Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 13th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: GenCon 2019 Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Does anyone have a good sense of exactly how long the longest games went in those rounds?
I fell asleep a few times in my last game but it was somewhere between 2.25-2.5 hours (which is waaay to long) before it was over.
Yeah, that can't happen again. People have stuff to *do* on the Saturday of GenCon, and it's not fair to spring on someone an hours-long commitment that will mess with the rest of the day. Unless, of course, the rules allow it, which they did this year.

I'm not you guys, but IMHO as a Heroscape TD, I think 90 minutes is a perfectly reasonable time limit for Day 2.
I also ended up missing dragon dice because of the game, but it's on me for not instituting the time limit before hand. I couldn't do it mid game as the Gen Con Tournament Director because that would not have been fair or ethical (though I really wanted to).

A conversation was held with my opponent after the game about playing faster and he received the criticism very well.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 13th, 2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Still only the 5 time dragon dice world champion...
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:18 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Timespan

Judging by the timestamps on some texting I was doing around that time, my round 1 game which went the longest looked to have an upper maximum of 95 minutes.

~Dysole, ballparking
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:09 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello! As an outsider who only plays casually with the wife and as someone whose never attended a tournament before, I've really enjoyed reading all about Gencon, the results and feedback.

In regards to time, I have a suggestion for how it may run smoother if you would endulge me. I'm currently not an attendee so feel free to ignore it.

Have you all considered having a personal player time limit for each game? Something like "each player has a maximum of 30 minutes to complete all his or her moves in a match."

It would go something like this:

Each player has a timer/stopwatch/clock next to him with the display visible to everyone. I've never played chess before but I'm imagining those timers each player uses in those tournament games.

Player 1 and Player 2 both start their timers the moment the game begins or when a new round starts and place their order markers. Once a player has placed his or her order markers, he or she stops their personal timer.

The round begins and whoever won initiative starts their timer again and takes their first turn. Their timer stays on until they roll their attack dice. Then they stop their timer and their opponent starts their timer to roll their defense dice. They stop their timer again after dice have been rolled.

Once a new turn begins, the timer continues.

Play continues until the game is over or until a player runs out of their personal time.

My thoughts behind this system is that if you want the games to not go past an hour, this will help keep it within that time limit while not stressing out one of the players who is constantly waiting on their opponent. It will also encourage players to move quicker while allowing them to take an extra moment for really important decisions. .
I think this is how the designers intended the game because if you reread the old comic book, Sir Hawthorne encourages one of his men to not overthink each move .

Just my two cents.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:41 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

SS, the way to do something like that would be using chess clocks, and yes, it would be much more accurate. However, it's a bit of a struggle since there's so much back and forth in Heroscape (waiting for defense rolls and such). We implemented time controls online, but online you can do it relatively seamlessly.*

Anyway, if what Dysole said is right then I suspect a day 2 time cap at 90 minutes would only affect some outlier games.

* Setting up the online timing programming to accurately reflect who was using time was fairly challenging, and the effort made it clear just how often the "active player" designation bounces back and forth in a game of Heroscape.

Last edited by dok; August 14th, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

At CP's main point about no difference between Day 1 and Day 2, there already is a bigger difference since games are mostly untimed on Day 2. I don't think there is a big deal with the games being longer either, as Day 2 is single elim and more serious.

Chess clocks would take away a lot from Heroscape which is a less serious game than chess. The way the clocks are used in Online Heroscape is only to punish egregiously slow play, not to punish people for using 30 minutes when their opponent used 20. You have to use more than 30 minutes more than your opponent and be up on points to claim online league win. Time rules in Heroscape are tough to enforce as it's not like chess where both sides have approximately equal choice complexity, different armies have different types of decisions to make. You could meta the time rules and play a complex army with the express purpose of winning games on time.

90 minutes seems perfect for Day 2 to me.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:45 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

Loved the maps this year. Whoever was in charge of them did well. (I know who was in charge of them.)

Wise Men Tournament brought out the largest group I have seen for the Thursday 8:00pm time slot yet. It shows that if you run a quality event, people will show up. I would like to see it back and tweaked slightly. Take out initiative and put in something wise.

6 games for the Main Event, well done.

I still think we need to do more to reach out to new players. How did Learn to Play do? I like that we were giving a card and figure away to each person who signed up for those. If we continue to just cater to "our little group", we will lose the game through attrition. Lonewolf, I love the banner.

I didn't play General Wars this year as I ran some events of my own. How did people like the format?

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:50 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Plastic isn’t forever. The only guaranteed ways to not eventually lose the war of attrition are to embrace digital, customs, or both.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 24th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Plastic isn’t forever. The only guaranteed ways to not eventually lose the war of attrition are to embrace digital, customs, or both.
Idk about you but I'll be chilling at Gencon 2654 with my partially entropy degraded Roman Legionnaires
Old August 24th, 2019, 11:04 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

No promises.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Quote:
Idk about you but I'll be chilling at Gencon 2654 with my partially entropy degraded Roman Legionnaires
Hanging out with the 636 times Dragon Dice world champ!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 26th, 2019, 09:54 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
We actually had a better turnout this year than in previous years and I feel like we had a strong influx of new Heroscapers that will be back for years to come.

ALL of our Learn to Play events sold out very early and there were many people that came to our HQ asking about getting in to learn to play events.

We continue to make every attempt to make the Gencon events as accessible as possible to as many people that attend Gencon as possible.
Old August 26th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Quote:
We actually had a better turnout this year than in previous years and I feel like we had a strong influx of new Heroscapers that will be back for years to come.

ALL of our Learn to Play events sold out very early and there were many people that came to our HQ asking about getting in to learn to play events.

We continue to make every attempt to make the Gencon events as accessible as possible to as many people that attend Gencon as possible.
Honestly, I think we're just fine on the people front. It's the product itself that may wear down over the years.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con