always finds that stuff like this makes him want to craft a superior squad of the "bad ones" (must have been watching "Dirty Dozen" with my dad as a kid)
Yes, I agree. I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

Ugh, now that is definitely ugly. There's a thread "what would beat my army"...here's a challenge: What 550 point army would lose to this army? Only one restriction, no Deathreavers or Swog Riders.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
has been BANNED

All that army needs is a few good d20 rolls. With 1 good D20 their shade could steal your Q9 or Nilfheim or their sudema could take down your braxas or Q9 with 1 roll.

This army could do decently vs a large hero oriented army but would struggle with swarms unless Dund was rolling teriffically
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
That is definitely a challenge!

I was thinking maybe blastatrons x 7 (because of their attack of 1), two squads of orc grut archers (same reason, plus no bonding), and 1 squad of marro drones, but I'm not sure that would even work. Can the blastatrons give one another bonuses for being adjacent to an enemy target? I think they do. Well, back to the drawing board. They might have a chance against a charos army if they got lucky enough to soul devour him!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison
Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1
I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

There's a thread "what would beat my army"...here's a challenge: What 550 point army would lose to this army? Only one restriction, no Deathreavers or Swog Riders.
OK, here you go...

Ornak - 100
Acolarh - 110
Hatamoto Taro - 130
Obsidian Guards - 100
Marcus - 100

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion