Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old March 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
I am not sure what software you use to create your sheet. But I set the resolution at the beginning before I started doing anything. Hopefully that helps you to create a high res version. To print to PDF, I use CutePDF. If it is necessary, I can help you to create the high res version of your sheet .

I think your sheet and mine serve different purposes. Mine should be used for quick reference after a new player has read, or being told by experience players, about the basic concepts. It is also small and two-sided, so people can carry it with them easily. It should not, and can not, be used to replaced the rule book. Your sheet gives much more details in how to proceed a round. If a new player has never played the game before, he still know what to do reading your sheet without anyone's help.

I think you should check around, especially with HeroscapeLunatic. I believe he has something similar to yours, but in even more details. Just to make sure that you are not doing what other people has done before .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
LongHeroscaper, would you be willing to add (in the movement section, perhaps) a note about heights in movement?

Many of my new players forget if you can, for example, move down your height (or less than or more than) without taking damage. (Seems like this rule actually changed in one of the revisions of the rules.) A quick note under your movement section about what counts as Falling and Extreme Falling would be a really helpful reminder. (You have a bit of extra space in the movement part of your card, but you might like it better somewhere else.)

Something like: "You may move down a height less than your height and only count this as a single space moved. However, if you move down a height greater than your height you must immediately roll one dice to determine if you take damage for the fall. If you move down a height 10 more than your figure's height you must 3 dice. If you more down 20 more than your height you only survive on a 19-20 on a d20." (You could omit the major or extreme fall, if space precludes it--it is just this kind of specific details that we sometimes forget and hate to interrupt a game to search down.)

You could also just make it in bullet form:
"You may move down a height less than your height"
"If you move down a height greater than your height you must immediately roll one dice of damage"
"Roll three dice for a height 10 greater than your height"

Thanks for creating an excellent reference card.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg
LongHeroscaper, would you be willing to add (in the movement section, perhaps) a note about heights in movement?

Many of my new players forget if you can, for example, move down your height (or less than or more than) without taking damage. (Seems like this rule actually changed in one of the revisions of the rules.) A quick note under your movement section about what counts as Falling and Extreme Falling would be a really helpful reminder. (You have a bit of extra space in the movement part of your card, but you might like it better somewhere else.)

Something like: "You may move down a height less than your height and only count this as a single space moved. However, if you move down a height greater than your height you must immediately roll one dice to determine if you take damage for the fall. If you move down a height 10 more than your figure's height you must 3 dice. If you more down 20 more than your height you only survive on a 19-20 on a d20." (You could omit the major or extreme fall, if space precludes it--it is just this kind of specific details that we sometimes forget and hate to interrupt a game to search down.)

You could also just make it in bullet form:
"You may move down a height less than your height"
"If you move down a height greater than your height you must immediately roll one dice of damage"
"Roll three dice for a height 10 greater than your height"

Thanks for creating an excellent reference card.
Thanks for your feedback. I am updating the card and already have plan to include the note about not be able to move up higher than the figure's height and take falling damage for moving down. But I did not know that you need to roll 3 dice when moving down 10 levels or more! I will check that fact again. That is definitely new to me .

Thanks again 1Mmirg!

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Excellent. I look forward to your update. (I am always forgetting which things are equal to height, which are just less than, and which are greater than--so any little card that I can leave on my HS table that has these quick facts is welcome!)

That makes me wonder, did your card mention the height restrictions on engagement (I don't recall what you had--and I'm always double checking if it is height equal to or greater than that makes you no longer engaged).

Anyhow, either way--I appreciate your card--nicely done and a great resource!
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Re: Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners

I have updated my card with the restriction on movement and a bit more information on Lava terrains. I wish I could add more information, but I want to keep the card size small, and also do not want to put too much information in. Hopefully I have stroke the balance between the needed quick information for new players and the convenience of using the card.
I want to add a background for the card but have not found out how to do it yet. Hopefully I can do that when the Jungle comes out, because I think I have to add the jungle tree into the list of terrain on the card .
Many thanks to everyone who made comments and suggestions to improve the card. They are always welcome and desired here!

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Adrian Monk

Thanks for the update. We have a game coming up next Saturday and I'm not sure about some of the newer players showing up (never met them; don't know how much they know)--anyhow, I will definitely be making some of these up for the game day!

Again, thanks!
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
I want to add a background for the card but have not found out how to do it yet. Hopefully I can do that when the Jungle comes out, because I think I have to add the jungle tree into the list of terrain on the card .
What graphics program did you use to create the card in?

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Thanks for the update. We have a game coming up next Saturday and I'm not sure about some of the newer players showing up (never met them; don't know how much they know)--anyhow, I will definitely be making some of these up for the game day!

Again, thanks!
We were blessed to have some of these at our first tournament last Saturday, provided by the author himself!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am just now seeing this thread for the first time. Wow! What an awesome job. Cheers to the Arkansas contingent proving that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

An excellent idea. I'm going to use it to help my dad get in a game. When I first played with him back in 05 the game was very slow. He said it was a too slow paced game and hasn't played ever since.

(Then again he probably just wanted me to have a longer attention span to my toys.)

Now that I'm a seasone player, I am going to spread the word. If he likes it it will be closer to getting a second masterset. I want SoTM. Don't have it... yet.

The cards will help keep the game fast and easy for him.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...

Last edited by Elf_Archer; June 5th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM

win chiu woo Woo who?

Wow thank a lot!

Aquilla Ownz
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Didn't LongHeroscaper do a great job? I just can't wait until he gets back into the country so we can resume playing crazy games.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion