Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old November 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Evolution vs Creation, Youtube series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal0fan117 View Post
I randomly decided to look up my great grandparents, and I'm 1/8th Wiccan.
...and that's another interesting thread idea - is religion inheritable?

~Aldin, who has long been intrigued by the nature/nurture paradigm

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
For what it's worth, my friend likes to advertise himself as being half Jewish and half Christian

You really have to wonder about that though. I have, and some of you guys probably have too, read some of those stories where the parents practice "Y" religion but the kid secretly practices "Z" religion behind their backs or whatever. But at the same time, how often does that kind of thing occur?

Really, it kinda comes down to something like: Is belief related to biology or is the only factor just how you were raised? Is there a point at which biology stops mattering, assuming it matters at all?

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; November 13th, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Although a completely random tangent, very interesting stuff.
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

He's such an amazing designer he can't make a human eye without a blind spot.

He's such an amazing designer he cannot make a human without a tail bone.

He's such an amazing designer he cannot make whales without some popping out with feet just like he cannot make humans without some popping out with tails.

He's such an amazing designer he cannot make a proper appendix.

He's such an amazing designer that he gives us gills (why would a mammal have gills?) while developing in the fetus for a brief period.

He's such an amazing designer he couldn't be bothered to give us a mechanism to synthesize Vitamin C (an ability most animals have).

But don't worry... I'm sure your right because why else would banana's so perfectly fit in our hand?

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to avoid wading into the whole debate right now, but this line makes me think of a story I just read this afternoon.

I like to joke that Judaism is carried in the mitochondrial DNA. This rarely gets a laugh.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!

jotun7
Ok my young friend I'm not going to get into this lengthy discussion again just about everything you present is wrong. I suggest you go and read this thread. It contains more information than you can imagine, Gulp, Ollie, Agent Minivan, jbbnbsmith, Aldin, Bannister, myself and others wage a month long discussion about, evolution, creation, science, the bible, history and more.
Now go read. It's intense and lengthy, so it will take you a while (its 49 pages long) but you should learn a lot.

~I can't believe I'm getting into this again.

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:

That is an interesting idea to discuss.

~Agent Minivann, who likes to pronounce it pair-uh-dig-um.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmospro View Post
jotun7
Ok my young friend I'm not going to get into this lengthy discussion again just about everything you present is wrong. I suggest you go and read this thread. It contains more information than you can imagine, Gulp, Ollie, Agent Minivan, jbbnbsmith, Aldin, Bannister, myself and others wage a month long discussion about, evolution, creation, science, the bible, history and more.
Now go read. It's intense and lengthy, so it will take you a while (its 49 pages long) but you should learn a lot.

~I can't believe I'm getting into this again.
I'm flattered that I was included in the list. I didn't think I posted that much in the thread.

Last edited by Agent Minivann; November 14th, 2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

And I want to apologize for my asnarky post, which was only directed at jotun7 and not all the other members of this board.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Dr Feelgood

Ok, it's time for me to stop being mean to Jotun and be somewhat more serious.

Jotun, since you are the one who brought this up, I'm going to be mostly addressing this to you. I want you to challenge yourself to look up some of this information and actually watch/read it with an open mind. I am also going to present to you the facts as much as possible and if I get something wrong, please call me on it.

That goes the same however for everyone. No "banana's" please. Let's stick to faith and facts, in this case.

Jotun7, I do have a small list of things I want you to think clearly about. And if I provide links (I'll try to keep it under 100 pages ) please honestly check them out.

1. You pretty much got everything wrong about relative dating and sedimentary layering. However, there are not cases of fossils in one strata alongside fossils from creatures from a different time period. That is to say, we do not have Mammoths in the same strata as Dinosaurs or humans in the same strata as the earliest mammals. The fact that we do not find dinosaurs bones alongside creatures who came millions of years later speaks volumes.

2. Consistent radiometic dating. This is one that people get wrong or misunderstand because of confusion between the earliest techniques vs. modern techniques. However, again like the earlier example, we do not get humans that radiometric date 100 million years ago any more than we get dinosaurs that date 10,000 years ago. Time after time we get consistent results. If this was anywhere as unreliable as some would like to suggest, there would be unexplainable variances - something we do not encounter.

Good links for this.... http://www.tim-thompson.com/radiomet...ml#reliability

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-c14.html

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/benton.html

3. The discovery of DNA itself. This one might not make sense at first, however it ties into how science itself works. In science, a theory must make predictions and must be rethought or discarded if new evidence contradicts it. (The single biggest problem of "Intelligent Design theory" is that it is not testable and thus not actually a theory but a vague idea).

If evolutionary theory was wrong, nothing would have overturned it faster than the discovery of DNA. DNA was unknown at the time that evolutionary theory was proposed, but as we have learned more and more of genetics, the more and more evolutionary theory has been supported, not contradicted by studies into DNA. We ARE related by genetics more to the apes (and most closely to chimpanzees) than any other group. DNA studies have shown just how closely life is related to each other (and how close). The very fact that a theory that had no knowledge of DNA was not upturned, but instead supported by it, also speaks volumes.

Also, some questions to think about. If we are not related to the primates, why do we contain the genetic information to make tails? Why, in the womb do we actually grow gills for a brief period. Why would we have the genetic information for that? Why do whales contain the genetic information to make feet? Why do chickens have the genetic information to make teeth?

Some good reading...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXdQR...eature=related
please watch this if you are serious about knowledge...

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

http://www.brighthub.com/science/gen...les/42290.aspx

I'll probably post more on this later, but I really need to be doing work at work

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmospro View Post
I suggest you go and read this thread.
Ack, not this thread again. I was being a total d-bag, although I still stand for what I said back then 100% but I just was saying it completely wrong. I'm not even going to try and argue, since I am pretty bad a presenting an argument. Also, this won't get solved over the internet, and never does.
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Dr Feelgood

If anyone wants to read a clear, scientific (and none christian/god bashing) book on all the evidence for evolution, you cannot do better than this book.

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-...8206360&sr=8-1

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
If anyone wants to read a clear, scientific (and none christian/god bashing) book on all the evidence for evolution, you cannot do better than this book.

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-...8206360&sr=8-1
And if anyone wants to read a clear, timehonored (and none evolution bashing) book on all the evidence and reasons of Christianity, you cannot do better than this book.

The Bible
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
As long as we remember amendment 1 and the separation of church and state, we should be fine.
First Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Could someone explain to me where this says "separation of church and state"? It's not written in the Constitution anywhere, yet I see people (the ACLU, particularly) continually using it to justify removing religious symbols from public land, even though there is no actual law involved in their placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...

Last edited by White Noise; November 14th, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Copied onto the post editor wrong

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General