Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
hey dnutt99. nice to hear you're a true believer of MOPs.

i've been spending my time lately designing the backend for an XML/SVG application for editing HS battlefields (gonna have to start a separate thread on this soon.)

but next year (only a few days away ) i plan to get back into modular map building. i have a nice "Heroscape Room" just for storing and playing HS. and the room has a closet with shelf space to store several mops that i can slide out and onto a table and arrange them in different ways for making many different maps.
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart
Gotta chime in here. The MOPs rocked the day. I didn't know how many people were going to be comin over so I put together a bunch of 5 hex modular maps. Three modules with road exiting four sides (to allow variations in position) and three modules just terrain. All modules had one ruin and three to four trees. All modules were max height of 4.
FYI: for starting zones we just started counting from the rear corner ... usally 4 to 5 spaces out, regardless of height.

The first game was just me and dnutt so I connected a "square" of four modules (two road section in the middle and two terrain sections as starting zones).

There were four people by the time the first game ended. HEH brought over some more terrain and built up some starting zone sections that we were going to add on to the corners of the map from game 1, but then Alastair MacDirk showed up bringing our numbers to five. Now the brain teaser ... how to created a balanced 5 person map with hexes.

The answer is not easily. After shifting modules around a bit we devised a plan that used a three road modules in the center and scabbed on the five starting zones fairly evenly around the perimeter. But just as we were laying the last of the extra pieces need to balance the map sexymama came a knocking and we had six.

We quickly rearranged. We kept the three road modules in the center and added two starting zones (next to each other) on the end of each prong of center three, and then filled in with my remaining 3 terrain modules.

(Edit: inserted HEH's picture)

We played 3 one vs. one games simultaneously on a 12 module map. Players had to kill off their opponent across the filled in terrain module before attacking anyone else ... unfortunately we ran out of time for the final phase of the game.

After half of the people left, Alastair, Heretic, and I quickly put together a 6 module map (again based on three road modules in the center) and rolled on.

The MOP concept saved heaps of time and kept all of the maps balanced through the shifting number of players. I'm considering implementing a MOP draft for a future NorCal game day ... maybe with random assemply ... need to read up and think about it.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
oh man. what a great mop story. love the way it allowed for on-the-fly assembly as players came and went.

i'm thinking of doing a game event where i ask players to bring a total of 1000 points worth of a pre-made army and a pre-made mop. (maybe set a max of 600 and min of 400 for either or. this way someone doesn't make a 100 point mop and load it up with 900 points of high powered figures.) the other trick will be some type of system for determining start zones.

i think my point system works pretty well. i may scale it back just a tad to get slightly lower numbers on the total point value of a mop.

now i just have to increase my collection by making more modular maps; especially ones that use fortress terrain.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
The MOP concept saved heaps of time and kept all of the maps balanced through the shifting number of players. I'm considering implementing a MOP draft for a future NorCal game day ... maybe with random assemply ... need to read up and think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ
oh man. what a great mop story. love the way it allowed for on-the-fly assembly as players came and went.
Yeah, what you both said. I didn't understand the impications for MM system until Satyr's holiday Heroscape day. As the player numbers fluctuated (I planned to leave early), it was amazingly convienent to have the option to switch the board around.
and
The MM system is great for those with lots of terrain to assist those with fewer amounts.
I'm very glad you decided to carry the torch lit by Anon, Gary. I personally don't see myself using the system a whole lot, but knowing it's available - just brilliant!
Just a great idea all around.
Thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:21 AM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I'm very glad you decided to carry the torch lit by Anon, Gary. I personally don't see myself using the system a whole lot, but knowing it's available - just brilliant! Just a great idea all around. Thanks.
you're welcome. yep, definitely an idea that i didn't want to see die off.

thanks for putting in that picture. the first thing that jumps out unfortunately is the mixed water. (the thinner card stock and changing from att/def dice to combat dice was tolerable but why Hasbro why did you have to mess with the water? )

the other thing that i notice right away is the map edges hanging over the edge of the table (or supported by cardboard). you should try cutting out some Mop Trays from foam board that i mentioned on the previous page. makes things a lot easier for moving them around on the table when trying to figure out how to arrange them.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Ramses800 is surprisingly tart
MOPS subcategory in Downloads?

How about a MOPS subcategory in the Downloads section?
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, Ramses800!

On behalf of our HSCodex loving and modular community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake!

~Aldin, who only just really started thinking about MOPS yesterday and is still mulling them over

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Thank you Aldin, I have been lurking around here for some time now but until now(that I found MOPs) haven´t had anything to post about.
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:26 AM

Just added a bunch of MOPs in the Downloads section(under 1 MasterSet)

Old January 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses800
Just added a bunch of MOPs in the Downloads section(under 1 MasterSet)
neat! good to see others creating mops.

i noticed your Crossroads mop has road tiles ending at each vertex. with my collection of mops, i've been putting road, water, lava or ice tiles on the center hex of a mop edge, not the end hexes.

my collection is [HERE]. i need to get my butt in gear and make a few more.

also, a mop doesn't have to always be a single hex shape. for example...[MOP5112]

Last edited by GaryLASQ; April 5th, 2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Your modular map idea has worked itself into my "gamer culture". I have created a Heroscape "to go" pack. It consists of 1MS box that contains one MS, 1 RTFF, and one Glacer set.

I have a big tool box that has all of my figures and cards. I also have included all of the Dice bags that came with the FB. Each bag contains all dice, one set of order markers and 5 wound markers. I just give each player a bag and they have everything they need. I also have sheets of 120 random armies from the Billy Baruo's drafter. I also included all of the modular maps to date.

I hand a modular map page to each player and they build their own. We then combine the pieces to make a fun looking map.

The only thing that does not fit is my dice tower.

This is a great kit that allows me to start a game in under 15 minutes.

I love the modular map concept and should start making my own soon.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Spin Master

good idea. i'd like to see a picture of a "to go" pack.

i haven't done much with Glacier terrain. think that will be my next HS thing to do...create 3 or 4 nice glacier mops. i did 1 with nothing but the glacier expansion just to see what that might look like. then i did one with just a glacier set and booster terrain (too much booster terrain i'm afraid...)

what i need to do is make 3 glacier mops with a glacier set combined with a left-master and then with a right-master and then with a full-master.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios