Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Units and Spell Cards
Official Units and Spell Cards Discussion of official AotP units and spell cards

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Gideon's Phalanx SPELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I think if you cast the enchantment on an enemy Planeswalker, that Planeswalker would get the effect. All white creatures they controlled within 4 spaces would get the buff. Not sure though.

~Aldin, controllingly
That's now how it works in the father game at all though.

It would read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon’s Phalanx
All white creatures controlled by the controller of enchanted Planeswalker within 4 clear sight spaces of enchanted Planeswalker get +0/+1.
or
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon's Phalanx
Enchanted Planeswalker gets "All white creatures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of enchanted Planeswalker get +0/+1."
I'm responding to the bit I bolded. I'm not sure how you mean that. An Enchantment Aura cast on an opponent's creature in MtG would have it's printed effect on the creature. So if we're calling this an Enchantment Aura, then that is exactly how it would function "in the father game" if I correctly took your meaning.

I guess the issue is a more general one in some ways. A question of 'once a spell card is played, who owns it?' Probably a good thing for Hasbro to clarify in a FAQ.

~Aldin, outcast

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

First, I typoed "Now" instead of "Not" and have edited my original post to reflect

But in Magic: the Gathering, you still control the enchantment. So for example, "Whenever enchanted creature deals damage, deal 1 damage to target creature." You control that enchantment and you choose the targets to deal that 1 damage to, not the owner of the creature.
Quote:
Enchant Permanent
Creatures you control get +1/+1
In this case, the body the enchantment is on, or the controller of that body, is irrelevant. The control of the enchantment dictates where those +1's go.

The same I argue is true for this AotP enchantment.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Maybe I just don't understand MtG well enough. Let's have an example. If I cast this on an opponent's creature...

...is your expectation that I would get to search my library when it died?

I think you might be right. And I think I just learned something about MtG. And I think that they were trying to strip away a layer of complexity here and have created a question in the minds of anyone familiar with the way it all works in MtG.

I would favor something similar to your second proposed wording, and strongly suspect that was the intent.

~Aldin, who needs to re-read the rules to see if they anywhere clarify ownership of spells after they are cast

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's actually exactly correct. If you were to enchant an opponent's creature with that spell, and that creature died (probably due to the forced attack into your bigger wall - good combo!) you would get the search.

Blue has cards like this:
Enchant opponent's creature
When enchanted creature dies, draw three cards.

The idea is that it reigns the opponent creature in. Sure it doesn't say "Enchanted creature cannot attack or block" but it sure does incentivize the creature not to.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old August 17th, 2015, 02:27 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I know the art and name are just supposed to be for fun but they do imply that the spell is supposed to be played on your own planeswalker. Also the point value on the card is pretty low and I think it would be higher if it were a more versatile spell.
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:34 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

I am completely with Confred on this.

On the subject of name and art, that's one way to look at it.
Another way, is that any white creatures you control that are attacking the opponent's planeswalker are part of Gideon's Phalanx...
Most of the time, flavor text/art/name to theme a card is irrelevant since it's the design of the card that tells the actual story.
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:26 PM

weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby!

As a MtG player (eons ago) I would definitely agree with confred. It is exactly how the card game is played. If this game did not have "Magic the Gathering" in it's title I would assume what @Aldin suggested is correct, but it is Magic. Why would they suddenly decide to change the rules?

I feel this greatly enhances Gideon's struggling in the current meta.

Stoke the Flames enchantment only furthers Confred's point. "Stoke the Flames can enchant only a Planeswalker you control." If this were the case with Gideon's Phalanx, it would have been specified.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Units and Spell Cards