Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Can't everybody just be an A+?
Correction: Heavies, Grimnak, and Nerak all are. Everyone else are lower.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:39 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Time Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post

Same discussion sparked over what to give Rygarn, but the consensus is that he gets an A- due to his best build.
As the champion of Rygarn I can say that it wasn't exactly a consensus but more of a "If Rygarn deserves to go up this is where he would be". I personally think he could deserve that range but I can see the argument against it.

~Dysole, not too sold on Blades fitting there
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Scapecon 2021 Main Event Champion

Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker Major Q23 knows what's in an order marker

I feel the need to throw in my opinion ever so briefly:

Dwarfs>Blades

My work here is done.

Don't cry because the tournament is over, smile because it happened
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not User Name View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
Is it possible that these rankings can be changed at all?

Blade Gruts should be moved up, they are vastly superior to Arrow Gruts and only slightly inferior to Heavy Gruts. They should be an A-.
As long as starting zones are there Blades Gruts are well ranked.

They're only really good in something like 400~450 points 24 hex, something which does not exist anymore.

They're a very active unit, so you can't mix them with dragons, majors or Kravs very effectively.

What you can take with them is Grimnak, Nerak, Raelin, Tornak.
You can take all that and 4 squads and you're at 510 points 23 hex.
The problem is that Tornak is not very good, and you don't need 2 fighting heroes, and 3 heroes for 4 squads is a lot, is so you want to cut it, but if you cut it you're à 410 points 21hexs, this kind of format doesn't exist.

Now that the standart SZ is 16 hexes, Blade Gruts are burried 6 feet deep, they even didn't deserve B+ with this SZ.
You can mix them with any Utgar hero thanks to Ornak.
He's still ignoring the reality that Blades were undefeated at 6-0 with this exact format. The army that was beat on day 2 was Hounds, fwiw.
Ornak is way more effective with Heavies than with blade Gruts, it's mathematic.
I won a tournament with Gladiatrons with no Blastatrons, Ixe went 4-0 with McDricks then lost against McDricks in the first RtW round, MM's spiders went 5-0 in day 1.
That does not mean those units deserve A- (well Glads do but only with blasts ^^ ).

Now with such formats you can have a very good run with basically any army as long as it does not suck. RtW is just about getting the good machups in Round-robin and getting the "bad" machups in Playoffs.

While I am at it, I don't think the orc powercreep deserve A+, because you've to kinda give up on range (you can just have Marro Warriors, who can't do much against Kravs or Majors) and so you're not extremly versatile, you can have bad maps or bad machups.

Old December 19th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I agree with orc that the Blades are better than the Dwarves.

The Blades would definitely win the head to head. They get their 6 move all the time, while the Dwarves only get 6 if they choose not to bond. Fearless Advantage is only going to help against Grimnak and Nerak, and if the Dwarves are focusing them, they are ignoring the Blades. The Blades would be able to take out the Dwarves and limit activations very quickly.

In the general meta, I still think Blades probably beat Dwarves. People say that Dwarves are a Q9 counter, but the Dwarves have no real way to hack through the rat wall. The Blades can, with disengage and Chomp. While they may be slower at killing Q9 once they get there, they'll get there 2-3 turns faster (or more, depending on how many Rats and how close to the startzone Q9 pods), making the turn Q9 dies come around the same time. The Dwarves will probably win more games against Hounds and other all large/huge armies, but those aren't that common. I'd rather have the increased matchup chances against other melee bonding armies, or Stingers, or other commonly seen tournament armies. Dwarves are a counter to a specific metagame, where large and huge figures rule. Blades have slightly better overall matchups.

Still, there are better bonding squads than Blades. IMO:

Knights>Deathchasers>Heavies>Romans>Blades>Axegrinders>MacDirks>Capuan >Spiders>Death Knights>Armocs>>>>Grok Riders

Last edited by vegietarian18; December 30th, 2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Nagrubs and Greenscales don't make the list since their armies are based on the hero not the squad
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Still, there are better bonding squads than Blades. IMO:

Knights>Deathchasers>Heavies>Romans>Blades>Axegrinders>Capuans>Spiders >Death Knights>Armocs>>>>Grok Riders
Vegie is a scaper after my own heart, clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaper of the Week #53: DadScaper
Favorite Common Squad and why?

Death Chasers of Thesk. Go Evil. I like a bunch of the units from D1 and D2, though. Goblins, too. Lots of fun, which is the main thing, and good enough for me to play them at tourneys.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:35 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Deathchasers are one of my favorite units, right up there with Dreadguls of VC being one of my favorites.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:51 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

If cost is factored in -- not 'Scape point costs, but real dollar costs -- then the Blades bury the Heavies.

It'd be fun to draw up an extended version of the Power Rankings which would factor in cost/availability. How many squads of unit X does one need to field them in their ideal army, and what is the average price of those units on eBay? Multiplying those together would provide a coefficient which could then be applied to (divided into) their vanilla power ranking, revealing what units are true powerhouses for their real-life dollar costs.

What would be tops of this list? Perhaps the easily-available 10th? Romans? Blades? Stingers? Sure as heck wouldn't be Glads, 4th, or Heavies.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree that the Blades are underrated, but they're not as high as you're depicting them. I think theyre at B+ for sure, same with Arrow Gruts, I'm really not seeing either at B. Both have really strong bonding benefits and are cheap; their low base stats (even though boost-able with all of the heroes and raelin, the problem will eventually surface) keep them below the As, but they can still do great things.

Meanwhile, I think Capuans are too high. they're B imo. I just don't see it at all. Against all melee they're ok, but I think any good player can play around them and not fall into dangerous positions. Against a swarm of mass, stingers, ect. they have like no chance. There's really only one build you can play with them too. I dunno, they're fun with their intense stats, but I think as long as you play safe and out maneuver them they can't do much.

I'd definitely choose Blades (or Arrows) over them anyday.

Last edited by Cleon; December 20th, 2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Knights>Deathchasers>Heavies>Romans>Blades>Axegrinders>Capuans>Spiders >Death Knights>Armocs>>>>Grok Riders
Um, Greenscales? Surely they're better than Grok Riders!

I agree that Capuans might be ranked too high.

Interesting to see Deathchasers so high. I remember thinking they had potential, but stopped playing in as many tournaments by the time they came out.

I feel like Blades fell off after point costs went up. I played against Dwarves twice as the 4th Mass at GenCon, and split the games. Both were close. Morgrimm is wicked against them.

One could also argue that Arrows deserve to move up too. I went 5-0 with them not too long ago, beating some Q9's (in suboptimal builds) and a tron army. In a lot of these "B or B+ and below" kinds of tournaments, Arrow Gruts, even without Krug start showing up.

I don't know if I'll really end up changing anything. Maybe if I started playing more again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I left out Greenscales and Nagrubs because I feel like those armies are more based on the hero than the squad. I don't really think of Greenscales when I think of melee bonding.

I may slightly overrate Deathchasers, but they feel incredibly strong to me. 4 attack base is awesome, and Raelin and Nerak turn their defense from bad to great. For 400 points, 4x Deathchasers, Raelin, Nerak, and Me-Burq-Sa is an incredibly efficient army.

I took Arrows to the main event this year, and they performed worse than I expected (luckily, the average army was also worse than I expected). Without Krug, the army lacks the consistent hitting power necessary to take down heroes. Maybe Mimring was just too expensive for me to pack in enough Swogs (I only got 3).
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:10 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Love me some Greenscales!

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion