Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM

beaverphang has disabled reputation
Custom Units???!!???!

I have seen various custom units for sell. I am a "beginner" heroscape player and am really loving the game. While I understand it would be rather undifficult to create a new custom army card, I was curious as to where custom units come from. How are the new models made? Where do you get the bases for the new characters? Are they made from molds? etc.

if someone would please....fill me in

thanks

b-phang-
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:13 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Wow, that's a question that has a big answer.

I am currently making custom units out of my extra master set units (I have three master sets). I cut some guys up and switch arms around and paint guys and so forth.

Some people use figures from Wizkids games (heroclix, mage knight, etc). You can cut them off their bases and superglue them to extra heroscape bases (again from extra master set guys), or just use them as is. You can also do this with D&D miniatures.

There are also many different ways to base figures, from extra MS bases, to self molded bases, or even custom wooden bases. I don't know too much about these, since I currently just use my extra master set bases.

There is stuff all over in the custom units and army cards forum for all sorts of info and tutorials and sample customs.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
Customs come from our imaginations. We either have a figure or character we want to make a card for, or we have an idea for a card and try to find an appropriate figure.

There are several ways to make the cards, and there are a few 'stickied' threads that provide some instruction. Cupid's art has some good photoshop tips and there is another non-photoshop thread.

Additionally there are a few pc based pieces of software that help you make cards. Look in the download sections for these.

You can also post the text of your ideas - post a picture too, if you have one of the figure you have in mind - and you may get some constructive, helpful, scathing, brutally honest, or kind feedback. Finished-looking cards tend to get more feedback. When there is big news then expect no feedback.

People find figures from all sorts of places, but Heroclix and Mageknight and D&D miniatures are all popular choices for prepainted figures.

The bases (if you want to have matching ones) come from duplicate Master Set figures (they are all unique after all) or other round bases (WarMachine is good) or there is a set of moulds travelling the country.

Have a look at the Halls of Valhalla (best of customs thread) and the Barracks (good to go customs). Then troll around other people's threads to see what people are doing. Start with my thread - linked below...

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:45 AM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Custom Units???!!???!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverphang
I was curious as to where custom units come from.
I hope you take this in a funny way - I have to share this reading of your post:

"Mommy?
Where do custom units come from?"

Old July 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
For bases I use HS figure bases that I pry the figures off of. Most of my customs are modified. Instead of just repainting I usually use Greenstuff (sculpting apoxy) and chop up figures to make what I want.

I'm not so good with abilities so I stray away from cards but if you have access to Photoshop you could try out my Tuturial,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...hread.php?t=87

Or if you would like to see some of the great work people have done check out the different customs in "Halls of Valhala" Or "Barracks" threads,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards