Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:52 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Need a new game

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtheMighty View Post
Every co-op game can suffer from the alpha player problem. While Flash Point does what it can to minimize the problem, it can still suffer, you need some self-control to not scream when others make the wrong decision, although if you're looking to build up strategic thinking in your younger ones, Flash Point is a solid choice. It is really chaotic, but simple enough that anyone can find or make a clear path to victory.
Beginner players tend to focus on saving victims, and forget about the fire until half the building is aflame. This is a Bad Thing. Keep the fire in check, then get the victims out, they're not going anywhere... =P

Quote:
...Yet another game I recommend is Survive: Escape from Atlantis, it plays up to five with a very easy to find and cheap expansion (normally plays four), although if your kids have that usual problem with THE situation, ya know, the one where you destroy one meeple of their's and they break down in tears/screaming/etc. you may want to avoid it.
+1. If they feed parent-eeples to the sharks first, turnabout's not so bad for their ego later...
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:34 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

@CJtheMighty

CVlizations is yet another game I have never heard of. This is one of the reasons I started this thread, to see what's out there and what you guys suggest. I'll give it a look.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis was one that was on the annual holiday gift guide that @UtahScott provided me earlier. It is one I am considering for sure.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:07 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Quote:
Every co-op game can suffer from the alpha player problem. While Flash Point does what it can to minimize the problem, it can still suffer, you need some self-control to not scream when others make the wrong decision, although if you're looking to build up strategic thinking in your younger ones, Flash Point is a solid choice. It is really chaotic, but simple enough that anyone can find or make a clear path to victory.
Beginner players tend to focus on saving victims, and forget about the fire until half the building is aflame. This is a Bad Thing. Keep the fire in check, then get the victims out, they're not going anywhere... =P
Haha, too true.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:15 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Arcadia Quest by far is one of my favorite Games. Beautiful minis and amazing simple gameplay.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:38 AM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm just spitballing here, but a few that I like that may at least be worth taking a look at would be Shadows Over Camelot, which is better with more players, but I find to be still lots of fun with 4, Carcassonne, which is a simple, yet incredibly addictive worker placement game, and Lords of Waterdeep, which is a touch more complex, but still loads of fun.

Other than that, I find games like Love Letter and Coup to be highly enjoyable, but both are almost micro-games, designed to be taught in played in minutes. I also really like Sheriff of Nottingham, but the bluffing aspect of the game might be a bit much for a seven-year-old. The same can really be said for Coup as well, but there's not quite as much going on.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:05 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I'm just spitballing here, but a few that I like that may at least be worth taking a look at would be Shadows Over Camelot, which is better with more players, but I find to be still lots of fun with 4, Carcassonne, which is a simple, yet incredibly addictive worker placement game, and Lords of Waterdeep, which is a touch more complex, but still loads of fun.

Other than that, I find games like Love Letter and Coup to be highly enjoyable, but both are almost micro-games, designed to be taught in played in minutes. I also really like Sheriff of Nottingham, but the bluffing aspect of the game might be a bit much for a seven-year-old. The same can really be said for Coup as well, but there's not quite as much going on.
While Coup and Sheriff of Nottingham are very easy and can easily be used for family play, I personally wouldn't introduce them to any kids under the age of 10-11, because of the whole bluffing thing, I personally don't think kids should be taught to lie at a young age, especially from their parent's hobby. Although if your kids don't have a problem with lying and you can get the idea through to them that it's only ok in the game, these are great candidates.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:

While Coup and Sheriff of Nottingham are very easy and can easily be used for family play, I personally wouldn't introduce them to any kids under the age of 10-11, because of the whole bluffing thing, I personally don't think kids should be taught to lie at a young age, especially from their parent's hobby. Although if your kids don't have a problem with lying and you can get the idea through to them that it's only ok in the game, these are great candidates.
I was thinking the same thing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:24 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Shadows Over Camelot does look really good. Going to watch some videos.

I really really think that I want Zombicide: Black Plague, but a couple of things are holding me back. For one, it is really expensive and has only gone up, in price, on Amazon. Plus I'm just not sure if it would hold my family's attention. It looks really fun to me though.

I still have time to look around, as life keeps finding unexpected, and unwanted things for me to spend my money on.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I have all the retail expansions for zombicide black plague and it is pretty fun. Im yet to play all the scenarios and they do have replayabilty factor. Ive played it with younger players as old as 7. Its easy to learn and the players will like it if they like thowing dice.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:48 PM

nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby!

I'll second Lords of Waterdeep. It's pretty straightforward and has been universally enjoyed by all that we've introduced it to.

I need you to be awesome. Can you be awesome?

Thanks to AmishBurrito for a promo code and Gulp for sending wound markers!
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:35 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I saw G-O mention this on the previous page, and just wanted to say that Clank! is an absolute blast to play. It was a surprise hit at a recent gaming weekend involving R˙chean, Grungebob, Jim, and even truth. It is a deck builder with a board and there is a bit of a screw-your-neighbor, from the aspect of trying to be the first to collect an artifact and get out before anyone else does and not awaken the dragon. Much fun.

Survive: Escape From Atlantis is fun for sure, but if you like a space-themed game, then Survive: Mars Attacks (or some such name. I don't have the game in front of me) is a great variation of the game. Has a few more methods to leave the "island"/space station and has some neat stuff that the first Survive doesn't.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I've played Blood Rage, and own Kemet and Scythe. Good games, but I don't think a 7 year old would be a good age for them.

There have been some good mentions, such as Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Flash Point Fire Rescue, Shadows Over Camelot and Lords of Waterdeep.

Coloretto is a nice light set collection card game that plays up to 5. Pretty quick too.

Defenders of the Realm is a nice fantasy co-op for up to 4 players. It can be tough to beat though, but it's not a hard game to learn/understand.

Cacao is a light game that plays up to 4.

Between 2 Cities is a game that plays from 3-7 players and is about a half hour.

Hey That's My Fish is a nice little game that plays up to 4 and pretty quickly. While it has cute penguins, it's got some strategy and certainly some competitive take that.

For a little more meat of a game, I like Snowdonia a lot. It's a worker placement game where players are labor companies competing to build a track and stations up the mountain in the Snowdon national park in Wales.

It's kind of hard with the 7 year old restriction.

Edit: Yes Clank is good too, but I only played it once and can't remember if it was something a 7 year old could really do well, with the deck building aspect.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games