Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM

Logrey has disabled reputation
Tide of Iron info from FFG's website

Hey all. Just saw that Fantasy Flight Games final released a little info about Tide of Iron:

http://fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron.html

Check out that components list!

http://fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron_products.html

Can't wait!

-Logrey
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:49 AM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
This game has my curiosity tweaked. I'm an old SL player.....

-Ski
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM

I never got into any of the Squad Leader stuff. I always heard the rules were a bit daunting, but it was excellent for respresenting tactical warfare. That's really what I'm hoping for with this. I'm burnt out with games depicting WWII on a global scale. I want make man-to-man, tank-to-tank tactical decisions.

On a side note, did you see the part about the planned expansions? Not a big surprise, since expansions are all the rage these days. But assuming I get this one, that makes for one more game I'm actively buying expansions for (which is a long list at this point...)
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
GAH! I need a second job.

Thanks for posting the links, Logrey!

Newb.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Are you kidding me? It's like they said, 'you know, I hear this Memoir 44 does pretty well. Go buy a set, and we'll make one, too.'

I'll stick with the original.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Are you kidding me? It's like they said, 'you know, I hear this Memoir 44 does pretty well. Go buy a set, and we'll make one, too.'

I'll stick with the original.
Okay, a rare shot at Imax here:

So you're sticking w/Axis & Allies, the unbalanced original release?

Seriously, I think it looks cool and who knows it could be something worth looking at. Only a GenCon demo will tell.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
OK, that was fair. A&A did precede the Command and Colors series. I just saw the components, the maps, the way figures work, and the cards, and said, 'Memoir clone.'

But I still don't want this one.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
My only issue with the game is the map. If you look at it, it doesn't represent the scale very well. You could use an AAM map and you wouldn't see a difference. Tactical maps are quite a bit different than operational ones. If you look at a Squad Leader map and compare it to Memior 44, you will see that there are a lot of LOS obstructions and cover in the smaller scale. TOI is missing this and as such looks a bit too abstract. Too bad too!

-Ski
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nice catch, Ski. That was a big turn-off about AAM for me. Scale doesn't have to be perfect but when it is way out of balance it kinda ruins the effect. I'm still gonna check it out but may not jump in with both feet.

Newb.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM

My thoughts exactly about the map. Personally, I'd like a map to be a buildling or a bunker, with surrounding trees. For example, I want to worry about what happens when my men move around a corner. This view is a little too high up for my tastes. I'm still interested, because I dig big games like this. But I'm looking forward to reading the rules.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:48 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
The map scale comments are fair and I agree w/them all. I'm still interested in Viktory II. Has anyone played it?

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:52 AM

I've not played Viktory II but do own it and love how a nation's armed forces are generated. Different terrain plus a city or a town will generate a certain type of unit. It's a one-to-one relationship so if a nation loses a piece of terrain they will lose one of the units generated by that terrain. It keeps the game from falling into the massive troop buildup that Risk can have. Don't get me wrong Risk is still a fun game but Viktory II has a map that can be different each game and a interesting economic design (as mentioned above). I recommend reading the rules on the website and watching the demo vids. We were going to play it last non-HS game night but ended up playing Bootleggers which turned out to be a blast.

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games