Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Which ent-tree is the most oak-ay? (choose 3)
Wood Elemental 10 26.32%
Darkwood Treant Guardian 4 10.53%
Wooden Revenant 8 21.05%
Birch Sentry 0 0%
Enchanted Tree 11 28.95%
Timber Custodian 8 21.05%
Jubokko 6 15.79%
Tsuri Oni 3 7.89%
Elder Oak 6 15.79%
Wise Oak 5 13.16%
Wood Golem 0 0%
Gnarl of Elder 12 31.58%
Entrean the Elder 4 10.53%
Oakshadow 9 23.68%
Arboris 14 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10th, 2018, 03:42 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Springtime Custom Competition Poll - Congrats Astroking112!

Congratulations @Astroking112 ! Your entries never bore us and now you get the recognition you deserve.

Arboris

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

This contest brought forth many unique ideas, one idea that you will see over and over again, and a couple you'll see a couple of times. Thanks to everyone who entered, and good luck again. And good job getting exactly 15 entries in! And thanks again to Xotli for upping the polls' max to 15 options!

Here are the entries, in no particular order. I'll try to get more rulings and synergies posted in the next few days.

The Dewk's
Wood Elemental

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Taeblewalker's
Darkwood Treant Guardian

Ronin's
Wooden Revenant

OmegaPegasus's
Birch Sentry

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

ollie's
Enchanted Tree

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Rulings and Clarifications:
Spoiler Alert!

NecroBlade's
Timber Custodian

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Lazy Orang's
Jubokko

Alternate figure:
Spoiler Alert!

Glyph:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

kolakoski's
Tsuri Oni

HEROSCAPERMTL's
Elder Oak

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Heroscaper101's
Wise Oak

Defenders of Oak:
Spoiler Alert!

gatormustang's
Wood Golem

DewNoHarm's
Gnarl of Elder

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Confred's
Entrean the Elder

BiggaBullfrog's
Oakshadow

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; April 19th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old April 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Springtime Custom Competition Poll - Vote by 4/17

What's the etiquette with these competitions? Do we start trashing the opposing entries straight away, or do we pretend to be polite for a while?

[Serious question: how much discussion is allowed/encouraged pre-voting? If it's more than none at all, should contestants stay out of it?]
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I think you can trash talk right away, as long as you throw a little shade at your own entry to throw people off the scent.

[No idea on the serious bit]
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I think you can trash talk right away, as long as you throw a little shade at your own entry to throw people off the scent.

Personally, I've always held off commenting at all until the contest is over.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:16 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
What's the etiquette with these competitions? Do we start trashing the opposing entries straight away, or do we pretend to be polite for a while?

[Serious question: how much discussion is allowed/encouraged pre-voting? If it's more than none at all, should contestants stay out of it?]
The last bunch of contests have had a fair amount of discussion/comments/reviews. Check out December's.
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:39 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

You hit it right on the head. I like to encourage as much discussion as you want, but try not to make it too obvious if you're talking about your own.

[There really isn't much seriousness when it comes to anything I run. Heck, if I wanted to make it too serious is have to change the names of the pictures on my computer before I upload them. Don't look into that too closely though]

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 10th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Thanks all. I was going to wait until I'd seen some discussion before voting---there are a few here that I'm torn about. But leaving it late leads to the temptation of tactically voting based on the current state of the poll (or over-deliberately not doing so), which I don't like, so I put my vote in already.

As for the trash talk, I'd like to place on record that Necroblade's entry sucks. I don't know which one it is, but I'm sure it's dreadful. (NB did enter, right?)
Old April 11th, 2018, 03:25 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm glad that we can choose three ent-trees! There are a lot of really unique ideas here, and it's a nice surprise that we didn't have to cut it down this time.

I didn't think of how neat it could be to make a character who moves Evergreen trees (I'm not a big fan of rearranging Jungle pieces, since they lock into the terrain) until after I submitted my custom, so I'm glad to see that someone else fleshed out that idea. It also turned out much more terrifying than I had ever envisioned, especially on forest-heavy maps like Highways and Dieways.

Literally building a forest to help many of Ullar's forces is also terrific, albeit it does seem to test my knowledge of which planets heroes came from. It's interesting that Cyprien and the vampires could also benefit from the spreading woods, instead of just the Elves.

Everyone did a great job, except for Ollie. The trash talk doesn't quite line up with my perception of an Ent.
Old April 11th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Everyone did a great job, except for Ollie.
So often the case.
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:46 AM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Voted! Would love to hear some impartial critiques of the submissions from some more experienced customs creators. Anyone out there willing?
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:48 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

However mulch discussion or if it's just a small twig of discussion it won't matter. These ent-trees are great with fantastic concepts. The root of the matter is that I am going to need to really dig deep in order to see thru the forest to whittle down my decision. Thanks for allowing us to pick three. Regardless of who wins looks like I will be heading to the store to find some of these figures so I can use these cards.
Old April 11th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I didn't submit an entry, so I'll give my thoughts on the cards. All of these designs will suffer on maps without trees or brush (some of them severely), but I'm OK with that.

Wood Elemental
I like Entangling Roots and Flammable. Stats seem right. Brush Cover seems like it belongs on a large or huge figure. Also, I would think the Wood Elemental would take the damage instead of the defending figure.

Darkwood Treant Guardian
I really like Awaken the Forest. It really invokes a forest coming to life. Grass Roots Healing for a 6 Life, 4 Defense figure seems too much. The Feral Troll has Regeneration with 1 Defense and it’s pretty strong against heroes already.

Wooden Revenant

Interesting concept, and I like how the powers work together. The theme seems a little strange to me though (how/why does a plant replace a human body?). 5 Life with 6 Attack and 4 Defense seems a little high for a 75 point figure.

Birch Sentry
You would want to keep these guys in a group, so it would take a long time to get them across the battlefield. I don’t know what Range 0 would mean. I think it should be Range 1.

Enchanted Tree
I like the Enchanted Forest mechanism. I also like the Move 0. You basically build a forest to hide in. But like I said for the Wood Elements, Forest Cover seems like it belongs on a large or huge figure, and I would think the Enchanted Tree would take the damage instead of the defending figure.

Timber Custodian

Swat is kind of wordy and confusing, and I think it should probably be broken down into two separate abilities—one for when the Timber Custodian moves and one for when a figure moves adjacent to it. 4 Defense 4 Life (Q9 stats) with Regeneration is pretty powerful. These would be fun to playtest with 3 or 4 of them working together.

Jubokko
Really unique and interesting theme. The abilities all work together really well. It would be useless on a map without trees or brush, but that’s part of the theme. Instead of removing a Jungle Brush, I’d probably just mark it somehow as a Jubokko. I understand the gameplay of Murderous Tree, but after a Jubokko attacks it seems like in real life it would be open to non-adjacent attacks (especially if I shouted “Shoot the tree, it just attacked me!”)

Tsuri Oni
An army of these guys would be interesting. Demon/elemental seems a little strange. Splinter seems like it should be broken up into two separate powers—one for attacking and one for defending. A lot weaker on maps withoug evergreen trees.

Wise Oak
The Wise Oak itself seems like a solid design. The powers on the Defenders of the Oak don’t work well for me. They can be easily defeated by small and medium figures with normal attacks, but they are difficult (or in some cases impossible) to kill for large and huge figures. Does Ironbark Taunt mean that they don’t take leaving engagement attacks from large/huge figures? How about counterstrike damage?

Wood Golem
I like Bark Hide Armor and Root Entanglement (although it required memorization to remember which figures are entangled). Fury of the Forest doesn’t quite work for me on a slow moving animated wood creature.

Entrean the Elder
Shepherd Evergreens is a cool power that would be fun to play. Opposing players could try to clear out the forest as they move across a map while playing against Entrean the Elder. Root Crush is extremely powerful on maps with evergreen trees—rolling 3 skulls with 7 Attack should happen often, and since you can move an evergreen tree adjacent to a hero before attacking with Root Crush it would be an instant kill for small, medium, or huge figures.

Gnarl of Elder
I like Tree Ally Strike and Undead Hatred. And all three special abilities fit the playability of the card well. It just seems a little strange to me for a tree to be picking up rocks and throwing them.

Arboris
Interesting abilities that require strategy to use effectively. You probably want to wait until Round 3 to activate Arboris, so he would be useful mid-game or possibly end-game.

Oakshadow
Nature’s Wrath is a fun power and it’s range of 3 limitation works well with Barkskin Defense and it’s normal attack Range 1. You want this guy in the front lines surround by trees or jungle brush. With a Move 4, however, it will take some time to get him into position.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards