Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape
Battlefields of Star Wars Scape HoSS Maps and Scenarios

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:07 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: The Design Holocron of Bespin Landing Platforms

You could let them only target the raised part of the platform. I think that would be better anyway. I'm still getting around to playing this one. Its been sitting on the game table for at least a week now.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:29 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
You could also provide a second Battlefront scenario by adding additional glyph control points. Looking good yoda.
I like your thinking...

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:40 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
You could also provide a second Battlefront scenario by adding additional glyph control points. Looking good yoda.
I like your thinking...
Eventually we will get back to discussing Battlefront rules/ideas. I want to eventually make a BF scenario for every Competitive HOSS map that is out. You know, once we figure out how we are going to do it.

Old November 14th, 2015, 11:39 PM
"like" happy

Ok, I played a couple of tests on this map tonight.

PT overview in the spoiler tab:
Spoiler Alert!

Old November 15th, 2015, 01:24 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the tests and feedback TREX. Glad you enjoyed it. I've had a similar experience so far but I'm only 1 test in.
Old November 15th, 2015, 05:51 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Thanks for the tests and feedback TREX. Glad you enjoyed it. I've had a similar experience so far but I'm only 1 test in.
It makes me want to shuffle some of my DO's on the carbon freeze chamber a little. To get more out of them.

Old November 16th, 2015, 06:22 AM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

I know I am late to the party here, but can you swap out the arches for columns instead? I ask because some of the larger units can not fit through the door. Unless that is ok for a competitive map. Just wondering, Hosey really wants to get a game in with the new Brachy-whatever and I was going to try this map out over thanksgiving.

edit: I posted that quickly while on break at work and didn't quite make as much sense as I wanted. So, let me rephrase.

I know I could house rule it so that big guys can fit through the arch or build it with columns myself. When I think of a competitive map, I think of a map that all units can use. There is enough space for the hive in the start zone, double-space walkers can get everywhere (reasonably), no dragon perches. Things like that. I know big guys have a disadvantage with placement on some maps. But on this map, there is no work around for the big double-space walkers. They simply can not get in where the action is. And on top of it, since they are stuck outside, they may get blasted with the defense system. If this is ok with you guys, great. I can see it leading to some weird things like an AT-ST running around inside, and maybe you don't want that. But I just wanted to bring it to your attention. We play with a lot of big figures. Hosey is twelve, so he still gets awestruck by the big guys sometimes. So I always look at a map with that in mind. When I saw the arch, I immediately thought I would just use regular columns instead. Again, thanks for all your hard work, just wanted to throw that out there.

Last edited by hose; November 16th, 2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: more coherent thought process
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:05 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose View Post
I know I am late to the party here, but can you swap out the arches for columns instead? I ask because some of the larger units can not fit through the door. Unless that is ok for a competitive map. Just wondering, Hosey really wants to get a game in with the new Brachy-whatever and I was going to try this map out over thanksgiving.
If you would want to change out the arches for columns for your game that should be fine. The idea behind the arches is that once you go into the corridor, its in the bespin hallways. Outside is the platform. Large and Huge figures that can't fit through the door shouldn't be able to go into the door. @Yodaking , if this is the case, maybe quite possibly might have to change this to a casual hoss map. If restricting it to units that fit through the door.

Old November 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah the arches were put there based on the theme, land outside and move inside the city. The fact that it also cuts off the AT-ST and Rancor from moving inside is generally fine with me because that is how it would work out at the real Bespin too. Generally speaking for BoSS, we tend to focus more on iconic Star Wars related maps with all HoSS figure games in mind. Classic already has a fantastic map program and we are not trying to supplant or compete with what they do. The Star Wars & HoSS focus is what sets us apart. I know the AT-ST can currently move down the Death Star Hallways and move inside on a few other BoSS maps but we try to balance the theme with the practical application of the rules when possible.

That being said, their are 4 end walls left over so they could be switched out. I'm not sure if the Rancor figure could squeeze between them even with the arch top gone though as the gap opening is only 1 hex. To make the map accessible to all, I think the entrance would need to be widened as well so I'd end up removing the arches and replacing the columns they are attached too with the wall ends. I can make that change on the board I have set up and see how it looks, I'll also see how the AT-ST then fits but admittedly I have still not switched it over to a peanut base. I don't own the Rancor to check that though.

In the end, I suspect I'd prefer to maintain the theme for this map and just switch it over to a casual map if it is a competitive issue for everyone else to trap the AT-ST, Rancor, Acklay, and a few other figures outside. Having played the map I think it is competitive in terms of HoSS testing and drafted games between friends (ie. don't draft the Rancor on this map, or have a house rule agreement to ignore that issue), the tournament setting is where it would be problematic as you show up with an army not knowing what maps you will be playing on. That brings up the larger question, do all competitive maps need to also be tournament maps? I think since the tournament director usually selects which maps to use, every competitive map may not necessarily have to be a good tournament map.

Thanks for bringing this up Hose, it is a worthwhile discussion to have.

Last edited by Yodaking; November 16th, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:33 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

I can definitely see your point. I like theme. That's something you guys have been really good with throughout.
I don't think competitive map equals tournament map now that I think about it more. The game was (is) set up as a draft, so like you said, just don't use those units. I was thinking more of double blind tournament setting, since that is what I am used to.
Thanks for listening and replying.
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:05 PM
C3G Landlord

Name of Map (Bespin Landing Platforms)

Overall Look: Looks like what you would expect from a set of sci-fi landing pads, two large areas for putting down the ship connected by a hallway that leads up some steps to a larger complex. The color scheme achieved with the hex choices looks great.

Stability: The bottom layer of each landing pad is constructed from some single hex tiles that are not locked in on all sides, making it a map you really don’t want to move once assembled unless you built it on a board of some sort and can just pick up and move the board. Otherwise the walls are secure and none of the top layer tiles moved or shifted on me at all.

Build difficulty: Pretty easy to do, only a few layers and it is pretty clear where everything goes.

Size: Long and narrow, a nice contrast so some of the short and wide maps we already have.

Unit types positively affected: All the Concrete, Road, & Asphalt tiles provide a nice boost for the Death Star Troopers. All the DO’s are helpful for any figure that likes to stand in one space and fire a weapon. Vader II really enjoyed throwing the DO’s at people. Figures with an Area of Effect SA like the close quarters.

Unit types negatively affected: Slower moving units take longer to get into the action with the map being fairly long. Large swarming armies also can find they get bunched up in the narrow hallways filled with DO’s, opening them up to Area of Effect SA. Huge figures are trapped outside of the hallways and thus are a poor option on this map.

Key areas on the Map: The Center Control Glyph is certainly something that gets fought over, if nothing else to deny your opponent a chance to use the free attack before you can get all your forces moved inside. The steps provide high ground overlooking the glyph and parts of each hall, thus becoming a key area to try and grab a hold of. The DO’s provide nice cover as you move up the hall way in your assault on the opponent’s hallway.

Areas not used much or at all: Outside of disembarking, the landing platforms themselves are not really used as a play area. The Glyph SA keeps you moving your forces inside and then most of the fight takes place in the hallways. Perhaps a Battlefront style game system will one day make you assault and take over your opponents Landing Platform in order to win.

Game 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
Spoiler Alert!

Final Thoughts: I find this map to be a fun battleground where two sides are fighting for control over the board center. It is a fairly small patch of ground you fight over but it really works well. Lots of tactical decisions to be made on both sides with the spread out high ground spaces, DO’s that provide defense help, and the Control Glyph that can give your army a free attack on your opponents reinforcements during the early portion of the game.
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:30 PM
"like" happy

@Yodaking , nice take away, I agree on all accounts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape