Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old November 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM

JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker
Re: Workshop Thread

Okay, thank you! Alright, so I'm officially submitting this map, Henge Arena for workshopping!
Here's the pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aF1...ew?usp=sharing

Heres the image:
Old November 24th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I’d like to comment in... Astrid doesn’t guarentee a win. Hell, I’ve lost with both Astrid and Thorian in my control (this was at a tournement sometime this year). Bad units make a difference and all.

But for the most part, Astrid is quite strong.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM

JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker JaesShurrig knows what's in an order marker

Here is an updated map after taking what you said into account. This time, I tweaked edges a bit to work with the roads and added a bit of height to the middle of the map to draw in competition. The roads now create equal access to the glyphs on the side, and those glyphs now face down. The roads on the side also add a thematic layer, as they were probably once the stands that the audiences would watch gladiators and heroes duke it out before it became what it is now. (Still workshopping)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/173B...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by JaesShurrig; November 25th, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:22 AM
The Real Zombieland

Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Here is an updated map after taking what you said into account. This time, I tweaked edges a bit to work with the roads and added a bit of height to the middle of the map to draw in competition. The roads now create equal access to the glyphs on the side, and those glyphs now face down. The roads on the side also add a thematic layer, as they were probably once the stands that the audiences would watch gladiators and heroes duke it out before it became what it is now. (Still workshopping)

I am not a member of the ARV, but here is what I think...

I like this version a lot more than your previous versions. There's still a lot of single hex choke points near the startzones, but it helps that there are a lot of them, since it's a lot harder to hold all of them. The road/castle-walkway along the edges also help speed things up, unfortunately the glyphs on the sides appear to be on level 4, which is too powerful for them. Glyphs can be very influential, so you should never put them in a position that is too easy to hold. If a ranged army can get set up on either edge, they will be able to stop anyone else from holding the center, and screens will have an amazing time holding the 3 single hex entrances to those side areas, and the shadow spaces just make it easier for the screens to hold. You are making good progress though, so keep working on it.
Old November 26th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

I like this version a lot more! I think it's got a lot going for it. the road is used a lot more effectively, glyphs are now within 2 activations for both 5 and 6 move figures, startzones are lowered, development out of the startzone has many avenues and is fast and easy and there is definitely reasons for me to invest my unit going to both the center AND the edge. The glyphs on lvl 4 does seem a bit high, but I like how you've offset it with the 7hex and 3hex sand in the center on lvl 4 AND the lvl 5 single hexes in the center of the 7hex that can shoot back. The only downside then to having a glyph at that height is against melee who will have a harder time assaulting those positions.

Overall I think you've made some good revisions. I think I'd probably be okay playtesting this version, but I think you should hear from the other judges and what they think first before either continuing to workshop it or resubmitting it for consideration, yet in the same breath...you can officially resubmit it at anytime you like if you feel it is ready.
Old November 26th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Wow, Henge Arena 2.0 looks like a vast improvement over the original! I really liked the concept of the map during the contest, and am excited to see the changes that you've made to it. I look forward on playing on it, and then I'll let you know if I have any suggestions!
Old November 27th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

I like the changes you've been making to your map and I'm really glad to see you so willing to workshop it! I like that you've kept the theme but have worked with suggestions to make it more competitive.

As-is right now, it's a huge improvement already. I do have a few specific suggestions, though. Looking at it, the strongest points on the map are easily the edge strips of road with glyphs (as Leaf_It noted). Right now, it would be super easy for an army to take one of those flanks and camp, and since those strips are one of the highest points of the map and have a glyph on them, they would be richly rewarded. Figures with a range of 6 or more can shoot Wannok from those strips, which means that glyph won't be helping against them a ton. Armies will be forced to take those really narrow choke points to fight the campers, and that won't be super fun. Or, if each army takes one flank, then they'll just stare at each other saying "No, you come to me," and that doesn't make for great games. The three water hexes by each road flank also really slow down movement from side to side, adding to how inaccessible those flanks are except by the start zones.

However, I think you can easily deal with that situation with three simple modifications (and I usually don't get this specific with feedback, but I'm making an exception here).
First: Lower those high road flanks by one level. This keeps them high enough that they're powerful, but they don't dominate, and they're easier to attack. This also makes them more suited for quick transport from start zone to start zone, which I think is what you were going for.
Second: For each group of two Shadow Spaces, take the one that is closest to the middle and move it in one space, replacing the Water hex that it is adjacent to (you could just switch the water and shadow hexes). This widens the area by which figures can attack the road, if needed. It also opens up the paths in that area in general, meaning figures can get on and off the road into the action more easily, and figures on the road can also attack the central hills if needed, too.
Third: Take those edge Power Glyphs, and dunk them in the center water tiles by their roads (which will now be flanked by Shadow tiles). This puts the glyphs in less powerful positions that are more easily contested, which will ideally draw more action towards them.

Those are my thoughts. Like I said, I usually try to avoid being that specific because I don't want to feel like I'm being intrusive on what I think someone should do with their map, and if you disagree with me at all then that's completely fine. It's also possible that even just one or two of those changes would be enough to make the map competitive. (BTW, they are in order of importance too, so I really do think the edges should be lowered by one level, but once that happens it's altogether possible that you won't need to water-dunk the glyphs.) Just look it over and take what you will from it. Either way, thanks for workshopping with us and I'm excited to see where the map goes!
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

Agreed Bigga. I like the points you brought up for this version. I think you're right about the edge needing to be lowered by 1 level. I think that'll really make that position less strong and make the height in the middle more enticing. It also now allows 4 move figures to reach glyphs by turn 2, which means this map would cater to all kinds of armies for glyph control. Your other points are good too, though I think as you mentioned, regardless of what JaesShurrig decides, I think the lowering of the edges is the most important.
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM

Okay, I've fixed the edges up a bit, and I think I'm ready for an official resubmission for playtesting! Thank you guys for helping me with this map, this has taught me a lot about what goes into map making, and I will surely remember this when making future maps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vxl...ew?usp=sharing
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, I've fixed the edges up a bit, and I think I'm ready for an official resubmission for playtesting! Thank you guys for helping me with this map, this has taught me a lot about what goes into map making, and I will surely remember this when making future maps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vxl...ew?usp=sharing
Sounds like hes ready to submit it for our vote....
I like the changes... I say to review in playtesting.
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)

BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

to review Henge Arena.
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:07 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This has been a great learning experience guys. thanks to @JaesShurrig for taking constructive criticism and for the great explanations as to the why and how's of the process from everyone else. Very educational and at no point did any of it seem demanding or condescending. I salute you all.

Try to remember that we are here on the site to give each other help and joy, not grief and irritation. - David Harrison Dyer Revdyer
RIP

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla