Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old January 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 600 Point Competitive Armies

TR, I like the Cap/Anna/Raelin/Syvarris army. Alternatively, if you make your army scary enough and very hard to kill (get points), no one will want to attack you.

Q9 180
Raelin (ROTV) 80
KMA 100
Laglor 110
Krug 120
Isamu 10

I'm tempted to replace Krug with Rats x 3.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That is an interesting alternative philosphy Rich10. Make yourself beefy looking enough so other will go for easier pickings...

I really have no idea what to expect for opponents armies because I travelling out of town and have never played in this area before...

I was thinking that the Airborne Elite might be a very interesting choice. If I can get an early drop with them and get them nice and high I can rain terror down on my opponents.

10th x4
AE
Leaving 190 points for the final pieces. Q9 does fit nicely there and is an insurance policy against other Q9s and Dragons.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

A Marvel-legal free for all, on a map with lots of vertical rise? I think the obvious choice is Thanos. The AE are also good, because you can hold off on the drop until you are running low on other figures, then use them for cleanup from height.

That's 470, leaving you 130 for other figures. I guess the lame but effective choice would be lots of rats, for...

360 Thanos
10 Isamu
110 AE
120 Deathreavers x3
600, 18 hexes
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Problem with Thanos is he is only kill at a time. I suppose I can go for the most expensive targets right away and hope to get Rejected by Death sooner rather than later when he dies.

I wonder how they will do the points for Thanos. Do you get to keep his point value only if he remains dead? Or does everyone who kills him gets to claim his points?

I would also think auto-kill braxas will make a showing.

I did toy with the idea of
Q9
Braxas
Nilfhiem
Marcu

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Problem with Thanos is he is only kill at a time. I suppose I can go for the most expensive targets right away and hope to get Rejected by Death sooner rather than later when he dies.
Well, it depends on whether your goal is to kill a lot of figures, or to be the last one standing. If your goal is the latter, then Thanos is fine - just concentrate on taking out opposing cheerleaders, and let everybody else kill each other. Your goal is to outlast, not outkill.

I don't like Thanos in 1v1 games, though, due to the lack of multiple attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
I would also think auto-kill braxas will make a showing.

I did toy with the idea of
Q9
Braxas
Nilfhiem
Marcu
That's a bunch of figures that will have big targets on their backs, and will likely draw a lot of fire. Thanos's lack of multiple-attackability can actually be a nice thing in a FFA, because he seems less intimidating. Also, why kill somebody who's going to rise from the dead anyway? And why try to kill all the rats when somebody else might get credit for killing Thanos?
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Lets try a different approach:
Thorgrim 80
Braxas 210
Q9 180
Raelin 80
Marro Warriors 50

Opening move, put Thorgrim adjacent to someone's most dangerous figure(s) and let him kill Thorgrim for 80 points. If no one kills Thorgrim, take a shot at him with Braxas. Put Thorgrim's spirit on Braxas or Q9.

Early game, use Braxas because she can kill more points than any other figure (especially high priced Marvel figures).

Mid game, use Q9/Raelin because they have good killing ability and are hard to kill.

End game, use the Marro Warriors becuase they are hard to kill and can score points.

I'd be very tempted to drop Thorgrim for 2 squads of rats.

Just another thought, this might be a good tournament for the Feral Trolls. The Feral Trolls could pick off figures wounded by others.

Anther interesting thought, if you are expecting lots of heroes, Shades x 6 could be a fun army to play.

Last edited by Rich10; January 6th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM

OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker

I love to make odd ball armies with much more interesting strategies then using Q9 and the 4th mass or even the stingers, too overused for my tastes.

It's raining... Demons?
Iskra Esenwein x1 - 50 points
RoB x1 - 50 points
MoU x2 - 220 points
Saylind x1 - 80 points
Atlaga x1 - 90 points
Microcorp Agents x1 - 100 points
Isamu x1 - 10 points
Total = 600 points

This army has the option to be defensive or aggressive. Iskra moves forward and either hangs on to a mid-map position to either get the Rechets in for a pre-empt on the other team's nastier heroes or hold that area with the threat of demonic summoning. Saylind has the same option, and with Atlaga's move boost, can move up and summon in some MoU, or Microcorp for the double height advantage. It relies on the lucky rolls a little heavy, but after playtesting, it heavily frustrates my opponents.
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Marro Divider #4 is surprisingly tart

Super 'Borgs

blasts x3-240
glads x2- 400
dw9000- 540
zettians- 610 (if your opponent lets you go 10 points over- if not, try 'ol Deadeye or another squad of the blasters.)

Tournament record 3-0

Check out my Customs
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Marro Divider #4 is surprisingly tart

Romans and dwarves

legionairres x3- 150
morgrimm forgehammer- 270
grindersx3- 480
migol- 590
isamu- 600

24 spaces exactly- I wish I had morgrimm! This would be fun to play. migol bonds with the grinders, and morgrimm bonds with the romans (he's a warlord) and the grinders. It just needs range. you could sub out a squad of grinders for the 10th reggers or the mass line, and not use isamu.

Tournament record 3-0

Check out my Customs
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

I don't know if someone's alredy suggested this, I don't have time to read the whole thing, but

Stingers x4
Drow x4
Raelin

I recently won a battle with this one by a decent margin. Fun and effective.
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
I got wiped by this 600pt Einar army twice last time I played

Kaemon Awa 120
Kozuke Samurai 100
Izumi Samurai 60
Ninjas of the North Wind 110
3x Tagawa Archers 195

Total 585
A variation of this would be replacing the archers with Kato. I'll try it... in 5-7 buisness days.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
I got wiped by this 600pt Einar army twice last time I played

Kaemon Awa 120
Kozuke Samurai 100
Izumi Samurai 60
Ninjas of the North Wind 110
3x Tagawa Archers 195

Total 585
A variation of this would be replacing the archers with Kato. I'll try it... in 5-7 buisness days.
If you're gonna do that, I'd swap the Ninjas for the Tagawa Samurai.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion