Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekay
...I hope going forward, Hasbro's game designers will begin to look at the game as a whole and start taking the game in a slightly more cohesive direction...
More Cohesive than it is now?
"And now it's time to pick a new general! Come on up here Craig and spin the color wheel!"
"Big colors! Big colors! Big colors!"
Okay, so I kind of left off some thoughts in that sentence. Can't you people read minds yet?

What I mean was that other than that game's original concept, I think we can all agree that the character bios and the Journal have been tacked on as an afterthought.

Had the game's creators predicted that HeroScape would turn into a commercial success with 8+ expansions and more coming, had they thought the game would have attracted such a large adult fan-boy following, I think future planning of upcoming waves and story lines would have been more carefully mapped out.

I'm speculating here.

I have no clue how the designers come up with their figures and concepts, but they do give us 'scapers what we demand. We want zombies and elves and jungle and they give it to us. How cool is that? But have they made it into our hands because we asked for them or because they were all already predetermined and in the works from the very beginning? I'm going with the first idea. We demanded character bios and to expand the Journal. It took awhile (meaning that someone had to come up with a story to stitch together), but we got what we asked for. Sure they changed some of the bios and the journal reads like a lame 1990s-video-game plot (which I just can't bring myself to finish reading), but we got it.

Valguard is the mortal enemy of the vikings, but is the only character that bonds with them. The Marrden Hounds carry the Marro plague which affects Marro, but Ne-Gok-Sa like to travel with packs of them. Things like that I'm taking about.

The point of all this is; Hasbro created a game that they own and can have complete freedom to develop. (No licensing issues to deal with.) They also know they have a successful product on their hand which could carry them for years to come. Knowing this, I would hope that they begin to take steps to develop the game and story as a whole rather than adding seemingly random units to future releases.

Again, this isn't a complaint, but a recommendation.

Develop online scenarios that actually tie in with new releases and advance the game. (Wave 1 did this, but following blister packs never got that attention). Develop army card abilities that tell a story without favor text. The new vampire figures do this.

With that in mind, I am really looking forward to what Aquilla will be bringing to HeroScape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMakingMaster
You must be some kind of game, er, scientist, theory-developer guy thingie, aren't you?
Nope, just a long-winded gamer. Welcome to the boards.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekay

The point of all this is; Hasbro created a game that they own and can have complete freedom to develop. (No licensing issues to deal with.) They also know they have a successful product on their hand which could carry them for years to come. Knowing this, I would hope that they begin to take steps to develop the game and story as a whole rather than adding seemingly random units to future releases.

This is like the most brilliant thing I have read on this site in a long time. Thank you Teekay. That describes my thoughts perfectly.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy

This is like the most brilliant thing I have read on this site in a long time. Thank you Teekay. That describes my thoughts perfectly.

Have you read the Chief's Easter thread?
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker
you know. If they made a cartoon for this game/ Like was done with transformers. This game would expand about 4x's of what it is now. Especially, if the cartoon was good.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM

knightdog15 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwojedi
you know. If they made a cartoon for this game/ Like was done with transformers. This game would expand about 4x's of what it is now. Especially, if the cartoon was good.
I agree with you to a certain point.
Yes, they should expand the Hasbro HS cartoons more. But, I think that if they made it into an actually cartoon series (like transformers) I think it would eventually turn into too many figures and characters.
I think they should just stick to the online Hasbro cartoons, comics and Thormun Journal but just update them more often.

Matt the Knightdog
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

why would the cartoon result into to many figures? The transformers/GI joe line had tons of figures, but the cartoon usually featured the same main characters. With a new one thrown in here and there. HS is all about new figures. We need new figures on a regular basis, or it's going to get old.

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM

bee is surprisingly tart
I suppose I'm a bit late in joining the conversation, but oh well. First things first, *high five* Teekay, I've been trying to get in the designers' heads for some time now, and I agree with you whole heartedly on the collective subconscious color association theory working itself out automatically in the design process.

I would like to point out for the dissenters, that honestly, design is well meaning and all, but in the end, multiple people are working on this project, and some arrangements of colors work better for some things than others. You can't discount the theory based off of any particular aspect of the website for example. It just isn't that omni-pervasive a concept.

As for the original color set, I think that the RGB light scheme of color better represents the likely original:
Red
Green
Blue
being the primary colors, with
Yellow
Purple
Cyan
being the secondary. Vydar's background is most definitely a shade of cyan, not a true blue. That said, I think that was only the starting point, the conscious jump off from which the deeply held beliefs about the emotional nature of color so adequately expressed in your pigment color wheel took over.

Two last thoughts:
It is appropriate to my thinking that archenemies be fundamentally related (Sentinels versus Minions seems appropriate, why not Wolves versus Elves?)
I am interested in the theme of Aquilla. First off, bees and many poisonous snakes and plants are yellow and black. To me, the color scheme and initial troops speak of ancience/awoken natural anger. Dark grey and yellow (gold again?) and vines, could be very evil, or self-interested good, or completely neutral, but I don't see it as being primarily concerned with the interests of either Jandar or Utgar.
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee
As for the original color set, I think that the RGB light scheme of color better represents the likely original:
Red
Green
Blue
Yellow
Purple
Cyan
being the secondary.
I'm really confused now. I distinctly remember my elementary school art teacher saying that Red, Blue, and Yellow were the primary colors, and it tied in somehow with how R+B=Purple, B+Y=Green, and R+Y=Orange. I googled "primary colors" and they came up as you said, but now my whole world is just turned upside down.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM

WeaponV has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee
Red
Green
Blue
Yellow
Purple
Cyan
being the secondary.
I'm really confused now. I distinctly remember my elementary school art teacher saying that Red, Blue, and Yellow were the primary colors, and it tied in somehow with how R+B=Purple, B+Y=Green, and R+Y=Orange. I googled "primary colors" and they came up as you said, but now my whole world is just turned upside down.
You are correct. No need to be confused. The primary colours are Red, Blue and Yellow (not Green). My wife is a school teacher and she confirmed it. You are also right that it has to do with how the colours are combined.

If the primary colours were Red, Blue and Green, you couldn't get yellow or orange.

I did a wiki search and the site claims that there are 2 sets of primary colours - one visual and the other print. The visual primary colours are Red, Blue and Green (for TV pictures etc..). The print primary colours are Yellow, Cyan (Blue), and Magenta (Red/Purple).
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM

vengeance000 has disabled reputation
Red, Blue and Yellow are the primary colors of pigments, paints, and the like.

Red, Blue, and Green are the primary colors of light.

Or maybe it's the other way around. But light colors are different than everything else in terms of what is primary. I don't know why this is, it just is.
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM

bee is surprisingly tart
Correct. The wavelengths of light add up using Red Green and Blue as primary, whereas paint and ink and stuff we know better does it differently, and I don't fully understand it.

All I was saying is that it nicely explains the color choices better, being as orange isn't a secondary color in that scheme, and Cyan is. (Vydar! )

*EDIT* Try playing around with MS Paint if you have a PC! Make a custom color, and it works with RGB.
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

it's been red blue and yellow as long as I've known it. I don't see anyone's printers asking for a green cartridge? Why? Because you can't make every color in the world with red/green/blue. I do color mixing and matching on a daily basis. and if I used green as a primary. 70% of the colors I mix, wouldn't even be close.

secondarys are

Green
Purple
orange

then you have warm and cool secondaries which compliment the main primaries.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion