Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Notices

Old July 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
Manhunter (Archie Goodwin & Walt Simonson)

Anybody else a fan of this Detective Comics backup feature from the early '70s? Terrific pulp hero nonsense with the perfect blend of melodrama and moody darkness.

I pulled out my copy of the reprint last night and was amazed all over again. There are pages where Simonson manages to fit, like 17 panels on a single page while still telling a clear visual story.

As a side note, I keep getting baffled that DC tries to reuse the name "Manhunter" without bringing back the fantastic costume this guy had. I think they've done this at least twice.
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
I could never get into Walt Simonson's art style. To me, it was rather sloppy. His run on Thor and X-Factor bugged me.
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Jacques, I have that same reprint edition!
I've always been a fan. Good stuff.

I remember first discovering Manhunter in an issue of Secret Society of Super-Villains. I thought he was pretty cool although his costume was a bit flamboyant.
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM

jaques has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Jacques, I have that same reprint edition!
I've always been a fan. Good stuff.

I remember first discovering Manhunter in an issue of Secret Society of Super-Villains. I thought he was pretty cool although his costume was a bit flamboyant.
I guess I've never seen that appearance. When I was 7, I got the issue of Detective Comics that contained the full-length finale where Manhunter and Batman team up. Like most comics I got in those days, I had no idea what was going on, because I hadn't read any of the prior issues. But I thought Manhunter had the coolest costume I'd ever seen, and I pretty much still think that to this day!

There's a later reprint edition that includes a followup story Goodwin plotted before his death. Simonson drew it up as a wordless story, but I found it entirely anticlimactic. Once you know how the original story turned out, there's not much point to revisiting it. Also, they gave Simonson a lot more pages to work with than he used on the original backup stories, so the art doesn't have that same tight use of tiny panels.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media