Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

View Poll Results: Which has better speakers?
Your Home Stereo 9 52.94%
Your Car Stereo 1 5.88%
Your Computer? 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
Which of your speakers sounds the best?

I was talking with someone, and realized something. I have a 9 year-old set of computer speakers that I paid $50 for (9 years ago) attached to my PC. They actually perform and sound better than any home or car stereo speakers I've ever had. Heck, I haven't even heard anyone's home stereo sound better (except for one guy who spent $2000 dollars upgrading his home system) than those old PC speakers of mine. Am I running into a lot of crappy systems, or are my speakers really just that incredibly good?

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Once I got my current computer, I got rid of my Stereo. My computer has a good sound system. My car stereo blows. It still only has a tape player in it and the sound knob is broken off

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old June 16th, 2007, 12:31 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
I said home stereo, but computer is also right, since our PC is hooked up to our TV running media center.

I have an Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB and I am very pleased with it.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
I record on my computer. The sound goes through a Mackie 2404 mixing board into a Hafler power amp and out some Alesis Monitor One speakers. The only problem is that it is studio reference gear so in some ways the sound is too clean for enjoyment purposes. You can hear little details, artifacts, and mistakes in the recordings that consumer gear intentionally covers up to give you a better listening experience, but yeah it's a heck of a lot better than my TV or car and I can crank up some tight bass like nobody's business when I hit the faders hard. Mackie boards have nice onboard EQ.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!
I enjoy my computer's speakers the best. When I bought my first Dell, I included a floor woofer in
the purchase. I'm still using the speakers on my latest Dell (my second). Though recently I dropped the main speaker and the input hole cracked. So I can't get the other speaker to work. Just need to pick up a spare speaker somewhere.

In the garage, I have a little CD/Tape/Tuner boombox.
It has this funky feature/button, labeled, 'QSound'.
It's not the best sounding system, but whoah nellie, when that button's engaged, I hear things I don't readily hear on my car stereo or computer.
For instance, normally subdued vocals or guitar sounds are surprisingly laid bare on this little system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
My car stereo blows. It still only has a tape player in it and the sound knob is broken off
Me too! We have a little two-door Tercel I scoot around town in and play my tape collection. I've screwed up something with the fade knob - currently only the back speakers are working.
This is the system on which I like to listen to garage rawk.

Soooo, my favorite is my computer's set-up for clarity, the garage CD player for unexpected recording surprises, and the car stereo for trashy, garage band material (The Makers' 'White Album' immediately springs to mind).

*I'd someday like to get working speakers for my turntable sytem (also in the garage)
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
I'm still just surprised how well my old speakers hold up against some of the pricier PC speakers out there now. Then again, they are Easterns. It's just weird having 9-year-old mid-priced speakers be better than everything I've heard except a high-end Altec-Lansing set-up.

I can't even fully enjoy them right now because I'm staying in an apartment building, and the sound penetrates way too well. I remember when I lived in a house, and the computer was in the back room, I would turn them up and go to the living room at the other end of the house and hear the music clearly. I just had to make sure there were no loose objects around before turning the bass up on 'em. Right now, I've got the super-woofer sitting up on the very top of the computer desk with a foam pad underneath it just to keep the sound from carrying through the floor and walls. Even with that, I can only turn the volume to 1/3 and the bass to 1/4. When the next-door neighbors are home, I usually have to just use my headphones instead.
They're the only set of speakers I've ever been able to crank all settings to the max and still not have any distortion... not that I can withstand that for long anyway.

I don't know what I'll do if I ever have to replace them. I guess I'd have to shell out for the Altec-Lansings then.

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
My home stereo is the best in my house since it's in a plasma screen tv.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Which has better speakers?
Your Home Stereo
58% [ 7 ]
Your Car Stereo
0% [ 0 ]
Your Computer?
41% [ 5 ]

I would say it depends what music is coming out of the speakers

Tree Town Open VX

Albert Lea MN
Saturday - October 19, 2019
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:16 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
My comp speakers sounded the best up until the movers stole them, and now I only have the subwoofer : /
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito
My comp speakers sounded the best up until the movers stole them, and now I only have the subwoofer : /
Seriously? That's lame. Boo on the movers.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Darkdrium has disabled reputation
My home stereo's speakers work the best.
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
I have old computer speakers and they don't work at all. My car and home stereo are way better.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General