Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 27th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Icy Caverns of Velgroth

DOWNLOAD

The Cirdan Garden

DOWNLOAD
Old October 8th, 2019, 10:53 AM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Ice Under the Bridge

DOWNLOAD

An attempt at making a somewhat competitive map with a bridge over the middle of the map, and using my Very Slippery Ice mechanic. See Download page for details.

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 9th, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

At first glance I like it overall, but has a few things that make it more of a "fun" map than a competitive one...at least right now. A couple things I noticed right off the bat:

1. While the height on the edge is meant to be higher than the bridge to keep the bridge from being too strong, it ends up making a "your hill, my hill" scenario which will inevitable end up in some very un-fun games with Range vs melee or range vs range. It's significantly easier to go to your right and capture your side hill and just stay there waiting for your opponent to approach.
2. No glyphs. This hurts this map because it makes the camping positions on the hills even stronger. Strong glyphs on this map might help balance it because someone assaulting the hill will need it (maybe a +2 move or +1 defense).
3. The Bridge walls are "illegally" build. According to the rule book, all edges of a bridge wall need to be connected, and you've got one edge overhanging.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 9th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Very aesthetically pleasing, some tinkering with it ought to make it a nicely competitive map.
Old October 9th, 2019, 08:27 PM

I have updated the map. The image in the original post for the map has been updated to reflect the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
At first glance I like it overall, but has a few things that make it more of a "fun" map than a competitive one...at least right now. A couple things I noticed right off the bat:

1. While the height on the edge is meant to be higher than the bridge to keep the bridge from being too strong, it ends up making a "your hill, my hill" scenario which will inevitable end up in some very un-fun games with Range vs melee or range vs range. It's significantly easier to go to your right and capture your side hill and just stay there waiting for your opponent to approach.
So I talked to you about this privately, but for everyone else, the hills are actually lower than the bridge, with the exception of the highest single snow hex on each hill, which is the same height as the bridge. Additionally, thanks to the road, and the Very Slippery Ice, both players can reach the highest points of either hill, at almost the same time. The closer player can get to the tallest hex in 12 movement spaces, and the farther player can engage the tallest hex in 13 movement spaces. It should be noted that the farther player will get the road bonus to help get there, and the closer player won't if they take the fastest route. The closer player has the advantage just because their other forces are closer, but if the farther player can win the initial engagement, they will have the height advantage.

It's probably worth noting that you can reach the other player's start zone in 12 move thanks to Very Slippery Ice, so you could go rampage in there and ignore height if you wanted to.
Quote:
2. No glyphs. This hurts this map because it makes the camping positions on the hills even stronger. Strong glyphs on this map might help balance it because someone assaulting the hill will need it (maybe a +2 move or +1 defense).
I believe that it was mostly balanced without glyphs before, but the glyphs incentivize the Ice passageways more, which I think is a good thing. Players can reach the farther glyph in 9 movement spaces, and the closer in 8 movement spaces, which translates to 2 turns for each glyph unless you have 4 move figures, in which case the farther glyph is 3 turns away.
Quote:
3. The Bridge walls are "illegally" build. According to the rule book, all edges of a bridge wall need to be connected, and you've got one edge overhanging.
This is the same as Walls needing a cap. It doesn't break anything like not giving room for the hive would. It's placed the way it is so that the bridge is more stable (because it's longer than the 5 hexes that the long bridge piece is made of) and if you don't do it that way, the trees next to it won't fit. Or to put it more simply, the only people who should care about this, are the same people that wouldn't play with walls that don't have a cap.

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 9th, 2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typos, etc.
Old October 15th, 2019, 09:20 PM

Two more attempts to make competitive maps with just a single Dungeon set.
They aren't really competitively viable, because they are just too small, but I think this is about as close as you can get without using any other sets.
Cramped Cave

DOWNLOAD

Crumbling Cave

DOWNLOAD
Old October 19th, 2019, 12:33 AM

Cave Near Marshland Cove

DOWNLOAD

Charred Dungeon

DOWNLOAD

Frozen Throne

DOWNLOAD

I have been really fascinated by what can be made within the limitation of a single Dungeon Master set. With the terrain expansions, I have been able to increase the size of the maps significantly, so these ones might actually be tournament viable. I'm still working on a Road, and Castle Dungeon map. I hope others can find these maps as much fun to play on, as I have had making them.

EDIT: And my first just 1 BftU Dungeon master set map Dungeon Stalagmites has been updated. After making all of these, I found it's layout uninteresting, and I made some relatively minor changes to make it potentially more enjoy able to play on.

Last edited by Leaf_It; April 18th, 2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old October 19th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Love what you're doing with these 1BftU and 1BftU + Expansion. Really hard to make maps like that, but you're doing a good job. I think these maps - for the most part - are more "fun" maps (just because of how clogged they'd be for tournaments), but Crisp Winter Cave is actually my favorite and that looks open enough to be a strong tournament map. I'd say the same about Charred Dungeon because lava really helps free things up...but I think you'll need to remove those single molten lava's on the edge. Those really allow very little movement on the edges where people will try to skirt around.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old November 27th, 2019, 12:02 AM

When you get a chance @Leaf_It would you mind updating the OP with all of your maps? It'll make it a lot easier to reference. I'm also looking forward to the changes we made on some of your maps we playtested when you were here...would love to see those versions up some time.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:04 AM

I've got a few maps I've been meaning to post. The update to that map is one of them. I've been a bit busy this last week or two, but I'll try to get them uploaded tomorrow after work.
Old December 1st, 2019, 12:15 AM

Introducing 2 reworked maps:

Cave Near Marshland Cove

DOWNLOAD

Charred Dungeon

DOWNLOAD

And 3 NEW 1 Underdark master set maps:

Crossroad at Dark

DOWNLOAD

Crevice Road

DOWNLOAD

Crumbling Dungeon

DOWNLOAD

But don't worry, but strange obsession with the Underdark Master set isn't over yet. I still need to make a Rise of the Valkyrie, Marvel, and Swamp maps using it.
Old December 1st, 2019, 12:59 AM

These all look really good...I approve!

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios