Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 6th, 2021, 11:49 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 10/6/2021 - Marro Warlor)

Here's something that I've been mulling over for a while. As I'm sure many of you could affirm, the fact that Paizo is making pre-painted sci-fi figures is very nice for the customs community, and I was pleased to see one such sculpt that possesses the rare ability to pass for a Marro.

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo.com.

The figure used for this unit is a Starfinder Battles figure from the Planets of Peril set. The name of the figure is Swarm Mindreaper.

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, comments are welcome.
Old October 7th, 2021, 02:03 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 9/18/2021 - Marro Warlord

Ig-Choq-Sa: It's good having a Marro Warlord who can aid the Groks without being another good bonding option for the Romans (who are universally preferred by Ne-Gok-Sa and Me-Burq-Sa). He also does so in a unique way with the extra attacks for them. Groks with Frenzy could be scary.

I'm not sure why you were concerned with blocking Dividers from using his power. They're about equal to the Drones in strength and the Drones' swarm power could give them more chances to trigger Swarming Marro Frenzy. Blocking the Havechs is more understandable as they are pretty powerful as is. I think it working on Drones, Dividers, Gnids and Groks works just fine as is.

Drain and Detach is pretty wordy. With an attack of 3 I'm not sure how many heroes he's going to be killing and for how many wounds when he does. I'd be curious to see how many Gnids he can bring back in a game with his attack to see if it's worth all that text. The fact that Gnids can reduce Defense helps with this so perhaps it's more useful than it seems on first glance.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old October 7th, 2021, 09:44 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 9/18/2021 - Marro Warlord

Cool custom! I agree with taf that leaving the divider synergy is probably fine, and I’ll point out that since havech have 5 range they’re not affected anyway even with the mechanical components restriction.

I’d want to see the figure in action to see whether drain and detach activates often enough to justify the wordiness, but I like the concept!
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:28 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 10/6/2021 - Marro Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Ig-Choq-Sa: It's good having a Marro Warlord who can aid the Groks without being another good bonding option for the Romans (who are universally preferred by Ne-Gok-Sa and Me-Burq-Sa). He also does so in a unique way with the extra attacks for them. Groks with Frenzy could be scary.

I'm not sure why you were concerned with blocking Dividers from using his power. They're about equal to the Drones in strength and the Drones' swarm power could give them more chances to trigger Swarming Marro Frenzy. Blocking the Havechs is more understandable as they are pretty powerful as is. I think it working on Drones, Dividers, Gnids and Groks works just fine as is.

Drain and Detach is pretty wordy. With an attack of 3 I'm not sure how many heroes he's going to be killing and for how many wounds when he does. I'd be curious to see how many Gnids he can bring back in a game with his attack to see if it's worth all that text. The fact that Gnids can reduce Defense helps with this so perhaps it's more useful than it seems on first glance.

~TAF
Thanks. I like Romans as much as the next guy, but I try not to give them any more excellent bonding targets if I can avoid it. Amusingly, I guess the frenzy power might not be unique anymore once C3V's queen bee is released, but I was in the dark about that thing's power while brainstorming this custom.

I had written off the Dividers for two reasons. First, that squad has notably better staying power than the other beneficiaries of Ig-Choq-Sa's aura, so I had worried that the extra attacks per round might make the Dividers acutely frustrating to fight. Second, the absence of an official bio for the Dividers meant I couldn't confidently place them in the same thematic category of "savage/mindless combatant" as the other affected Marro. You do make a good point about their relative strength, though.

On Drain and Detach: although I experienced exceptionally poor rolls when testing Ig-Choq-Sa with the Gnids, the unit was fairly consistent at picking off weakened targets hindered by an Attached Gnid or two. Attach's Defense drop definitely helps land killing blows, but the fact that a 3-dice attack doesn't return more than one Gnid very frequently was an admitted issue. I had considered giving the unit a "Marro Sneak Attack" power a la Urk to compensate, but I wasn't really sure if it warranted cluttering the card further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Cool custom! I agree with taf that leaving the divider synergy is probably fine, and I’ll point out that since havech have 5 range they’re not affected anyway even with the mechanical components restriction.

I’d want to see the figure in action to see whether drain and detach activates often enough to justify the wordiness, but I like the concept!
I'm glad you like the unit. I'll probably test Divider synergy more intensively later down the line. Also, you are right about the Havech; I haven't played them in a long time, so I had forgotten that they didn't gain range through Plasma Surge. I'll probably leave in the line, anyway, to future-proof the design in the off-chance I find a sculpt that could make a suitable Havech squad.
Old October 8th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby! Chill rolls all skulls baby!

I agree that Drain and Detach seems useful but wordy - maybe since it’s unlikely to remove more than one gnid, you could say just remove one gnid each time you destroy a figure. Could simplify it a lot without sacrificing much power!
Old October 9th, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I agree that Drain and Detach seems useful but wordy - maybe since it’s unlikely to remove more than one gnid, you could say just remove one gnid each time you destroy a figure. Could simplify it a lot without sacrificing much power!
Thanks for stopping by the thread. A simpler card would be very nice, as the current one is fairly cluttered, but I'll more likely try to find a way to increase Ig-Choq-Sa's attacking strength without unbalancing the unit. Returning an entire multi-Gnid "investment" just feels great, and I would prefer to keep that possibility.
Old October 11th, 2021, 11:35 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Quote:
Thanks for stopping by the thread. A simpler card would be very nice, as the current one is fairly cluttered, but I'll more likely try to find a way to increase Ig-Choq-Sa's attacking strength without unbalancing the unit. Returning an entire multi-Gnid "investment" just feels great, and I would prefer to keep that possibility.
I’d recommend having him always return up to 3 in that case. Much simpler and probably not overpowered?
Old October 15th, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Quote:
I’d recommend having him always return up to 3 in that case. Much simpler and probably not overpowered?
Interesting idea; I'll play around with that change. The Gnids are pretty weak individually, so I don't think such a "positive trade" for destroying something with Ig-Choq-Sa would be extraordinarily strong. I do tend to prefer higher-variance Marro designs, though, if only because of how much 20-sided-die-rolling is involved in the classic Marro units.
Old October 25th, 2021, 11:59 PM

Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 10/25/2021 - Hag)

I'm back with another unit. This one is a little more complex than I thought it would be when I started the design, but it's enjoyable to use after learning its card.

Original figure image credit goes to Paizo.com

The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the The Lost Coast set. The names] of the figure is Green Hag.
Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, comments are welcome.

Last edited by Blue Trails; October 27th, 2021 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Fixed mistakes in the Card Text section.
Old October 26th, 2021, 01:22 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice theme and mechanic for an uncommon here.
There is a lot of new mazed wording here, but it isn’t the rarest thing and could be understood with some time to learn it.
3 range is awkward to me. Anything under 4 range to me is because of the game mechanic that range = infinite height range. Is it necessary for the wording “at least one of this Setshalaic Beldams Coven Sisters” as apposed to “ within 3 clear sight space of a Setshalaic Beldams Coven Sister you control”?
Twist of fate is a pretty low chance, but with the possible +1 and possible multiple turns with Setshalaic Beldums, it sounds like a fun mechanic.
Old October 26th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

An interesting idea you've got going on here. I should say that it is a lot of text for what seems like a relatively unremarkable unit on paper, although a trio could absolutely ruin d20 armies if their effect stacks (which I assume it does). I'd be interested to see if you plan on making a Unique leader Hag in the future that could be part of a sisterhood as that could really make this unit a portential threat (see what I did there?). There's a lot of different types of hags in D&D so you could have a pretty cool faction on your hands if they each did different things for their respective covens.

My main concern with this unit as an Uncommon one is that you can have multiple Sisterhoods with groups of three, and keeping track of which ones are in which covens (see what I did there?) could become a problem.

The Card Text notes contain a redundant "This Setshalaic Beldam's Hag's Coven may include no more than two other Heroes." which is not present on the actual card, as well as "you may reroll add 1 to the result" for Sisterhood of Chance.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old October 27th, 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Nice theme and mechanic for an uncommon here.
There is a lot of new mazed wording here, but it isn’t the rarest thing and could be understood with some time to learn it.
3 range is awkward to me. Anything under 4 range to me is because of the game mechanic that range = infinite height range. Is it necessary for the wording “at least one of this Setshalaic Beldams Coven Sisters” as apposed to “ within 3 clear sight space of a Setshalaic Beldams Coven Sister you control”?
Twist of fate is a pretty low chance, but with the possible +1 and possible multiple turns with Setshalaic Beldums, it sounds like a fun mechanic.
I'm glad you like the unit! The card's wordiness is unfortunate, but I couldn't find a way to effectively convey the concept without writing it that way.

I respect your thoughts on the unit's Range. Through both the shared Range of the Beldam's normal attack and Twist of Fate power and the Bio (which I admittedly don't expect people to read), I was trying to sell the idea that the unit's "attacks" are a mixture of hexes, curses, and suspicious, ambiguously supernatural accidents rather than true magic projectiles. I might tweak some details if the idea doesn't land properly, though. Meanwhile, the wording on Portentous Coven is intended to allow multiple Beldams to stack this debuff (though only up to -3) and prevent the power from affecting opponents' figures after the Coven is reduced to a single Hag.

Also, you're right about Twist of Fate: the power is primarily balanced around taking multiple Portentous-Coven-boosted Beldam turns, but the relatively low likelihood is appropriate for a 50-point unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
An interesting idea you've got going on here. I should say that it is a lot of text for what seems like a relatively unremarkable unit on paper, although a trio could absolutely ruin d20 armies if their effect stacks (which I assume it does). I'd be interested to see if you plan on making a Unique leader Hag in the future that could be part of a sisterhood as that could really make this unit a portential threat (see what I did there?). There's a lot of different types of hags in D&D so you could have a pretty cool faction on your hands if they each did different things for their respective covens.

My main concern with this unit as an Uncommon one is that you can have multiple Sisterhoods with groups of three, and keeping track of which ones are in which covens (see what I did there?) could become a problem.

The Card Text notes contain a redundant "This Setshalaic Beldam's Hag's Coven may include no more than two other Heroes." which is not present on the actual card, as well as "you may reroll add 1 to the result" for Sisterhood of Chance.

~TAF
Thanks for commenting. I will admit that making complicated cards is a weakness of mine. Portentous Coven's effect is intended to stack with other Beldams', and the units' low durability is the intended balancing factor for such a powerful effect.

It's cool that you thought of a Hag leader, because I do, in fact, have a Unique Hag concept in the works. However, I haven't quite decided on what I want it to do besides draw attention from the vulnerable Beldams. The idea of expanding into a full-fledged faction is also very enticing, so I'll spend some time investigating D&D's Hags. I'll probably continue to make up a few Feylund Hags, though, to give myself more creative liberties.

In testing, I abused the shape of Heroscape's Army Cards to push together a full Coven of proxied Hag cards like puzzle pieces. That was fairly helpful in keeping Coven Sisters straight, but some sort of marker system might work better in limited-space conditions.

Also, thanks for spotting those mistake in the card text; I must have pulled a messier draft of the power effects from the file I used for the unit.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards