Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music
Music Not Heroscape-related.

Old June 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Anyone still have vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
See I don't think they sound any more "real". They just didn't overproduce music in studio's back then and thus the sound was more "authentic".

Take some crappy Spears song and put it on vinyl and it will still sound fake.
I have heard some folks argue a vinyl record has a more "true" sound to it because when music is played it is naturally an analog wave/signal. The vinyl records this analog signal without change. The process of changing an analog signal into a digital one inherently loses "some" of the signal in the preocess. The sampling speed reduces this loss, but never totally eliminates it.

Of course the vinyl will loose this feidelity over time where a digital reproduction is the same the first time it is played as the 1,000,000th time it is played.

Digital is easier to store in my house on that thing I call a PC.

Now of course in your example of a crappy Spears song, the "music" was probably digital from the very beginning. No insturments were played or hurt during the production of this record.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That's my point, essentially. It wasn't like people went from Vinyl (which I always hated that oh-so "realistic" pop and hiss) to CD's, was also when people started recording, sampling, and digitally altering songs.

Play me a good acoustic song on CD and it sounds great, just like on Vinyl. But most songs are so overprocessed that the "real" music is altered into something completely different.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

I have lots of vinyl, purchased when I was a teen. all Iron Maiden until Seventh Son, lots of Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Helloween and the like, plus some heavier ones, like Sepultura, Death, Morbid Angel...
I still have them, but I've re-purchased most of them on CD, for easy of use.

on the Vinyl vs CD issue, vinyl discs win simply beacause you can put miniatures on them while playing, while on CDs you can't... ^^
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Lots of vinyl, or "big CD's" as my kids call them sometimes. Beatles, Billy Joel, Boston, Heart, Kansas, and much more 70's & 80's rock, plus lots of jazz and classical. I still thrown one on the turntable from time to time.

I've replaced much of my LP collection with CD's, and I think the CD's sound much better (except for ones that were poorly transfered.)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:31 AM

Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker

It's fun to see this thread again, I was such a noob, geeze :P

I just spent what must have been $200 or so on various weezer and wavves vinyl. Call me crazy, but how can I say no to a Say It Ain't So 10" for just $30 ;P So, the new question this thread poses; does anyone on these boards still actively collect vinyl?

For those that are, I can't recommend discogs.com enough! Very good site to hunt down some more elusive records.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I have a vinyl record collection. I don't really love vinyl over compact discs, it's just another way to get music.

I have like half of Queen's studio albums on vinyl, and half of them on compact disc. I have 3 copies of News of the World, the ****tiest sounding one I made into a clock.

Like this:

All of my records are LP's except for one 45.

I like collecting vinyl records more because it's nice to walk into a place that sells vinyl and get a bunch of albums for cheap as opposed to having to order CD's for like $10 -ish bucks a pop from Amazon. But CD's can be played in my car, uploaded to my Xbox and PC, don't require constant cleaning, etc. So I like CD's more, but since my dad also collects vinyl records, vinyl records are just cheaper and easier to come by.

I went to a used record dealer a week or so ago, picked out 3 Judy Collins albums, 1 Bill Kenny (The lead singer of The Ink Spots) album, and a Mamas and the Papas album (Deliver) for $8 total. And they were having a sale so I got them all for $5.

When I feel like it, I'll take a picture of all of my vinyl records. It's not a big collection, but it's slowly growing.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; September 22nd, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM

Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker

Ooh, that's a fun idea. Everyone should post pics of their collection highlights Once a few singles I ordered come in, I'll take some of mine hehe.
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Probably my most treasured album, as it is a compilation of Odessey and Oracle in it's entirety, and some of The Zombies's earlier songs. And yes, "Odessey" is the proper spelling. It was supposed to be called, "Odyssey and Oracle", but the artist that made the album cover spelled it wrong so the band just went with it, lol. Odessey and Oracle is my favorite album, so this compilation is that and more.

It's a shame that Odessey and Oracle didn't do well and the band broke up, it's a great album. It's also a shame that Time Of The Season and She's Not There are the only known Zombies songs as pretty much every Zombies song is a good one.

Spoiler Alert!

Record 1 side 1:

She's Not There
Whenever You're Ready
Is This The Dream
Summertime
I Love You
You Make Me Feel Good
She's Coming Home

Record 1 Side 2

She Loves The Way They Love Her
Imagine The Swan
Smokey Day
If It Don't Work Out
I Know She Will
Don't Cry For Me
Walking In The Sun
I'll Call You Mine

Record 2 Side 1

Care Of Cell 44
A Rose For Emily
Maybe After He's Gone
Beechwood Park
Brief Candles
Hung Up On A Dream

Record 2 Side 2

Changes
I Want Her She Wants Me
This Will Be Our Year
Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)
Friends Of Mine
Time Of The Season

Also, my dad might have a real Beatles's Yesterday and Today with the original album cover. We don't know if it's real or not.

The balls on these men.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; September 26th, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:51 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I still have my entire old vinyl collection--hundreds in almost all catagories of music; up to the late 70's--early 80s. (Rock, Classical, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Show Tunes, Ethnic Folk, Country, Movie Soundtracks, Etc.) After that I switched but bought much less. I like CD's better, except those that are reprocessed to sound different. Changing Beatle tunes that are grooved on my mind in the old orchestrations really disturbs me!

I have a working turntable in my 'play everything' compact system, but as part of it died, the CD player sitting on top of it now prevents me playing vinyl. If I'm playing a game, I don't like to get up to change the relatively shorter vinyl record sides all the time!
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
The balls on these men.
I'm pretty sure those are baby doll heads...
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

Most 78's aren't vinyl, they're made in part out of shellac.

Today I picked up this:

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
The balls on these men.
I'm pretty sure those are baby doll heads...
Is there a way to give myself rep? After over a year I stumbled across this thread and this post really made me laugh. I don't remember writing that so it was sort of like laughing at someone else's joke.

Of course, I'm sure I can find several past posts of mine that I would now want to neg rep. I guess it all balances out in the end.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music