Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2017 Custom Unit Competition
#1 - Greater Lava Elemental 2 11.11%
#2 - Greater Fire Elemental 6 33.33%
#3 - Swamp Elemental 2 11.11%
#4 - Uisollpheist 0 0%
#5 - Empress Geoton 0 0%
#6 - Greater Mercury Elemental 7 38.89%
#7 - Greater Metal Elemental 6 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:36 AM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
May Custom Competition: Winner Announced!

Sorry for the delay folks, but without further ado let's recognize the hard work of our winning entrant Sam, and his entry the Greater Mercury Elemental!!
Feed back thread here

The theme was 'greater elemental', and so I thought about what that actually meant - the Western elements of earth, air, fire, and water are present as elementals in 'scape, but maybe there's room for the Chinese elements of earth, fire, metal, wood, and water... and just maybe, if we're thinking elemental properties, it's worth thinking about the periodic table of elements? My mind went to mercury, which both fits the periodic approach and the Chinese approach as it could be a variation of a metal elemental. For points, I figure anywhere between 110 and 150 would be reasonable, I'd lock that down later.

My design philosophy is, as much as possible, to find a strong theme and then to roughly approximate what the powers and stats would look like (broad terms, like 'moves fast', 'hits hard', 'has contact damage power', etc, but this also includes an approximate points range), and then when this is all making sense to tweak the mechanics to fit the theme. Here, I know mercury is liquid at room temperature, solid at -40C, and burns on contact which gave me some ideas for a state change power and contact damage.

(yes, I know you can touch mercury, but it's a bad idea and I'm choosing to ramp the concept up for dramatic and more immediate effect)

I didn't want the state change to penalise the figure, wanting it to be equally albeit differently playable depending on the state, so I figured it could be fast-moving most of the time but slower, more solid and therefore harder hitting on snow and ice spaces. Faster-moving suggested maybe Phantom Walk to assist in getting around, especially for a liquid-based elemental, but this had to go for the solid state. After that it got a refinement to how the contact damage would work, allowing it to happen less in a solid state as there's no 'splash' as a liquid state might have, and it was done.

I want to congratulate all our other entrants below on a great competition! Everyone had creative and exciting ideas. If anyone wants their names and creative thoughts posted with their entries please PM me or feel free to add it to the thread.

Thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang
saw this contest and I wanted to try to do something a little different from the standard four European Elements. Having been vaguely familiar with the Chinese Elements of Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water from an early age, I've thought ever since shortly after the Elementals were first released that the specifically Chinese Elements would make interesting additions to the game (at least partially because, at that time, there were still only six Generals, and the ones lacking Elementals, Ullar and Vydar, were perfect fits for Wood and Metal, respectively). As such, I decided I wanted to design a Chinese Elemental, deciding on Metal since it was my first impulse and I was unable to find a decent figure for a Greater Wood Elemental (at least until I stumbled across a perfect one after submitting my entry....). Having decided upon Metal, my main priority was to try to make it distinct from the Iron Golem - in order to do this, I dropped its attack to four and its defence to five (the defence rising back to six following playtesting) and came up with the Deadly Ricochet power as I felt it was thematic and in an attempt to make it more of a ranged counter and less of a hero-killer. I had also raised its Life to 4, but, at my brother's suggestion, I later included the From the Earth power, in an attempt to convey some of the Chinese spirituality of element generation (it perhaps should have been called Earth Bears Metal, in retrospect), and as such dropped it's Life to 3 since it was capable of healing.

Last edited by chief; June 9th, 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:11 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: May Custom Competition Voting Poll (closes may 31st)

I really liked the ricochet power on the metal guy. I liked some of the powers on some of the cards . Great job guys.
I liked the burnout blast power but didnt really care for him coming back to do it over and over.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:18 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good looking batch of entries, I regret not setting my musing to keyboard.

What's interesting about this contest is we have one Greater Elemental, but it doesn't have a corresponding lesser elemental, and we have four lesser elemental that don't have a corresponding Greater Elemental. This creates a design frame work, but still much room for creativity.

Greater Lave Elemental- Nine threat range with a five base attack is very potent. It's interesting that Intense Heat effects your figures as well, I actually like that. It creates dynamic interplay between the Greater Lave Elemental and the rest of your army. To an extent it'll have to act as a lone wolf. As I was reading the card I was already thinking of armies and strategy that would maximize his powers. This alone doesn't necessarily make it a good custom, or that it would hold up after playtesting, but it defiantly got me thinking, so bonus points for that.

Greater Fire Elemental-Overall Burnout Blast is a cool thematic power. There are some minute wording that cause far reaching implications. First off you don't have to reveal an OM to activate Burnout Blast. As an Utgar hero the implication are obvious. Since you will most often be using Burnout Blast when the Greater Fire Elemental is heavily wounded, having the OM flexibility that Ornak provides should prove invaluable. The other niche strategy I see is using Greater Fire Elemental as a Theracus bomb. Greater Fire Elemental is only medium five so this gambit is possible. This seems like a pretty big theme break to me. Empress Geoton is also medium, but the Theracus bomb is less viable of a strategy, as such I have less of a problem with her. Being able to move before using Burnout Blast is a major advantage. If it was instead of moving the power would act as a quasi Dying Sweep. With it being after moving you now have Brimstone meets DW7K.

While Burnout Blast doesn't require an OM the opposite is true for Everlasting Fire. This is absolutely critical. Without that phrase we would have Thanos Fire storm all over again. As such the power is not as strong as it appears to be. I do find it odd that if you reveal an OM on a Fire Elemental and roll successfully you could place your Greater Fire Elemental adjacent to a different Greater Fire Elementally. It's also odd that regular Fire Elemental's can produce Greater Fire Elemental's, but that's just a personal quibble.

Swamp Elemental-Unfortunately I can't see the card for this one.

Uisollpheist- I like that Ullar got another protector, because of that Uisollpheist reminds me of Ulmo from the Silmarillion . I only wish that she would have followed Aquilla like the Water Elemental. I understand that she isn't technically a Greater Water Elemental but for all intents and purposes she is one. Uisollpheist Being as Uncommon hero as opposed to a Unique hero as the unique name suggests is something else that I'm not too keen on.

Other then that I like what I see. Body of Water is a natural upgrade from Water Mastery and I like the repurposed conditional Fire Line Special Attack. As I read it Water Summon allows you to place a water tile on a glyph. I'm not sure it that was the powers intention. Would the water tile cover the glyph or would the glyph be placed on top of the tile? I'm not really sure, I can't think of any precedent for this. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the card and this conjecture is moot. I also think the card should read land space instead of non water, therefor you won't be able to stack it on shadow or lave. Regardless it's an interesting power. Forgoing an attack is a big price, but it's a needed counter balance. I think most competitive map are built in such a way that placing a water tile won't be too divesting to your opponent. Where a lot the powers value comes from is it's self synergyzation (not a word) with other Water Elemental. Using Uisollpheist early to place some water tiles on strategic high point on the map will help your secondary water forces. It's kind of like building little outpost for your next wave. That's a interesting concept that Uisollpheist better explores then Mika Connour.

Empress Geoton- As a rule I'm adverse to four power card unless they have a very good reason for having that forth power. This is just my personal prejudice.

Rumbling Earth and Loyalty to no Other are nice little thematic powers. What has me concerned is Rockslide. There's no space or line of site restrictions and you have a good chance to revive a Earth Elemental every turn. Kurrok needs line of site, has a space restriction and either revives or activates, not both. Sure with Geoton you activate one less, but you get to take a turn with Geoton as well. You can play Geoton like the Hive where she just sits in your starting zone while you send wave after wave of Earth. When the Earth die you can send Geoton into the battle. While your opponent brings down the capable Geoton she'll be summoning and activating the earth that she manges to revive from the first wave.

This makes me think that she is under costs or potentially over powered. There's some good ideas there I just feel they need some tweaks. Or maybe my speculation is way off base. As over ten years of theory scapeing has showed us is, until you get the figure to the board you can never be sure.

Greater Mercury Elemental-Creative theming. I think I know what the designer was going for thematically, and It looks good to me. But I also feel I don't have quite enough knowledge on the properties of Mercury to make a complete call.

This looks like a nice polished custom. I like how there's both positives and negatives to occupying snow spaces. It will really make you assess each situation and force you to pick what you want to priorities. This type of design philosophy is among my favorite in Scape. You don't see a lot of customs that have non contrived interplay between all three powers.

State of Matter negating Phantom Walk can't be overlooked. This limits the Greater Mercury Elemental ability to shark significantly. I view this a positive design feature. It creates more decisions for the player controlling the Elemental and more room for creative counter play form their opponent.

Greater Metal Elemental-Last but not least, the spiritual brethren to Iron Golem.

Iron Tough is a standard thematic recycling and From the Earth is a nice basic thematic powers. The real meat of this card is lies in Deadly Ricochet 12. This is my favorite power of the competition. First off not only is it thematic, you also get a really cool visual in your head with this power. There are three other stipulations that make this power interesting to me, those being figures with a range of four or more are effected, that you choose a figure within three spaces and that you must choose a figure to receive a wound. The possibility of harming your own figure makes it so you have to be cognizant of your unit placement. If Greater Metal Elemental is by your other figures, ranged squad could rain down fire from more then four spaces away. Either they put wounds on the Greater Metal Elemental or have a good chance of ricocheting at the Elemental's own figures.That's a very creative weakness. This strategy can also be used to artificially extend their range, in a somewhat similar manner to the Quahon lighting rod strategy. Note that even when four range figures are engaged to Greater Metal Elemental they are still subject to Ricochet. This makes him a really good ranged counter.

This is a stand alone melee hero that is good against ranged and special attackers and weaker against melee normal attacks. This is an antithesis to so much of what Heroscape was built upon. Right of hand I can't think of a figure that matches those characteristics.

Greater Metal Elemental and Greater Mercury Elemental are the two that I can't decided between, both great customs.

Last edited by infectedsloth; May 22nd, 2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:29 AM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Lot's of cool and interesting concepts! I can't see the 3rd entry, so I'll hold off on voting until that gets fixed and/or the last day.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:10 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Can you see #3 now?

Everyone should be able to see #3 Swamp Elemental now. If you already voted before the image was fixed and would like to cast a vote for #3, please PM with your vote. It will be kept anonymous.

Last edited by chief; May 22nd, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:48 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, looks like we got a great set of entries. This one will be a(n iron) tough decision.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:20 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

They are all really well thought out, and all have excellent flavor. In the end, it was a tough choice between Greater Metal Elemental (would like to see "metal" replaced with "iron", but that's just me) and Greater Fire Elemental, and I went with the one that I'm more likely to play - Greater Fire Elemental gets my vote!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

If anyone knows me, I LOVE synergy, especially for elementals, so I will only consider ones that have direct or indirect synergy with other units, especially lower rated units.

#1 - Greater Lava Elemental - Only mildly helps figures that have Lava Resistance, I wish that the Intense heat made molten lava instead of lava field to help Obsidian Guards and pretty much all the other figures with LR. Very similar to Greater ICE Elemental stats and powers swapping snow/ice for molten lava/lava field, which is both good and bad thing on the creative standpoint.
#2 - Greater Fire Elemental - Great combo with Fire Elementals. Obviously best army is Kurrok + Firestorm (7+ FE) + this GFE as Kurrok could respawn baby elementals which could respawn Greater elementals, but at least the Om requirement with D20 18+ keeps it rational so not too overpowered. My only issue is that FE don't need help, and he only has synergy with that one figure.
#3 - Swamp Elemental - Great combo with Marro Drudge & Microcorp Agents, and even to a certain extent Water Elemental, Sahuagin Raider, & even Quasatch Hunters. Not sure how this would work with Greater Ice Elemental - does land become swamp water become ice? I really like the synergy with Drudge and Microcorp as makes very map dependent figures be rated A on any map - maybe even too good, but he does have low life/defense, so not too overpowered.
#4 - Uisollpheist - Really like the synergy of this figure adding water to map as he helps the same figures mentioned above (minus Marro Drudge), plus anyone with Slither. I think adding life based on where you standing is weird as with 6 wounds you would die when you move, and I think the price is a high, but otherwise one of the best thematically designed figures here.
#5 - Empress Geoton - I like being able to respawn Earth Elemetals without requiring Kurrok - of the Elementals, Earth needs the most help so like him just for this, and love that she double bonds with EE as well. I also like all her other powers a lot as they work together and the stats and price seems right. My only gripe is there is only one figure she has synergy with.
#6 - Greater Mercury Elemental - no synergy.
#7 - Greater Metal Elemental - no synergy.

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 22nd, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:26 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Since Kurrok synergises with Small or Medium Elementals rather than Common ones (which seems to me like a design flaw on his card, but nevermind ) I'd be concerned about the Greater Fire Elemental being OP. Otherwise, really cool set of designs! Oh, and lefton4ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
#5 - Empress Geoton - I like being able to respawn Earth Elemetals without requiring Kurrok - of the Elementals, Earth needs the most help so like him just for this, and love that he double bonds with EE as well. I also like all his other powers a lot as they work together and the stats and price seems right. My only gripe is there is only one figure he has synergy with.
I have a feeling you missed something here.
Also, what figure is that Swamp Elemental? It looks awesome!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:00 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Lazy Orang - nice check on lady elemental. Also, you are right, I did not notice that Kurrok both summons and can take a turn with a mix of 3 Greater and "lesser" fire Elementals, or be able to resurrect - that is powerful. Kurrok + GFE + Raelin = 320 + add enough Fire Elementals til points. However, I think all 3 of GFEs powers are very situational and rarely used (except for LR makes resistant to Searing Intensity), so maybe not as powerful as one would think, as unit is best used as cleanup once Kurrok is dead. Like many other units here, playtesting might prove otherwise.

Suggestion for those who did not create you own units - playtest you favorite 2 or 3, then vote. Just a suggestion, but I think some of these units are probably under or over powered, especially for cost - but hard to tell until played with (that includes my own unit).
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:04 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Oh boy, just one day left until the prizes* are shelled out.

*there are no prizes. If you want prizes, go to this contest.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old June 2nd, 2017, 10:53 AM

Looks like #6 - Greater Mercury Elemental won, with #2 & #7 a close second, unless #3 got a bunch of PM votes. Not my favorite one, but congratulations either way.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards