Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old July 10th, 2021, 01:11 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 0] Honored Soul-Guides (Lantern Geists) - Playtesti

Evar Scarcarver is a thing
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thinking through my MacDirk battle. I was blessed with the initiative twice. If Tiamat had range (we were testing an army without it) and won init, he could of taken Alistair out quickly and the power would have been moot. I think the power works well and is a cool end game power with lots of different heroes. It just works great with Alistair with perfect Initiative rolls.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:26 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

That's true, a small/medium Krug (Evar, kinda, although again that's a unit I'm OK with helping) would matter. It's a shame that having 1 Life does make the Souls too easy to kill, because I really like the synergies it offers.

And I did have another idea I was working on, but I'm reviewing what we've come up with already and letting this most recent discussion settle in my brain, to see what I can come up with.

Should we maybe move back to Design here?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:20 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Evar could be very unfun to come back at 6A/7D with Double Assault, but needing to win initiative to hit that makes it a bit iffy as to whether it'll actually work or not. He definitely doubles down on the "needing to win initiative to get use out of the revival" aspect a lot.

I'd rather stick it out for a few more tests to verify that the HSGs being best with bonding armies is a problem that we want to try and fix, personally. I'm not convinced yet that we've seen them in action enough to warrant a redesign, or that we have our finger on the right issues to fix if we do jump back.
Old July 16th, 2021, 08:53 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The thing with Evar is that you have to move the HSG into harm's way to set up the great attacks. With Alistair, I could still hide them in the back. I think the one live balances it out. If I am going against these guys, I am sending someone after them early.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old July 24th, 2021, 03:09 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
or that we have our finger on the right issues to fix if we do jump back.
Still been thinking about these guys, and I think the problem (what's been bothering me at least) isn't so much that Bonding is best with them, rather it's that the power feels less like guiding the Hero and more like an excuse to put the Hero back on the board one more time.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:06 PM

HSGs were used in one of two quick playtests at ScapeCon.

Grimnak, Sgt. Drake (RotV), Tetsuo Tyrell, HSGs
vs
Pyria, Velnesh Alphas, Finn, Thorgrimm

The map was a multiplayer map that we simply used small sections of. This was along one edge of the map with a few small hills between start zones.

Grimnak and Tetsuo lead for Team 1, Chomp steadily taking care of the Velnesh when they also lead. Pyria came out to set up Firelines, and Tetsuo was able to boost and attack her, the wound to himself giving the exact roll needed to use her to crisp Finn a little. Drake came up and unfortunately Pyria was able to hit all 3 Heroes. Grimnak was badly wounded and Testuo died, but so did Pyria and Finn, who went on Thorgrim. HSGs revived Tetsuo next round, and he managed to get a turn with Thorgrimm, again with the perfect roll thanks to having max wounds, though there was no one left to use Thorgrim on. I think Thorgrim got Grimnak, but in the end Drake got Thorgrim and the HSGs never left the start zone.

Despite the neat synergy with Mind Jack, this more or less confirmed my feelings that in their current form the HSGs are little more than an extra life for a Hero. Not moving or even getting an Order Marker meant they didn't feel like Guides at all.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd be very open to considering a redesign for this unit. The current implementation, while arguably well-balanced, seems overly fiddly and less thematic than it could be.
Old August 5th, 2021, 11:09 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm a bit wary of a heavy redesign, but I wouldn't mind streamlining the power at all. I hate the negation language in the power and would definitely like to see it removed, especially given how rare negation is already and that including that phrase would require us to explain it in our rulebook. @NecroBlade 's suggestion of making the power once per game could be an opportunity to replace the negation clause.

Personally, I don't mind that the Guides don't take an active role in leading the hero--if anything, I think that the core fantasy of this unit is serviced well by placing the focus squarely on the revived hero rather than themselves. It's okay for them to mostly highlight what makes another unit cool given that that's likely why they'll be drafted anyway.
Old August 28th, 2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I'm a bit wary of a heavy redesign, but I wouldn't mind streamlining the power at all. I hate the negation language in the power and would definitely like to see it removed, especially given how rare negation is already and that including that phrase would require us to explain it in our rulebook. @NecroBlade 's suggestion of making the power once per game could be an opportunity to replace the negation clause.

Personally, I don't mind that the Guides don't take an active role in leading the hero--if anything, I think that the core fantasy of this unit is serviced well by placing the focus squarely on the revived hero rather than themselves. It's okay for them to mostly highlight what makes another unit cool given that that's likely why they'll be drafted anyway.
I'm not sure how much you would consider @Captain Stupendous and my idea a "heavy" redesign. It does, however, involve becoming once-per-game and losing the negation clause.

Focus on the Hero is great and should be part of this power. But my concern is with any power that basically just exists without the unit itself having to do anything. Sort of like how a blanket OM hub would be a terrible idea.

That said, given the lukewarm feelings about the current version and that it's largely a series of patches to try to get it to do what we intended, I propose we move back to design and pursue a slightly different angle.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 28th, 2021, 01:36 PM

As mentioned earlier, I bringing this figure back for a bit of a redesign. I think the current iteration is a bit too complicated and unintuitive for its own good.
Old September 8th, 2021, 12:36 AM

If nothing else, I'd support moving back to Design to iron out those patches and remove mention of negation from the Master Set. We can hash out to what degree a redesign should take there.

to move back to Design.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs