Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old April 23rd, 2019, 12:04 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker
Dusting off Scape: Looking for suggestions

Long post warning!

Hey everyone! It's been a pretty long time since I've been active here on the forums (or even submitted any maps), but I've been getting a big push from some of my long time Scape family and friends to make game sessions happen again. Years ago, we used to have a big upper room at a gym where we had 3 or 4 maps setup (long term in rotation) on a ping-pong table and we could pretty much come and go as we pleased to play Scape anytime we wanted. The entire collection was there full-time and we could easily change things out on the fly, which was so nice.

That all changed around 6 or 7 years ago and we've only been able to play Scape about 2 or 3 times during that time period, mostly due to space limitations. Even at present, my entire collection is at my parent's house, as I don't have the space to hold it all (let alone even host sessions due to the layout of my house.) I got a chance to play this last week over there on a medium sized map, but that has got me thinking about converting my collection to a more 'portable friendly' setup.

My collection consists of:

6 RotV Sets
2 SotM Sets
5 RttF Sets
2 FotA Sets
3 BftU Sets
1 TT Set
3 TJ Sets
2 Marvel Sets

I also have 1 of every character pack / wave released through wave 10 (and the 3 DD themed ones as well). The only things I never got were the VW set and the flag guys from TrU.

The biggest issues we have in playing is size and time. Way too much time gets taken up in drafting, so I've been able to come up with an easier 'offline' method of drafting (we use/love the Random Draft method!) in where we are ready to go when we show up. I have all my characters (save for the larger ones) in two 'Christmas Ornament' boxes, which are grouped together by letter so we are easily able to find what we need and what we are looking for after drafting. It also houses all my glyph, dice, order makers, blood tokens, etc. This process went much smoother as we tested it his past weekend and we were able to get off the ground and going a lot quicker than usual, after I had built the map.

I have the potential in the future of gaining access to a few places that will have large open areas / tables that we can use to setup our maps. I can't store it all there, so the need to make Scape... easily portable... has entered my mind. As of now, all of my terrain is stored in large plastic drawers and containers and I came to the realization that trying to find smaller stuff (like single swap tiles) was kind of a chore with the way I had it organized.

All of my maps are broken down by set listings in a spreadsheet and on the PDF itself. Rather than grouping together all tiles of the same type (IE: All 7 hex grass tiles and/or 7 hex (insert type here) in a drawer / container together.) What if I got several smaller containers and packed up each set INDIVIDUALLY in a container? So, if a map called for 3 RotV and 2 FotA, I'd only have to grab those 5 smaller containers, my character boxes, and I'm out the door, while leaving the rest of my collection behind of terrain that I did not need. I'm locked into a single map type for that session, but I know when I arrive I have everything I need to make the map and I'll have a much quicker time finding all the tiles without having to shuffle through everything I don't need.

Is anyone doing this already and if so, what type of boxes / containers do you use for your setup? I'm very interested in seeing/hearing how you guys work it.

Looking forward to Scaping again. I had a blast this past weekend and it really made me realize how much I miss HeroScape. Lot of fond memories in both playing and map making.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!
Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Dusting off Scape: Looking for suggestions

Welcome back!

I, like I'm sure a lot of people, just chuck everything in a box because it doesn't get moved a lot....
Old April 23rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Welcome back @Nadi . I help run tournaments (or at least bring maps) many times and I find it useful to heep stuff stored at home already ready for travel. I use @AliasQTip 's Storage Bricks for master sets and store those along with terrain sets in plastic 3-drawer cases, and have map printouts in a binder. See a recent post of mine from the thread on Heroscape Storage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I fit the small-medium figures in a Stanley Carrying Case and larger case for larger figures and dice/glyphs

The terrain I keep in 3-Compartment Plastic Drawer Unit - fits in my closet or the back of a car.

This post is outdated (needs new links) but still relevant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Have got sleeves from HouseMouseGames, eBay user stowoodbury, and that came with a large craigslist order, but just ordered the Snap-N-Store CD Storage Box from TigerDirect.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 04:21 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker

Thanks a lot! Great info here. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your larger figures in that case would you? Just trying to visualize. I need to take some pics of what I use for my figures, but as I stated above, I don't any anything yet for my larger figures (IE: Zelrig, Charos, etc.)

I actually have some of those three shelf storage units that you pictured above. I haven't thought about trying to use it, but that my work. What I have in my mind is complete master sets (1 to 1) in each drawer / container, so I just grab what I need and go out the door.

Great stuff and appreciate the suggestions!

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion