Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old November 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Smurf_Scape is surprisingly tart
Hedron Horde - NEW - Special Rule Suggestion?

Hey all, I decided I needed more terrain for AotP. I found a link somewhere on this wonderful site (sorry no source/credit) to the Wizards official release materials for Battle for Zendikar (a card set). They issued a free PnP PDF of a hedron for stores to use during pre-release.

Anyways, I printed and made a bunch of these Hedrons (11),

Obviously hedrons as they are from the PDF can not stand on their own, not to mention that hedrons in Zendikar are meant to be emerged in the ground. This led me to cut some of the tips off so they could stand (with a little weight) on their own.

I have, however, ran into a problem. I seem to not be able to come up with more ways to cut these tips off. I have done three different cuts (two of which remarkably similar I can't really tell a a difference).

Here is where this wonderful community could help me, what other ways do you think they could be cut to make cool looking LoS blockers for HS/AotP?

'List of ways'
-Straight cut not in the middle, "hamburger style"
-Diagonal cut so an edge is pointing forward
-Diagonal cut so that a flat surface is facing forward
-Straight Cut through the middle through 'hamburger style"
-Straight Cut through the middle "hot-dog style"
-Straight cut through not the middle "hot-dog style"

How should I weight them in order to keep them up right, or from easily tipping when touched?
I ended up making cardboard slips that fit perfectly in the hole portions. I layered some PVA glue and sand to add weight so that they would not tip over by looking at them.

*New Question* What sort of special rules would you think could be used for these?
I was thinking somewhere on the lines of, "If you control two more figures adjacent

Here's a drop box link to the hedron, wizards doesn't seem to be hosting it anymore,Hedron PDF, DroBox Link

Thanks in advance guys!

Update: Finished them all up and weighted/based them. Here are them free standing on a 2 by 2 AotP board. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Smurf_Scape; December 2nd, 2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:59 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Hedron Horde - Make a Suggestion!

You could have them imbedded into different pieces of terrain. Example. Stuck into the side of a gnarled tree with moss and vines. Just spitballing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:51 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf_Scape View Post
Here's a drop box link to the hedron, wizards doesn't seem to be hosting it anymore,Hedron PDF, DroBox Link
They're still hosting it; over on the planeswalker forums, there's a thread that gives this link to the PDF. In that thread, where the OP asks for suggestions on terrain to make for 3D printing, which has the link to the PDF on the wizards host and some images of a papercraft 'crashed' hedron, he has screenshots from 123D Design of a hedron embedded in a three-hex tile. No sign of an actual STL file from that yet, though.
Old November 4th, 2016, 11:33 PM

@TREX I was hoping to keep it as only the paper craft ones, and alterations to them. I don't trust my skill or my time avaiablilty for more immersive terrain. I also feel like too highly decorated terrain would stand out way to much in the almost entirely cardboard realms of AotP. I was thinking of clusters maybe?
@srmalloy thanks for linking to the that thread, definately were I ended up seeing it. :] I might have to try and make some 3D models of clusters to better visualize them.
Old November 5th, 2016, 01:12 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I also feel like too highly decorated terrain would stand out way to much in the almost entirely cardboard realms of AotP.
That, I think, is the biggest letdown from AotP -- that it almost completely discarded the range of what you could do building game boards with Heroscape in favor of cranking out cheap flat cardboard maps on a printing press. Yes, it keeps the costs down, but all of the two-dimensional cardboard does little to attract players from other miniature games, most of which have player bases accustomed to much more elaborate map building.
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:02 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

You could also cut in the lengthwise direction. It would look like the thing was submerged on its side and then exposed by erosion.
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
You could also cut in the lengthwise direction. It would look like the thing was submerged on its side and then exposed by erosion.
Thanks Porkins, Thoughts of almost float hedrons enter my mind!

Mini pump. Edited OP to include a new question, how should I weight them in order to keep them up right, or from easily tipping when touched?
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:12 PM

Re: Hedron Horde - New Question in OP!

Quote:
*New Question* How should I weight them in order to keep them up right, or from easily tipping when touched?
If you have a flap that closes the bottom, you can glue together a stack of three or four pennies, then glue them to the bottom flap; once closed, they'll provide enough of a balance weight to keep it upright.
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Quote:
*New Question* How should I weight them in order to keep them up right, or from easily tipping when touched?
If you have a flap that closes the bottom, you can glue together a stack of three or four pennies, then glue them to the bottom flap; once closed, they'll provide enough of a balance weight to keep it upright.
Pennies! Brilliant. I have a personal weird obsession with pennies so I actually would feel mroe comfotable with nickles lol. I do have some sand laying around so I might try to hot glue some layers of that in somehow.

The flap thing however, no such luck. Could try to hot-glue a cardboard 'lid' per-say? I did such a technique in a mana pillar I am working on, but that is a pretty well defined specific square. I'll have to give it a go. Thanks srmalloy!
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:13 PM

Rathburn is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

You can also use self drying clays, or washers. Another idea is to attach them to a cardboard hex layout.
Old November 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM

After seeing your work, as well as Toshi Umezawa's over on the Planeswalker Arena boards, I took a hedron model I'd found on Thingiverse and sliced it to look as if it were sticking out of the ground and printed it; the pictures are over on the 3d Terrain STL files thread.

Last edited by srmalloy; November 19th, 2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old November 19th, 2016, 06:28 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Nice work Smurf_Scape.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles