Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
Anyone want to play a game? I have a chess board created in Excel. You play via email. Make your move, save the file, email the board back. PM me if interested.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
I am not a real big fan of chess, or really any other games that can be solved. I like a little bit of a random factor that keeps you on your toes and keeps the game excited.
Interesting perspective and quote. The 'randomness' of chess is provided by your opponent. Humans are much harder to beat than dice are. I enjoy Chess because there is NO luck involved. It is simply my skill vs. your skill.

I had a glass chess set at work for awhile. It was sitting on a chest high filing cabnet at the entrance to my cube. I was playing about a game a day as people would start a game if the board was open.

My problem is finding people of similar skill to play against. Chess is a game that can get boring/frustrating if you aren't at least moderately close in skill.
Well I do enjoy games that are relatively luckless, like Puerto Rico. There are still some surprising moves and such. Maybe I have just played too much chess I dunno.
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute
Anyone want to play a game? I have a chess board created in Excel. You play via email. Make your move, save the file, email the board back. PM me if interested.
Sure, I'll play a game with you.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM

norseman1066 has disabled reputation
www.soundkeepers.com

If anyone is interested in playing a match through that website PM me with your e-mail address and I'll set up a game.

For my Niece: Misty Lee Jeanveau:
http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Poli...eadon080109003
R.I.P.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart
I have had several chess sets over the years, right now I have two glass sets, one regular size and one smaller one. I'll post a pic here after the weekend when I have more time.

I haven't played in a long while, because as Doesn'tCompute said a month ago, you have to be moderately at the same skill level for the game to be fun. I beat all my freinds like there is no tomorrow, and they'll never play me anymore.

My dad and older brother on the other hand, whill whoop my butt every time, they are the ones I learned from as a kid, and I only played them growing up, my older brother beat one of the computer chess sets, the kind that is an actual board and you press the pieces down hard to register your move. That thing would always beat me in five minutes or less, but he beat it once.

The only person who was at my skill level of chess moved away, and I haven't spoken to him since. The bloody lip he gave me didn't help our freindship very much, then he quit the band, moved out of the house, and moved back in with mommy and daddy.

Since then, no chess for me.

Click to see more...
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
I'm a fan of chess and once beat my math teacher with the three-move checkmate. I also have a LOTR chess set.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
You know, I think it is interesting that you say chess has no random element to it. Sure it does not use dice, but you guys are forgetting the most random thing of all. The human mind. There are only a few times throughout a chess match where one can force only one option upon the opponent. Once you add the human element to chess, it becomes one of the most random games I know.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
You know, I think it is interesting that you say chess has no random element to it. Sure it does not use dice, but you guys are forgetting the most random thing of all. The human mind. There are only a few times throughout a chess match where one can force only one option upon the opponent. Once you add the human element to chess, it becomes one of the most random games I know.
Especially when I play.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
has been BANNED

Homba is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
We had a really nice chess tournament at my Close Combat website not too long ago. 9 players, round robin, play as black and white against each opponent, and basically tried to play the 16 games simultaneously - not bad at 1 move per game per day. We used shockwave's email chess, but any email chess would do. It would be easy to replicate such a tournament here if anyone had the gumption. We used a forum to contain all the needed threads:
http://www.tournamenthouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=76

We all promised not to use opening books or computer analysis.

At some point I had some spare time at the inlaws and wrote my chess biography from learning about the game as a child, through to the present. If anyone wants to read it, it's here (scroll down the page til you see it):
http://www.tournamenthouse.com/forum...=7286&start=30

H

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games