Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old May 21st, 2020, 12:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Workbook of Cave Troll of Moria - Playtesting (Fellowship B)

(CARD IMAGE)

NAME = CAVE TROLL OF MORIA
GENERAL = UTGAR
SPECIES = TROLL
UNIQUENESS = UNCOMMON HERO
CLASS = BRUTE
PERSONALITY = FEROCIOUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = LARGE/7? (double-spaced)

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 4
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 90

CAVE DWELLER 2
If this Moria Cave Troll moves over at least three contiguous dungeon or shadow spaces, you may add an additional 1 space to his move. This Moria Cave Troll rolls 2 additional attack dice when attacking an adjacent figure or destructible object on at least one dungeon or shadow space.

TOUGH
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, this Moria Cave Troll always adds 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

Character Bio: (taken from Tolkien Gateway)

". . . For the moment they are hanging back, but there is something else there. A great cave-troll, I think, or more than one. There is no hope of escape that way."

― Gandalf, The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

A race of monstrous creatures found in caverns and dark places.The Cave-trolls are known from an encounter with the Fellowship of the Ring as they passed through Moria, but were evidently found elsewhere in Middle-earth, too. These trolls, along with Orcs and perhaps other creatures, were originally sent to inhabit Moria by Sauron some five hundred years before the War of the Ring.

The cave-trolls of Moria were of huge size with a skin of dark green scales, and flat, toeless feet. The fact that Gandalf was able to recognise the creature he encountered in Moria specifically as a cave-troll strongly suggests that this appearance was shared by others of the kind.

-RULINGS and CLARIFICATIONS-
N/A

-COMBINATIONS and SYNERGIES-

Synergy Benefits Received
Ornak - Red Flag of Fury

Synergy Benefits Offered
N/A

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; July 10th, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:35 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Workbook of Cave Troll

What went into Design on 2020-06-12:
Spoiler Alert!

What went into editing on 2020-06
Spoiler Alert!

What went into Review on 2020-06-25:
Spoiler Alert!

What went into playtesting
Spoiler Alert!

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; July 10th, 2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:36 PM

The conversation so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for these cards?

Cave Troll
Moria Orcs/Goblins (melee squad + archer squad?)
White Hand Uruk Hai
Lurtz

Or any other Fellowship foes I'm forgetting?
I could definitely start spitballing a cave troll. Armored or otherwise, even the three from unexpected journey. Have a figure in mind that I can focus on for design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas for these cards?

Cave Troll
Moria Orcs/Goblins (melee squad + archer squad?)
White Hand Uruk Hai
Lurtz

Or any other Fellowship foes I'm forgetting?
I could definitely start spitballing a cave troll. Armored or otherwise, even the three from unexpected journey. Have a figure in mind that I can focus on for design?
Looks like Heroclix has an armored Olog-Hai for around $10. Combat Hex has at least one regular cave troll with a hammer for around $20ish and I think another harder to find one with a sword for a lot more. Does anyone know of any others that aren't too spendy?
Quote:
CAVE TROLL

Troll
Uncommon Hero
Beast
Mindless
Large 7?

Life 8
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 2
Ability Ideas:

1. Reach

2. Blundering Oaf/Daylight Burns: Subtract 1 attack die if attacking a figure on anything other than swamp (water), dungeon or shadow tiles.

3. Siege Monster/Huge Monster: Add 2 automatic skulls to this figure's attack when it is attacking a destructible object or a small figure.

4. Simple Minded: Order Markers cannot be moved from this card be any power.

5. Huge Strikes: When you roll a normal attack against a figure, roll 1 attack die against all figures adjacent to that figure (my intent is that they can defend). Cave Troll cannot be affected by Huge Strikes.

6. Devour the Small: a version of Grimnak's chomp ability that only works on small figures but I'd envision giving it a range of 2 to keep with the theme of being so big. Auto eat small squads, roll to eat a small hero.

I'm not saying even 2 of these abilities, maybe a Cave Troll should only have one and be a big pile of easy to hit but hard to bring down stats but I am brainstorming some things that would make thematic sense. He definitely needs to be different from Feral Troll and Ice Troll too. Can also spread around ideas between a standard cave troll, an armored cave troll and I'm almost hoping for a unique cave troll squad because of the guys from the Hobbit. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I'd prefer that the cave trolls had a high defense (and probably a lower life).

Their skin was hard to pierce even with a sword.

From the LotR wiki:

Quote:
Cave-trolls were seen in Moria, and were also in the Ettenmoors. One was described as having dark greenish scales and black blood. Their hide was thick enough that when Boromir struck one on the arm his sword was notched and did no damage. However, Frodo Baggins was able to impale the "toeless" foot of the same troll with the enchanted sword Sting.
And we should start a new thread for the troll.
Quote:
Fair enough, thatll make a good differentiation on the statline. I think the abilities I threw out are still in character though.
Quote:
I was thinking 2 defense with Tough

I figured we would create new threads as we gain momentum around an idea.
Quote:
Tough definitely accomplishes what we want here, that means that the troll would probably have 1 other ability if we go that route. Or rather I hope it would because just tough on a figure would appear to be a bit lack luster.

How do other people feel about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
What about Tough + Flail Hurricane?

--
--
--

--
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:43 PM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness

http://popscultureshoppe.com/herocli...ologhai-11163/ Under $10 for testing units.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15 $20 and up on ebay. You can also see the Combat Hex Olog Hai is running at $50 (oof)
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:44 PM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I also agree the trolls should have Tough.
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:49 PM

With that much armor I could even see 3 defense and tough, but that might be a bit hard to swallow.

Should they gave regeneration like Heroscape trolls?

--
--
--

--
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:54 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Heroscape trolls are based off dnd trolls that do regenerate. Dnd is technically based off Lotr but I don recall anything in Tolkien stating that trolls regenerate. I'll do some research to see if that comes up.

Edit: Not finding any regeneration abilities in our source material, did find 7 kinds of trolls though lol. It wouldnt bother me if middle earth trolls had it, just dont think it needs to be forced if we have other ideas to throw on them
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:01 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Axegrinders have 3 Defense and Tough. Mogrimm has 2 Defense and Tough.

The Axegrinders have a life of 1, so a higher Defense makes sense. But I'd still like to see at least 3 Defense and Tough. Boromir's sword couldn't cut them.

If we consider 3d printed trolls, they have some nice free ones:

troll1
troll2
troll3
troll4
troll5
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:03 PM

If we are doing standard Cave Troll from the Fellowship though, we shouldn't be thinking about the armor until later RotK or Hobbit maybe.
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:07 PM

Oops wrong thread, lot of tabs open rn
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:11 PM

Axegrinders do not have Tough. No one in Classic has Tough and more than 2 defense that I'm aware of.

--
--
--

--
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:13 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So, can we get a vote/confirmation on if we are doing armored cave trolls saving them for later? Ideally they'd be designed different. Though they would probably both have the tough ability.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs