Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Random Draft Round I

A fun way I've found to build armies and use some figures that might otherwise gather dust is to divide up the cards into certain piles, then deal a number of cards from each pile to each player, who then creates a 500pt army from the cards given him/her. I've been separating range/melee units, then creating expensive (briefly, 100+)/cheap (briefly, under 100) piles for each of those (i.e. expensive melee, cheap melee, expensive range, cheap range). Partly due to the number of cards I have and partly to keep some balance, I deal two ER and two CR cards to each player, then 3 EM and 3 CM.

Each player builds his/her army with those cards, choosing no more than 2 ranged cards. Range includes anyone who can directly attack/destroy non-adjacent units, such as Mimring, but not area of effect, like Runa. Common units can be used in any multiples up to the number I have available. A mix of squads/heroes is preferable, but left up to the players.

Here's an example pile:
James Murphy
Agent Carr
Deathwalker 9000
Nakita Agents
Tarn Viking Warriors
Zombies of Morindan (up to 4 available)
Izumi Samurai
The Einar Imperium (^2)
Runa
Sgt. Alexander Drake

Who would you choose and why? My goal is to help us share the inner workings of our minds when it comes to drafting and pre-battle strategy. If enough different ideas are posted and interest is expressed, I'll continue with random draft rounds, putting up voting after each, and eventually playing each army against each other. So who would you choose and why?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:07 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Murph - 75
Nakitas - 120
Izumi - 60
Zombies x4 - 240

Total = 495

I don't have much stratagy to offer here, just trying to get the most value out of the units. Izumi and the Zombies can set up a nice meat shield for the agents, or you could lead out with the agents to lay some cover fire to get the Zombies in there. Murph also becomes better with a white chick at his side.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
Here's the first thing that came to mind...not necesarily the best.

120 Nakitas
280 Einar Imperium x2
100 Agent Carr

500 Total

Nakitas can go out and lie down cover fire for the EI. The EI swoop in and decimate the opposition. Carr can play clean-up by out-manuevering and shooting melee units or closing and chopping up remaining ranged units.

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Random Draft Round I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Here's an example pile:
James Murphy
Agent Carr
Deathwalker 9000
Nakita Agents
Tarn Viking Warriors
Zombies of Morindan (up to 4 available)
Izumi Samurai
The Einar Imperium (^2)
Runa
Sgt. Alexander Drake

Who would you choose and why?
I wanted to make sure I responded before looking at what others have said so I apologize in advance for any similarities in my army/reasoning.

The first thing for me to consider is that my opponent will also have a somewhat eclectic army. This means that I am free to use units that are vulnerable to certain types of armies (like the Zombies who would be vulnerable to an all range army). I want to keep the number of cards on which I place Order Markers low to maximise the percentage of my army I can use on any given turn (favoring high cost units like TEI and DW9k). I also want to exploit any synergies that may exist (like the Nakitas with their smoke powder). All that said:

Zombies x4 240
Nakita Agents 120
TEI x1 140

The trick with this army is to make it into engagement range intact. The Nakitas help by providing smoke powder protection and opportunity fire. TEI are there for mobility, I probably wouldn't even put an order marker on them until after the Zombies have engaged.

~Aldin, using all 500 points

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion