Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine

New from "Outtaourass Press"?
It's actually a very good series that compares themes in many different movies, TV shows, etc. to philosophical ideas, including Seinfled: A Book About Everything and Nothing; The Simpsons: The D'oh! of Homer; The Matrix: Welcome to the Desert of the Real; Buffy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale; Lord of the Rings: One Book to Rule Them All; Baseball: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box; The Sopranos: I Kill Therefore I Am; Woody Allen: You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?; Harry Potter: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts; Mel Gibson's Passion: The Cross, the Questions, the Controversy; More Matrix: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded; and the one I'm currently reading.

More volumes in the works include Superheroes, The Atkins Diet, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Hip-Hop. No, I did not make any of the above up.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Before I read Wolves, I actually read every Gray Death book. The origins are great, the further adventures are OK, but the final book was just to depressing for words. It seemed more like a sad attempt to end the CBT era. I found many instances of that toward the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot
I am reading Wolves at the border - Robert N Charrette - Classic Battletech - I love that era.
Excellent choice I'm particularly fond of the series of books on the foundation of the Grey Death Legion.

~Aldin, who can't quite keep up with the new Dark Ages stuff

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Quote:

It's actually a very good series that compares themes in many different movies, TV shows, etc. to philosophical ideas, including Seinfled: A Book About Everything and Nothing; The Simpsons: The D'oh! of Homer; The Matrix: Welcome to the Desert of the Real; Buffy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale; Lord of the Rings: One Book to Rule Them All; Baseball: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box; The Sopranos: I Kill Therefore I Am; Woody Allen: You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?; Harry Potter: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts; Mel Gibson's Passion: The Cross, the Questions, the Controversy; More Matrix: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded; and the one I'm currently reading.

More volumes in the works include Superheroes, The Atkins Diet, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Hip-Hop. No, I did not make any of the above up.
Man... Outtaourass Press has quite the collection going.

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Mindfreak is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Quote:

Where did you get those? What seection are they in?
I'm Reading Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows.
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Maska is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Emerald Eyes
The Long Run
Last Dancer

all by Daniel Keys Moran .... and for literally like the 30th time.

"The Crystal Wind is the Storm, the Storm is Data, the Data is Life." - The Players Litany
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM

royaldoy has disabled reputation
2nd book in the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams. Slow going but enjoyable none-the-less.

I choose you...Isamu!
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot
Before I read Wolves, I actually read every Gray Death book. The origins are great, the further adventures are OK, but the final book was just to depressing for words. It seemed more like a sad attempt to end the CBT era. I found many instances of that toward the end.
Bah! I just wrote and then deleted a massively fanboy post. Suffice to say I basically agree with you, though I rather enjoyed the clan story arc and the tale of Victor Ian Steiner-Davion.

~Aldin, who usually designs mechs for firepower rather than agility

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDrill
The Seige of Eternity by Frederick Pohl, The Return of Nathan Brazil by Jack Chalker, and Live from New York by Tom Shales.

I usually have 3 or 4 books going at once... whichever one happens to be closest when I'm in the mood to read, I grab it and go.
You must be talented - i don't think i'd be able to manage more than one at a time - I would just get so muddled up with storylines etc.
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
I just finished "Learning the World" by Ken MacLeod, currently my favorite SF writer. This was another great read.

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfreak
Where did you get those?
I got it as a gift, so I don't know what to tell you. Amazon might have them, or there's more info on their site, opencourbooks.com (not outtaourasspress.com).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM

oni is surprisingly tart
I'm in the middle of reading 3 books, Daywatch by Sergei Lukyanenko, Corum: The Coming of Chaos by Michael Moorcock, and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami.

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
I just finished reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. It's a novel about the events of the battle of Gettysburg and it won a Pulitzer Prize. I highly recommend it. The Ted Turner movie "Gettysburg" was based on this book. (Just be warned that while it gets 90% of the actual battle right it is not completely historically correct. That doesn't make it a bad book, just don't walk away from it thinking you've read a historical account of the battle.) Even General Norman Schwarzkopf says that this is "the best and most realistic historical novel about war I have ever read." And who's to doubt "Stormin Normin"?

(And yes, believe it or not, Grishnakh can read.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books