Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old February 13th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

The Reworks:

Obsidian Wastes 1.1

Improved the flow of the map. Removed the height next to the glyphs. Moved the ruins to provide better cover from more forward positions.
---------------------

Lost Road Marsh 1.1

I moved a lot of stuff around, managed to connect the road, and open up the glyph areas. The map is also a couple hexes shorter now, so travel time should be diminished.

Please feel free to leave any feedback you might have on any of my maps.

Last edited by Leaf_It; February 19th, 2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 03:27 AM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Oops I made too many maps.

Valcarren Crevice
Spoiler Alert!
@Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog @Nomad @Robber What do you think?

--------
These next 2 were made for the contest, but I didn't like them for one reason or another, so I'm not submitting them.

Volcanic Warehouse
Spoiler Alert!

Edge of the Jungle
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Leaf_It; March 4th, 2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 09:50 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

There is an inherent problem with most crevice maps. That is: side-to-side movement. It's very difficult to be able to set up a map with a crevice that allows melee to still be competitive. Unfortunately this map doesn't lend itself well to melee. This is a map that range units will love for it's ability to take a hill, and without taking lava height, still being able to probably get height attacks and shoot across the way. Melee will either have to charge a hill allowing range to skirt around to the other side and shoot...or they'll have to try and divide and spread out in order to keep range from running. Neither strategies will work very well for melee on this map. Looks great, but this is one I'd be pretty concerned about playing on in a range vs melee battle, and being primarily a melee player...I'm usually pretty aware of things like this.

The warehouse was is meh, so I agree with you there...BUT I actually LOVE the Jungle one. I think that's your best build. Why do you not like it? I love that the move glyph is accessible to 4, 5 and 6 move figures within 2 activations and really makes that part of the map a place for focus early on. I'm only slightly concerned Dagmar is 2 turns from 6 move and 3 turns from 5 move...but considering it activates at the beginning of the next round and that a 5 move army could grab the move glyph and then take Dagmar...I'm not too worried about that and I think it works. Concerns also might be the hill in the stone area...but getting there and setting up shop would require giving up the move glyph and that gives a great advantage to your opponent to engage the position...not to mention the ruins that will really help out blocking LOS. I honestly think this is a really strong map design.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 4th, 2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
There is an inherent problem with most crevice maps. That is: side-to-side movement. It's very difficult to be able to set up a map with a crevice that allows melee to still be competitive. Unfortunately this map doesn't lend itself well to melee. This is a map that range units will love for it's ability to take a hill, and without taking lava height, still being able to probably get height attacks and shoot across the way. Melee will either have to charge a hill allowing range to skirt around to the other side and shoot...or they'll have to try and divide and spread out in order to keep range from running. Neither strategies will work very well for melee on this map. Looks great, but this is one I'd be pretty concerned about playing on in a range vs melee battle, and being primarily a melee player...I'm usually pretty aware of things like this.
Hmm... I see what you mean. Maybe I'll rework it, maybe I'll drop it like the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
The warehouse was is meh, so I agree with you there...BUT I actually LOVE the Jungle one. I think that's your best build. Why do you not like it? I love that the move glyph is accessible to 4, 5 and 6 move figures within 2 activations and really makes that part of the map a place for focus early on. I'm only slightly concerned Dagmar is 2 turns from 6 move and 3 turns from 5 move...but considering it activates at the beginning of the next round and that a 5 move army could grab the move glyph and then take Dagmar...I'm not too worried about that and I think it works. Concerns also might be the hill in the stone area...but getting there and setting up shop would require giving up the move glyph and that gives a great advantage to your opponent to engage the position...not to mention the ruins that will really help out blocking LOS. I honestly think this is a really strong map design.
I reworked Edge of the Jungle a lot and got tired of it. I actually made a few changes to it just before posting it here, and I think that's why you like it, because one of those changes was to move the startzones. It was a completely accident that they work out as well as you are saying. Before I moved them, you could Zelrig bomb the other players startzone. I moved them back because I found that I had more swamp terrain left over than I though I did. Looking at it more, I think I might go with it over Valcarren Crevice for now. I like Valcarren Crevice though, so I'm going to rework it.
Old March 4th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I like the looks of Valcarren Crevice. It's got a pretty good basic design going on. The side-to-side movement is a little rough, but not terrible in my opinion. Though I think in order to help melee units crossing through the crevice you could try rearranging the LoS blockers. Right now they're just kind of there, but if you rearrange them to where they'll be shielding figures running through the middle and hindering those on the non-lava height then that will help the map out a ton. I also have very very very mild concerns about the holes in the map where you can see the table -- nothing game breaking, just a mild aesthetic nitpick. I wouldn't outright reject a map on that alone. But overall it looks pretty cool and I think it's headed in a good direction.
Though I have to say - it's Volcarren, not Valcarren. And the name is throwing me off like crazy. I don't know if that's intentional, but every time I see it I react. I shouldn't, but I do.

Volcanic Warehouse is a neat idea, but way too small for competitive use. Could be cool as a small Scraps-style map though.

Edge of the Jungle makes me hungry because the swamp water is shaped like a pretzel. You've already submitted it so I won't worry about going too far into workshopping-oriented comments, but it looks cool overall. A solid choice for submission - I could have seen this one or Volcarren Crevice as a good submission. Great work!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 4th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Looks good Leaf It. I like the Edge of the Jungle Map the most. Good choice of submitting that one.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 02:50 AM

@Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog @Nomad @Robber What do you think?

Ruined City

...just imagine the walkways aren't there...

Rocky Mounds

Last edited by Leaf_It; July 26th, 2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:48 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm unfortunately not one of the judges, but I look like the look of both maps a lot!

Ruined City has a really cool circular look that not many maps have, and overall the pathing seems really strong.

I also really like the look of Rocky Mounds. I think a lot of times 2 RttFF maps end up looking all the same, but this one feels pretty distinct. The one thing I'm worried about is how open the center of the map is. It feels like whoever controls the mound has a clear line of sight against almost anyone approaching it. The shape of the mound almost begs for there to be a large ruin right in the middle of it, but maybe that's just my taste. Either way, I think your map might benefit from more line of sight blocking in the middle.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 12:07 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am also not a judge, but I love when people have shared their thoughts with me.

I agree with @rednax about Rocky Mounds. I definitely like the look of it, but that high middle ground seems a little much. Perhaps in addition to some LOS changes (one of the ruins up top might be a great idea), but you also might consider some road adjustments to come up towards that great hill - for example, the part along the sides where the road dips down to come around the tree, what if that went up instead so that it came next to the big hill? I think if there wasn't so much height in the middle, and if there were power glyphs on the side instead of treasure glyphs, I'd leave it how you have it now, but like this, I think the road would be better used to help approach the big hill.

Take my thoughts for what they're worth. Great work my friend!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 22nd, 2018, 02:43 PM

I made a few changes. Before I go to the trouble of making/uploading a new pdf, does this look any better? Also, would Treasure Glyphs, or Power Glyphs be better for this map?

Old July 22nd, 2018, 03:25 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I made a few changes. Before I go to the trouble of making/uploading a new pdf, does this look any better? Also, would Treasure Glyphs, or Power Glyphs be better for this map?

I like the first version more. Add in the big ruin up top to cut LoS down the middle. The multi-hex platforms in the first version are better than the single-hex spaces in the second version.

Along with adding the ruin, move the Glyph to the corner of the road to allow Melee to use the road to attack a Glyph holder. Then move the double-space hex by the Glyph forward a space so that it’s adjacent to the Glyph again.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:04 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I like the second version, though I do agree there seem to be too many 1-hex "Raelin perches". The problem here is that a player can place her on a Raelin perch on either side or in the middle and have a pretty strong position for her to sit (especially the one near the large tree which doesn't allow her to be engaged by the road). I like the fun variations in this map with the ease of development, road, LoS blockers and the fun middle rock mound. I think the theme you're going for is mounds and not Ruins, but I think there have been some good suggestions here for adding them in. personally, I don't know what would be better. I could see the small Ruin in the very center being pretty cool and limiting a camping army in the center, but I also kinda like the idea of the Ruins surrounding the mound as a means for melee to hide and then charge the hill. Not sure what the direction is you're looking for...but I'd suggest playing with incorporating the Ruins. Otherwise, I like the design so far, and I think it's got some good potential.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios