Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What's for dinner?

Trying to get back into an acceptable level of fitness by following the Body for life program and subsequently the eating for life program and I plan on following up with P-90x for ultimate awesomeness.

On of our favorite meals out of the EFL book is probably Asian Beef Stir Fry.

8 0z. Spaghetti
1lb. lean steak (tri-tip)
cruched red pepper
garlic
onion
celery
napa cabbage
light soy

My personal favorite is:

Shrimp Scampy

whole wheat penne pasta
olive oil
garlic
shrimp
butter buds
white wine or chicken broth
ground black pepper
lemon
parmesean
parsley

EFL site recipes

P-90-X

Power Blocks

I feel the human body is designed to be omnivorous. People have the lifestyle choice to sustain themselves however they wish though going strictly vegan is very hard to maintain and stay healthy in my eyes. I have a problem with people telling me that I should not eat meat. I do not hear any one standing up for vegetable rights.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I keep kosher, so definitely no pig for me. I do however eat pretty much anything else within the bounds of my dietary restrictions. I love beef and chicken, but actually eat more seafood. Two of my favorite foods in the whole world are tomatoes and spinach; I actually salivate when I think of eating spinach. I also love sushi. I've never tried growing my own vegetables because I've never had the space for more than an herb garden. Hopefully that will change when we get the house we're looking at.

I probably eat less than the governement recommended daily allowance of 6oz of meat, using a lot of beans, eggs and dairy products (which is probably due to keeping kosher, since if I eat dairy, I can't eat meat for a number of hours and have to get protein into the meal some way). I do probably eat more bread products than I ought to.

Since reading a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma", I'm really concerned about the commercialness of what I eat. Basically, the premise of the book is that all industrialized food production boils down to us essentially eating corn. The author posits that cows, pigs, and chickens are all raised on pretty much just corn, even when it is detrimental to the animal's or our health, and then the way food is brought to us or even stored is also mostly corn based.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
I feel the human body is designed to be omnivorous. People have the lifestyle choice to sustain themselves however they wish though going strictly vegan is very hard to maintain and stay healthy in my eyes. I have a problem with people telling me that I should not eat meat. I do not hear any one standing up for vegetable rights.
I know plenty of healthy vegans. I know a couple of unhealthy ones too, but if I were to make an arbitrary judgement on the health of people I know and compare it to what I know of their diets (What? Sometimes I have time on my hands. ), I suspect it's those that eat meat and very few vegetables that would fare worst.

Are you really saying your lack of awareness of vegetable rights activists is your justification for eating meat? You'd be equally comfortable slaughtering a cow as picking a carrot?

The food we choose to eat has consequences: economical, ecological, ethical, and probably other words that begin with e. I believe that we should think about those consequences and act accordingly. I'm not claiming that I live up to my own principles, but I have them, they're constantly evolving as I learn more, and I try to. I'm paraphrasing someone I can't remember here, but there are essentially two types of people: hypocrites and douchebags. A hypocrite is someone with standards too high for them to achieve. A douchebag is someone with such low standards that he/she can achieve them. I'd rather be a hypocrite. Anyone know the original quotation?
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My motto is: everything in moderation.

Mostly I try to eat whole foods that I cook. I try to stay away from pre-packaged foods. I have a garden that I water with collected rain water. We usually grow tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, onions, and hot peppers.

My diet is about: 40% protein, 25% veggies, 25% fruits, 10% carbs. I usually eat 5-6 meals a day. I've done this for about 15 years and I've stayed at a respectable 180-185 pounds at 6 ft. tall.

My favorite recipe is my nana's rice and beans. I can make it now almost like hers. My favorite method of cooking is grilling and smoking. I really like to cook skirt steak directly on the coals ala Alton Brown.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
since if I eat dairy, I can't eat meat for a number of hours
Is this a kosher thing, or something else?

Jim, asking because I simply have no idea

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Since reading a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma", I'm really concerned about the commercialness of what I eat. Basically, the premise of the book is that all industrialized food production boils down to us essentially eating corn. The author posits that cows, pigs, and chickens are all raised on pretty much just corn, even when it is detrimental to the animal's or our health, and then the way food is brought to us or even stored is also mostly corn based.
I'm reading A Nation of Farmers at the moment and it makes a similar point (quoting Pollan and adding biofuels into the mix too) on the way to advocating that 100 million of us need to get into the business of growing at least some of our own food. I can't say that I recommend it unreservedly (the writing can be a little clunky and sometimes the arguments seem either too detailed or not backed up, though I suspect that's the fault of my existing knowledge, or lack thereof, rather than the book) but one of the author's blogs is consistently very good, even if I don't always agree with her conclusions. Indeed, my lack of praise for the book probably stems from disappointment that the book wasn't like the best aspects of her blog, but deeper and better.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
since if I eat dairy, I can't eat meat for a number of hours
Is this a kosher thing, or something else?

Jim, asking because I simply have no idea
Yes it is. Basically, the Torah prohibits "boiling a calf in it's mother's milk", which has been construed by the rabbis to prohibiting the consumption of meat and dairy together. To further "build a fence around the law", they said that meat and dairy shouldn't be eaten within a certain number of hours of each other. The practice I follow says 1 hour after dairy and 3 hours after eating meat, but I have seen 4 and 7 or 2 and 6, even .5 and 1 from more "liberal" Jewish sects.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Shermif knows what's in an order marker Shermif knows what's in an order marker

As an Eagle Scout, my standards for the food I eat are very low. Backpacking and canoeing for weeks at a time can really train you to eat whatever is available whenever you can.
I have few qualms about eating meat, but I can understand the sentiments of vegetarians and Vegans, insofar as I believe that animals are mistreated much of the time, whether being milked, "egged" or slaughtered.
In short, my position is that if we ever stop killing people, I will jump right on the vegetarian bandwagon. What can I say? I'm not much of a a multi-tasker when it comes to causes.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker

I have little qualms about what I eat, as long as it does taste good. My reaction upon seeing the consumption of live Sashimi was simply, "I want to try that!"

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

I love eating pasta, but for some reason I never can finish spaghetti-like pasta dishes. It just overwhelms me. The only one I can truely finish is a huge bowl of fettucini alfredo.
I personally will eat most things. Things off the list are-
Mushrooms
Green and Hot Peppers
Extremely Spicy Food
Shellfish except crab
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I dislike cooked mushrooms; I'm a big texture person when it comes to food, and things I dislike are often for how they feel in my mouth. I like raw mushrooms though. Other things I dislike are raisins and asparagus, but that's pretty much it. I love spicy foods.... man, a good Thai dish on a lazy summer day, nothing better. It's a good thing I live in Texas next to a river (lazy summer day), and across the street from a Thai food place.

Old June 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am a omnivore too, However I tend to eat on the natural food side more. For example our family has a garden and we eat from that when possible. We have done this garden for almost as long as I can remember. Most of the time things turn out well but, you can only control the vermin so much.

Also when it comes to meat, My family is rather particular. Instead of buying meat at the store every time, we just decided to order half of a cow. Or was it a whole cow? Not only is the meat much better for you (grass fed animals, are much better for your body) But it is ALOT cheaper in the long run. You get enough meat on that to last you for a year! depending on how much you eat on the meat side.

14568 wins, -3 losses.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General