Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old October 30th, 2015, 02:09 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Giant, skinless humanoids is a big NOPE for me. I see how popular it is and I WANT to want to try it - and every time I see a pic... nope, just nope.

~Aldin, perfectly fine with anatomy books
Bu... bu... but it's like playing Tor-Kul-Na and the Marro Warriors.

Hehehe.
Old October 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Bu... bu... but it's like playing Tor-Kul-Na and the Marro Warriors.

Hehehe.
So different, so very different. Body horror is a no go zone for me.

~Aldin, who enjoys zombie stuff EXCEPT for the parts where they're gnawing on folks innards

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:20 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

My Halloween movie marathon has included two recent Justice League animated movies that I hadn't seen before:

Justice League: The Throne of Atlantis (2014)

Although I was not as happy with the previous JLA animation in this continuity (Wonder Woman with a sword, and Superman having a romance with her identifies this most recent incarnation), I enjoyed this movie, which was true to the oldest Aquaman origin while rebooting his story very well. I think this is my favorite DC animation without Bruce Timm at the helm--and more highly rated by me than the others I've seen. Three Stars.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015)

Bruce Timm is my main man for DC animation, and on this he is Executive Producer, a writer, and a character designer. I've been generally disappointed with the stuff done after he seems to have left to do other things, but he came back! While I don't usually enjoy alternate universe/time line stuff (I usually rate his work as four stars), this one is lots of fun!

Its a giant comics trivia contest. I managed to recognize most of the characters before they were identified, saw many others in background shots, and later on caught on to some hints I hadn't noticed originally about the identity of a few alternate others based on subtle color tinting used on their costumes. These included some of my favorite minor DC characters which again harkened back to my own era of Silver Age comics. I don't want to spoil any points, but they did lots of interesting things, some of which were new and very creative. Three Stars.

Last edited by chas; November 1st, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old October 31st, 2015, 10:14 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
My Halloween movie marathon has included two recent Justice League animated movies that I hadn't seen before:

Justice League: The Throne of Atlantis (2014)

Although I was not as happy with the previous JLA animation in this continuity (Wonder Woman with a sword, and Superman having a romance with her identifies this most recent incarnation), I enjoyed this movie, which was true to the oldest Aquaman origin while rebooting his story very well. I think this is my favorite DC animation without Bruce Timm at the helm--and more highly rated by me than the others I've seen. Three stars.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters (2015)

Bruce Timm is my main main for DC animation, and in this he is Executive Producer, a writer, and a character designer. I've been generally disappointed with the stuff done after he seems to have left to do other things, but he came back! While I don't usually enjoy alternate universe/time line stuff (I usually rate his work as four stars), this one is lots of fun!

I managed to recognize most of the characters before they were identified, saw many others in background shots, and later on caught on to some hints I hadn't noticed originally about the identity of a few alternate others based on subtle color tinting used on their costumes. These included some of my favorite minor DC characters which again harkened back to my own Silver Age Comics. I don't want to spoil anything, but they did lots of interesting things, some of which were new and very creative. Three Stars.
Picked both these up recently so good to know they are worth the watch.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:28 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Watched San Andreas.
It was alright at best, and wasn't really special. You'd enjoy it if you like big explosions, loud noises, disaster, etc. The plot wasn't the best, but if you're watching it, chances are you're watching it for the disaster scenes. It's pretty much a mishmash of explosions, people tragically dying, buildings falling apart, fires, and other disastrous things, with instances of plot sprinkled in. I didn't think highly of it when it finished. It was entertaining to say the least, but not exactly pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Saw the Japanese live-action movie Attack of the Titan the other night. Was disappointed with it. The dissapointment were mostly because I loved the anime and this was a far departure from it.
What if you despise the anime? Might that help your chances?

~TAF, not implying anything
Even if you despised it, there was still a great opening and animation to look forward to. The 3DMG scenes in the anime were gorgeous in my opinion, compared to the movie, in which they look like simply getting from point A to point B in a terribly stylized fashion. The opening was a thing that actually kept my watching, the song and opening animation was superb. I really liked Attack on Titan, but I resolve never to watch the movie.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old November 18th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Spectre
Terrible.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sunday I took my daughters to see Goosebumps. It was cute.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:16 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Spectre
Terrible.
what was your opinion to the previous 3? I've seen the first two.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:02 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I saw Specter and I had the same issue with it that I had with almost all the Daniel Craig Bond films. It takes itself too seriously and is too "dark" yet at the same time has completely ridiculous action - I generally prefer one or the other but not both unless done really well. Sean Connery Bonds seemed more serious and not too ridiculous action, while the Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan Bond movies were more on the other side of the spectrum. For another comparison the Nolan Batman movies are more on the dark & serious but more realistic side, the Disney Avengers movies are on the ridiculous but fun side while, while the 80s Superman and 90s Tim Burton Batman movies were both but somehow worked. Anyway Specter had the same overarching plot as all the other Craig bonds, the newer Mission Impossible movies, and the latest Avengers movies (among many other action movies these days):
There is suspicion that the evil organization is in control of the good organization in a plot to take over the world so the hero (guided mostly be revenge) must do a totally unsanctioned off-books mission with the help of some people working inside of the good organization and at the last second saves the world, including the girl.
Q: How many movies have you seen in the last 10 years where the above plot succinctly describes the movie?

As far as what I watched last night, I did what I like doing every now and then which is watching multiple versions of the same movie scene-by-scene for comparison. Yesterday I watched about half of 3 different movies based off Jane Austin's Emma: one with Gwyneth Paltrow, one with Kate Beckinsale, and newer BBC one with Romola Garai. I like Romola Garai as the best Emma, but some of the other actors are better in others. It is also interesting comparing directing, editing, and even costuming as the newer BBC one so so much more modern in all respects, but sometimes I like the older style.

Some other options (remember, they have to be based off the same book or original script, not just reboot/prequel/sequel):
Various versions of any Shakespeare based movie especially comparing Kenneth Branagh vs BBC vs Hollywood versions.
Action/sci-fi: War of the Worlds, Total Recall, The Thing, Red Dawn
Family Classics: Freaky Friday, Flubber, Herbi, Willy Wanka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Disney Animated vs. Live Action: Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland
Foreign Redoes (mostly the foreign ones are WAY better): Frozen vs. The Snow Queen (British, Russian, and Danish), No Reservations vs. Mostly Martha (German), The Ring (US vs. Japanese), The Debt (US vs. Hebrew), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US vs. Swedish), and Godzilla (US vs Japan vs US vs Japan)

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 18th, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Spectre
Terrible.
what was your opinion to the previous 3? I've seen the first two.
Never seen them. My first Bond since GoldenEye I believe.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old November 18th, 2015, 01:14 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I saw Specter and I had the same issue with it that I had with almost all the Daniel Craig Bond films. It takes itself too seriously and is too "dark" yet at the same time has completely ridiculous action - I generally prefer one or the other but not both unless done really well. Sean Connery Bonds seemed more serious and not too ridiculous action, while the Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan Bond movies were more on the other side of the spectrum. For another comparison the Nolan Batman movies are more on the dark & serious but more realistic side, the Disney Avengers movies are on the ridiculous but fun side while, while the 80s Superman and 90s Tim Burton Batman movies were both but somehow worked. Anyway Specter had the same overarching plot as all the other Craig bonds, the newer Mission Impossible movies, and the latest Avengers movies (among many other action movies these days):
There is suspicion that the evil organization is in control of the good organization in a plot to take over the world so the hero (guided mostly be revenge) must do a totally unsanctioned off-books mission with the help of some people working inside of the good organization and at the last second saves the world, including the girl.
Q: How many movies have you seen in the last 10 years where the above plot succinctly describes the movie?

As far as what I watched last night, I did what I like doing every now and then which is watching multiple versions of the same movie scene-by-scene for comparison. Yesterday I watched about half of 3 different movies based off Jane Austin's Emma: one with Gwyneth Paltrow, one with Kate Beckinsale, and newer BBC one with Romola Garai. I like Romola Garai as the best Emma, but some of the other actors are better in others. It is also interesting comparing directing, editing, and even costuming as the newer BBC one so so much more modern in all respects, but sometimes I like the older style.

Some other options (remember, they have to be based off the same book or original script, not just reboot/prequel/sequel):
Various versions of any Shakespeare based movie especially comparing Kenneth Branagh vs BBC vs Hollywood versions.
Action/sci-fi: War of the Worlds, Total Recall, The Thing, Red Dawn
Family Classics: Freaky Friday, Flubber, Herbi, Willy Wanka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Disney Animated vs. Live Action: Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland
Foreign Redoes (mostly the foreign ones are WAY better): Frozen vs. The Snow Queen (British, Russian, and Danish), No Reservations vs. Mostly Martha (German), The Ring (US vs. Japanese), The Debt (US vs. Hebrew), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US vs. Swedish), and Godzilla (US vs Japan vs US vs Japan)
WOW...that's ambitious. How do you decide which version to watch first. I know in some of those movies somewhat knowing the outcome may skew your opinions. Even for non remake movies it's difficult. I know I saw Oblivion, Total Recall (newist) and Elysium all relatively close together and since Elysium was the last I liked it the least as it felt like I had seen it already. But upon more reflection I wonder if I'd liked it more had I seen it first. Who knows. You should start a thread with your comparisons. It could be a fun read.

Old November 18th, 2015, 01:29 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Yeah which you watch first can definitely jade the viewing experience. For instance I watched Mostly Martha (in German with subtitles) and there is a relationship change I did not see coming in it and thought it was great movie, but then when I watched the American No Reservations I totally saw the change coming but not sure if it is just the American was cliche and dumbed-down or just me watching the other one first affected it (regardless the German one is way better even though 75% of the dialogue is exactly the same, the acting and directing/editing is so much better).

Since then I have been watching about 5-15 min of each then switching movies going a scene or two past the previous so that sometimes I watch parts of either movie first as to not totally jade one over the other. Did with a few Shakesperae movies and it really helped as some of them are confusing so different interpretations help me get a better sense. Comparing old and new sci-fi/action is interesting as newer ones are a lot more fast paced, but I kinda like slower paces ones in most circumstances. I have not watched the various Snow Queen adaptations or The Dept or The Departed/Infernal Affairs, so after Emma, I plan to do those next.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies