Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old March 28th, 2020, 07:11 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Workshop Thread

Version 2 from @Owlman

Notable Changes:
- Power Glyphs to outside
- Added treasure glyphs
- "smoothed" terrain changes to allow smoother development onto height and for double-spaced accessibility
- moved Jungle down into the Sand and rearranged the center slightly to allow for adding stone 2-hex to help in development from moving from the center to the hill

Version 2

All fairly subtle changes, but overall I think it's a big improvement!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 29th, 2020, 10:17 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

That is a really nice looking map @Owlman !

I'm hoping to get another edit of Goat Path up soon. Been fiddling with the physical version, gotta translate to VS.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 29th, 2020, 03:01 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

I'm hoping to get another edit of Goat Path up soon. Been fiddling with the physical version, gotta translate to VS.
Thanks man! It's my first ever attempt at a "professional looking, competitive" type map. Guess I gotta start my own map thread now lol!

I'd love more feedback too. If I don't get more in the next day or so, i'll officially submit it for the contest.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old March 31st, 2020, 02:57 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

Thanks man! It's my first ever attempt at a "professional looking, competitive" type map. Guess I gotta start my own map thread now lol!

I'd love more feedback too. If I don't get more in the next day or so, i'll officially submit it for the contest.
I don't really have much to suggest, honestly. There are a few good spots on the hills (1-2 more on the short ruin side, but that can't be helped much with 2 different size ruins), but plenty of jungle cover in the middle and at least half those spots can then be attacked by a figure under cover with 5 move. If they all could, that would be great, but I don't know if it's possible. The only space that gives me some concern is the level 3 that also has jungle cover. It's a beautiful map, too.

===============

Third version of Goat Path. Maintained the aesthetically pleasing all-dungeon center of v2, but eliminated choke points and rearranged cover. All shadows are now adjacent to obstacles (save the pool and the one in the pivot point) and all height except 3 spaces can be attacked from shadow, and 7 spaces (including 2 of those 3) can be reached via road.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:09 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I did actually find the time to work on a submission, but I made some potentially questionable choices so I thought I'd let y'all give it a look before I made things official.

My map is Wyrmspine Gate using 1 BftU and 1 TT.

It uses the 3-hex outcropping and one of the 1-hex outcroppings as shadow. The glyphs are on level 0 water.

Probably the most obvious weird bit here are the shadow spaces in the starting zones. Apart from being a convenient place to use the 3-hex shadow and get some extra board space, I also think it lets you place some units that will be a little insulated from early SZ bombs.

The other big concern is being a little too chokepointy. This is actually my second pass from an initial draft, which had an even narrower center but opened up some asymmetric paths between the glaciers. It was neat, but not worth the possibility of letting a single deathreaver clog the center of the map.

Currently though, I'm a little concerned that there aren't many interesting movement decisions to make. The glaciers do a good job of separating the start zones but maybe not a good job of making a dynamic play experience.

It might be worth staggering the glaciers more, bringing them closer to each SZ and farther from each other while widening the map a bit? Might be hard to stretch the terrain that far though.

I haven't uploaded build instructions yet, so let me know if anything is unclear from the picture.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:50 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

At a first glance I don’t see anything all that bad. You might be right that it’s not the most dynamic map, but I still like it and I think there’s still good spaces and enough decisions to be made to make it a good map.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 3rd, 2020, 04:00 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@All Your Pie

Considering how much terrain you have to work with, I think it looks pretty good overall! Some more specific thoughts:

1) There is a single raised hex of snow that allows coverage of a good chunk of the middle, including the highest parts of the map. I don't know that I'm super concerned about it at the moment because of how small the map is. But I'd be looking at that spot as a Raelin perch in playtesting.

2) With such limited terrain, it might be worth trying to see if there's a way to reduce the amount of terrain used unnecessarily - I'm thinking specifically about the terrain underneath the glaciers. Putting the glaciers down on the first level would free up some additional hexes to work with (though potentially at the risk of having to dramatically alter the map). Just something to consider.

3) As of this moment, I'm not against the shadow tiles in the start zone. I think your reasoning for putting them there makes sense.

Thanks for the effort you've put into it!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old April 4th, 2020, 07:56 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@All Your Pie
Yes - the only thing that caught my eye was the single-hex of snow a couple of spots outside of the start zone that covers the middle of the map. I hadn't thought about the tiles under the glaciers being available - good catch Flash!
Old April 5th, 2020, 01:12 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Absolutely fair point on the Raelin perch there, think I’ll slide that tile up so it joins with the level 2 dungeon in the middle. I might reposition the other nearby single-hex snow tiles as well.

Sinking the glaciers down would definitely require a rework, as they’re currently mostly on 24-hexers. That said, it might be completely worth doing. I’ll have to see if I can find time to play around with it.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:36 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Request for Review - Durgeth Swamps

Got around to making some adjustments to Durgeth Swamps. A lot of the criticism for this map came from the center and a lack of strategic decisions allowed by the map. There is now level 3 height down the center (not covered by jungle). All of the level 2 height in the center is covered by jungle. The 7-hex still has 2 spaces covered by jungle but now they are towards center instead of on the back end. There is also one hex of the level 3 3-hex rock that is covered by Jungle. The middle level 3 can cover both glyphs but the level 3 rock can only cover their respective glyph with 8 range or less.

Durgeth Swamps - .hsc
Requires: 1 SotM, 2 TJ

Original Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Sheep; April 23rd, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 08:07 PM

Would you mind posting the original for quick reference?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 23rd, 2020, 08:45 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Would you mind posting the original for quick reference?
Adding to my original post as well. Don't think I have a picture anymore.

Durgeth Swamps Original Version

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla