Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old May 8th, 2015, 11:33 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Book of 20th Maine Volunteers

The Book of 20th Maine Volunteers

C3V Wave 6 (Wave 19) - Crevcor's Commission - Warriors of Elswind Forest

PDF Download

The figures used for this unit are Scenearama figures from the American Civil War Scene Setters set.

Character Bio: "This is the left of the Union line. You are to hold this ground at all costs!"

This was the last order given to the 20th Maine Volunteer Regiment on the day of July 2nd, 1863. Little Round Top was saved, and Gettysburg won. But victory comes at great cost, for these men were not given the freedom of death. These men shall fight a different war, defending a different flank, and their opponents shall realize all too late that the 20th Maine does not fall easily.

Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Hold Ground
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker on any 20th Maine Volunteers army card you control, all 20th Maine Volunteers you control add 2 to their defense dice.

Downhill Attack
A 20th Maine Volunteer with a height advantage on an adjacent opponent's figure rolls an additional attack die when attacking that figure.

- TBD

Synergy Benefits Received
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS: Soldier Leadership
    As soldiers, 20th Maine Volunteers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS: Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As soldiers, 20th Maine Volunteers may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT
  • CAPT. JOHN VARAN: Purple Heart
    As Humans that follows Jandar, 20th Maine Volunteers may benefit from Capt. John Varan's PURPLE HEART ability.
  • SIR GILBERT: Jandar's Dispatch
    As a Squad that follows Jandar, 20th Maine Volunteers figures may benefit from Sir Gilbert's JANDAR'S DISPATCH movement bonus.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • SIR ORRICK : A Brother's Call
    As Humans who follows Jandar, if engaged, 20th Maine Volunteers may aid Sir Orrick's movement with his A BROTHER'S CALL ability.

Power Ranking and Master Index
They’re a common ranged squad… but using their defensive power makes it harder to leverage their common-ness, and using their offensive power makes it harder to leverage their range-ness. B-

Unit Strategy Review
- TBD

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by superfrog; January 18th, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:53 AM

Seb from space knows what's in an order marker Seb from space knows what's in an order marker Seb from space knows what's in an order marker
Re: Book of 20th Maine Volunteers

Don't forget John Varan's synergy in this book. ;o)
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:09 PM

Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Book of 20th Maine Volunteers

They also benefit from Sir Gilbert's Jandar's Dispatch.

Search for any Heroscape cards and create armies.
Create, save and search your own custom cards.
Check out HACCS (Heroscape Army Creator and Card Searcher)!
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of 20th Maine Volunteers

Just asking for a clarification:
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker on any 20th Maine Volunteers army card you control...

That does mean one unrevealed OM on ALL 20MV cards collectively, right?

Alternate interpretation: That 20MV card right there has only one unrevealed OM (the X) - all my other markers are on my other 20MV card - so I get the +2 defense through the whole round.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old May 16th, 2015, 01:33 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
Just asking for a clarification:
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker on any 20th Maine Volunteers army card you control...

That does mean one unrevealed OM on ALL 20MV cards collectively, right?

Alternate interpretation: That 20MV card right there has only one unrevealed OM (the X) - all my other markers are on my other 20MV card - so I get the +2 defense through the whole round.

~Z
It means collectively--your former interpretation.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Yup. 1 OM for all of your 20th Maines nets the boost. 2 or more OMs split up between cards won't grant the defense boost.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

The wording on the second ability sounds sloppy to me. Why not stick to the Microcorp Sighting wording while adding "adjacent figure"?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
The wording on the second ability sounds sloppy to me. Why not stick to the Microcorp Sighting wording while adding "adjacent figure"?

Old May 18th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

It's really bugging me that, as written, HOLD GROUND works if you have any one copy of the card with a single unrevealed marker on that card, regardless of what's on the other clones of the card. The intent was to count the markers on all associated cards, but in this context (especially with the noun in the singular), the "any" that was used actually communicates the opposite of "all" ... it is short for "any one."

Here's one way to align the text with the design intent:
HOLD GROUND
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker among all 20th Maine Volunteers Army Cards you control, all 20th Maine Volunteers you control add 2 to their defense dice.
"Among" is a good tool for this job, but I expect that some may dislike it; so here's another option for consideration:
HOLD GROUND
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker on the 20th Maine Volunteers Army Card(s) you control, all 20th Maine Volunteers you control add 2 to their defense dice.
I also expect that some will complain about the parentheses, but this is a situation where they are appropriate, and Hasbro already did it on Tul-Bak-Ra (three times, in fact).

If you really want to follow the "Dünd standard" (but please don't!), it might go something like this:
HOLD GROUND
If there is only one unrevealed Order Marker on the 20th Maine Volunteers' army card (or cards if you have more than one common card for those figures) you control, all 20th Maine Volunteers you control add 2 to their defense dice.
Whatever wording you go with, the reference to the card title should be corrected in the card image and PDF (the OP is already correct). Heroscape convention allows toggling between singular and plural when talking about figures, but when referring to the army card itself the title should be exact. (There is no such army card as 20th Maine Volunteer.)

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; May 18th, 2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: adding the Dünd Standard
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:09 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
It's really bugging me that, as written, HOLD GROUND works if you have any one copy of the card with a single unrevealed marker on that card, regardless of what's on the other clones of the card. The intent was to count the markers on all associated cards, but in this context (especially with the noun in the singular), the "any" that was used actually communicates the opposite of "all" ... it is short for "any one."
That is not how it works as written.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
That is not how it works as written.
If you want to refute me, please do (I have no problem being corrected). But a simple "no it doesn't" is of no value in the dialog without some explanation or point behind it. We can go "no it doesn't" / "yes it does" all day long and accomplish nothing.

The wording is awkward at best and miscommunicates the opposite of its intent at worst. I've offered for consideration three constructive alternatives to support the design intent. Somebody else may have a better recast than my attempts, and I welcome that. Regardless, why can't we address issues like these constructively?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'd have to say, As someone who often has a few friends over to play scape every blue moon or so, it is nice to clear up any confusion. I admit when I first read the card I thought it was funny wording that would allow some sketchy play with multiple cards, but then I recalled how heroscape is played and knew that was not the designers intent.

That said I have thousands of figures and hundreds of army cards, I'm a scape Expert at this point (as is everyone else on this site). I would rather not have to explain to my friends" "I know it says that, but that is not the way we play".

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs