Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 16th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

More minis!!

More terrain (even if its not a whole lot)(?)!!

Plus, the cards give custom makers one potential idea for their customs. Those fire cat things look sweet!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My only issue is the tiles. I mean come on you can't just make the edges idented in a way that would be compatible with heroscape. In a way it feels like they did that on purpose: made all the inner tiles similar to heroscape tiles, but then the outside completely useless to try and connect to heroscape. Then again that is my inner conspiracy theorist talking. This game looks like it could be awesome.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

This looks awesome both because of Heroscape and also because I love Magic. Win-win!

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

With those base boards as the initial layer it will cut down the map build times if we get enough of them.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
My only issue is the tiles. I mean come on you can't just make the edges idented in a way that would be compatible with heroscape. In a way it feels like they did that on purpose: made all the inner tiles similar to heroscape tiles, but then the outside completely useless to try and connect to heroscape. Then again that is my inner conspiracy theorist talking. This game looks like it could be awesome.
Those aren't inner tiles. They are inner boards printed to look like tiles. The video shows this quite clearly.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
Those aren't inner tiles. They are inner boards printed to look like tiles. The video shows this quite clearly.
I know that and when I had only seen the photos I thought they looked like mats. This is actually the main thing that fueled my conspiracy theory, why print the inner tile images different? It seems as if it was meant to be a to all heroscape fans since the 'tiles' don't separate but can still be seen. Again its just my conspiracy theory.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:50 PM

betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby!

I plan on using it in a manner similar to a batlemat like the ones Auggie has sold in the past. I shall use the tan Tiles as desert sand or sandstone, and the board itself as Quicksand. My swampy jungle and dusty desert maps can finally come to fruition. @Foudzing It's a shame they won't all be painted. The clear plastic ones are still viable in my opionion as elemental creatures. Sure detailing might not be the best but, hey, we should take what we can get.
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:08 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What royally pisses me off is that there's no mention of Heroscape in that video. It's like they're ashamed of it.
Or that they are there to promote the Magic brand.
Of course they are there to promote the Magic brand Jim. However it's kinda like buying up Axis and Allies and then rearranging the forces into elves, dwarves, and orcs and calling it Magic the Battle Game. At the end of the day it's just repurposed Axis and Allies. It just sounded disingenuous to me. Look at all of the versions of Monopoly available. But regardless of whether or not it's Cute Kittens or Star Trek it's still called Monopoly. Or Hero Quest or Hero Scape, etc….

Quote:
Heroscape has a long history, coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters. I'd rather of seen them update one, or both, of those titles instead of forcing our game into the Magic mold. HeroQuest has spell cards. I've got an advanced version of BattleMasters that has spell cards as well. Or better yet just update Heroscape and rerelease it. It's a missed opportunity if you ask me.
Quote:
Did HeroScape promote itself as coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters a year before it came out? This isn't the first time Hasbro (or other game publishers) have updated one game and created a totally different game from it.
BattleMasters was indeed advertised as being from the creators of HeroQuest. (Both games were actually tied into Games Workshops Warhammer so like it or not we owe a debt of gratitude to that game.) As far as HeroScape promoting itself as coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters probably not. Too much time had gone by between their releases. Of course everyone knew the connection. My issue is that Heroscape was a completely new brand that was using the HeroQuest gaming engine. The rules were not being molded to support another brand (as is the case with this Magic game). We joke about My Little Pony Heroscape. Now we'll have Magic the GatheringScape. But they won't call it that. Even if that is indeed what it is.

Quote:
I wonder, D&D Heroscape didn't really convert anyone over to anything they weren't already playing. How does WotC think this will somehow do something different? I mean really, will Magic players really want this? As a Heroscape player it doesn't seem to have any attraction to me.
Quote:
Then it's not for you. Not every game is meant to be for everyone. Since Craig Van Ness is the lead designer, I have faith that it will be a solid game. The Magic theme doesn't particularly bother me, as I'm not a D&D player yet I love the Lords of Waterdeep game. I plan to judge the game on its own merits, not on any Magic affiliation.
At least the article FAQ states it's co-developed by "the Hasbro Gaming team responsible for RISK LEGACY and HEROSCAPE." , not specifically their designers. As far as Craig goes that's a plus, however I've been disappointed by some of his games before. I'd like to have seen Rob Daviau and Steven Baker involved. Apparently Rob knew nothing about this:

https://twitter.com/robdaviaugamer/s...39100127072256

But you are most likely correct here in your statement, it's probably not for me. The theme of a game does matter. If you don't like the theme then no matter how well designed it is you probably won't like the game.

Wow, I'm going to bow out of this. I'm starting to sound like Skyknight here when MarvelScape first came out!

What is the Magic the Gathering... "theme"?

The Magic world is just a fantasy world. Is it the "theme" you have issue with or the name?

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I'm pretty sure the mats have different edges (on the far edges, at least) to make them interconnect better. More drastic cuts makes a more solid link. The actual tiles are literally just HeroScape tiles and the board underneath lines up, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
With those base boards as the initial layer it will cut down the map build times if we get enough of them.
Hopefully it's successful enough that they start selling them separately. Maybe different configurations. I'd love to pick up a few.
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
...lead designer Craig Van Ness...
I'm optimistic.
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Yeah, I think the spell cards and squad cards in your hand may be a cool mechanic.
You should check out Dungeon Command. This new game looks like that one except on hexagons. Of course, it's the little rules that will make a big difference for me. How do they handle squads with more than 1 Life? How do they handle engagement and leaving it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Last edited by quozl; October 16th, 2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:09 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

There are three possible outcomes of this.

1. It does extremely well, so Wizards decides to re-release Heroscape to make more money, because they're the same game.

2. It fails and Wizards never makes a minis game again, so no more new Heroscape products (aside from customs)

3. It does okay, so Wizards will still make it, but won't branch out for a Heroscape revival.

Anyway, it's being directed by Criag Van Ness, so it could end up Heroscape-y. And if it does end well, we could see more Heroscape

Oops, rolled a 1.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion