Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 16th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Question Underrated Units

Sorry if it's been done before, but I was curious to see what some people's favorite (but not necessarily competitive) Heroscape units are. We all have beloved figures that seemingly never get any love on the competitive scene, or maybe there are some figures that we think deserve higher ratings.

These units always seems to get scoffs from other players, but are they really that bad? Depends on the scenario, map, enemy army, and luck of the dice I suppose.

My Underrated unit of choice is the Roman Archers. For some reason these guys are considered really bad, even the worst Common Ranged Squad in the game by many. Sure, they're no match against Wait Then Fire squads, but I still think they're decent in their own right. They're fairly inexpensive, and can kill both Squads and Heroes. Heck, Arrow Volley is the strongest ranged attack in the game attack-value-wise. With enough reinforcements to maintain the Volley and a good screen of Legionnaires they can do just fine.

Of course, I can understand perfectly why others wouldn't like them. Marro Stingers exist, after all. But still, they see plenty of use at my place, and they've been a favorite of mine ever since their debut in Wave 1 even with other stronger units coming out over time.

So, what less-favorable units do you like to use? What's your own personal favorite Underrated Unit? Who's the King or Queen of your non-competitive games? I'm curious to see what you guys think.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 16th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Underrated Units

KidScaper really tried with the Roman Archers at a tournament last year. He got wrecked.

For a while - and I think it's still true - the unit I've done the best with in competitive play is Crixus. He's a hard-hitting beatstick, and in some formats, that's what you need. I might have three tournament wins with him, now that I think of it. I'd have to check, and I'm not going to do that.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 16th, 2016, 10:36 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
You Got Me Underrated

Ashigaru Harquebus. 4-1 at Gencon Main Event and a lot of people were surprised. They're cheap 4th. If it's a "terrible" unit I want to play it in a tournament. I have gone 2-2 with Roman Archers in a tournament.

~Dysole, who one time entered a Sudema and Dünd army in an event
Old April 17th, 2016, 02:00 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

My signature shows it all...my pick is definitely Sonlen!!

He's pricey at 160, but soooo versatile! I don't think there's another figure out there that can take 3 actions in one turn like he can, with the potential to seriously do some game changing.

It's not only that he looks sweet as a hooded figure with a mini dragon on his shoulder, but his ability to use all his abilities in one turn is unmatched in my opinion. Before you move him, he has the ability to heal himself OR friendly figures, and with a survivability of 6 life...he's looking pretty good, making him a worthy figure for multiplayer games as well as 1v1 games. Then, after moving and before attacking you have a special ability to inflict an instant wound on a figure (squad figure kills it, and good against high defense heroes), then after that you can still use a normal attack - which with a range of 6 and an attack of 4 - can be a pretty heavy hit. It's a risk at 160 points, but used correctly, he is a force to be reckoned with.

For example, my first game ever against @Tiranx I ran Sonlen, Stingers X2, Anubians X2, and Eldgrim vs. his Eltahale, Mezzodemons X5, and Guilty. It was evenly matched the whole way, But Sonlen proved to be a solid finisher. With Guilty and 3-4 Mezzodemons still left, and I had just Sonlen, Sonlen took care of them in about 2 turns, healing himself, insta-killing with the special and then using his heavy normal attack from elevation. A game to be remembered for generations! :P

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

DW9K. Really, the only thing that ticks me off about him is when I roll 0 or 1 skull on explosion. I have way too much fun with this guy, disengaging is hilarious when it works, and totally sucks when it doesn't. 9 defense is also a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Heck, Arrow Volley is the strongest ranged attack in the game attack-value-wise.
Nuh uh, DW9K has the strongest ranged attack value in the game. When he is in Taelord's aura, with Finn on his card, with his rats controlling astrid glyph, and height advantage, he attacks with 8 dice. That's why he's so OP, he has these great synergies.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; April 17th, 2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: dim to as string = "too"
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Both incorrect. The highest ranged attack value in the game, considering bonuses, is that of a Blastatron firing from height down on a Marro Hive, which is surrounded by Gladiatrons on ladders.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Not Syvarris knows what's in an order marker Not Syvarris knows what's in an order marker
Talking Re: Underrated Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Both incorrect. The highest ranged attack value in the game, considering bonuses, is that of a Blastatron firing from height down on a Marro Hive, which is surrounded by Gladiatrons on ladders.
marvelous!
Old April 17th, 2016, 04:00 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Okay, okay, by themselves it's the strongest! Details, details, -__-'

~TAF

Old April 18th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't know Roman Archers are really bad dude, their awkward special is mad hard to pull off. Their stats are just super bad, too. I really wish they made the SA also work with two archers to combine for 4-attack and have the third still be able to shoot. Maybe give them some kind of ability to shoot over stuff too? And better Roman synergy would help tremendously. I dunno, something else is needed to make their cost worth it. At 55pt. they're way weak; seems like they should be like 30pt. But, it's cool to hear someone has a heart for them! I can't remember the last time I played a game where they were on the table, a long time ago for sure.

I'm gonna go with Mimring, Tornak, and possibly Ornak. Mimring has just so much potential with his SA's properties alone, whether in an Arrow Grut build or not. Tornak gets a bad wrap because Grimnak exists, but I think he can do some cool stuff. And running both of them together is pretty strong. Ornak is a bit weird to fit in a Grut build, he probably goes better with blades than heavies. The red flag aura more works outside of a grut army, and those armies usually are too matchup dependent. But, just makes more options for him. Bottom line, I don't think anything in the Grut realm is all that 'bad'.

Also Tarns. Love me some Tarns, they're not bad for 50pt. imo.

I agree about the Harqs, they're wicked underrated. Forever in the shadows of the minutemen...

And I also think DW9K, as well as 8K (probably more so), aren't as bad as people say.

Last edited by Cleon; April 18th, 2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old April 18th, 2016, 04:35 PM

I agree with Tornak. As long as his 5 defense doesn't flop he's pretty strong and maneuverable. Not a good replacement for Grimnak in Grut builds, but he's still the next best thing IMO.

~TAF

Old April 26th, 2016, 10:17 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Warriors of Ashes might be my pick. With Raelin support they make a pretty affordable but effective screen.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Sacred Band for me - I honestly think they're better than Romans in the right army. Their defence may not go as high, and they may need an all disciplined army to be viable (much easier to pull off now than when they were released), but they're still only as expensive as the Romans and, with Marcus buffing their speed and a Disciplined Army buffing their defence, they have the notable advantage of not having to maintain formation the way the Romans do - they can just be played like cheaper, faster, more fragile knights.

Don't take Parmenio, though - he's just bad.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion