Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old January 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Man, markwars. Losing weight, quitting smoking...is there anything you can't do?
We'll see. My next priority is getting my finances in order.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Man, markwars. Losing weight, quitting smoking...is there anything you can't do?
We'll see. My next priority is getting my finances in order.
I can't help you with that. No millions for me yet.

Yet.
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well get crackin'!

Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the kind words.

You are right. It's very very very simple, but it does require a lot of discipline to drop the pounds quickly. Six months ago when I started I asked my good friend Velenne - that's his Scapers name anyway - (who just happens to be a trainer) to help me tailor an exercise plan to my want list. Here's what I told him I wanted:

Light cardio
Light strength training
no gym
no equipment
just me, gravity, and my floor/walls

Here's how he started me out:

30 minute leisurely walk three times a week for the cardio
Three sets of this routine: 12 wall push ups, 12 body squats, 12 crunches

After about two weeks of that I began ramping it up incrementally. These days I am addicted to it. I haven't missed my morning cardio in over five months - and that's outside at 5am in whatever weather the world wants to throw at me. My strength training now consists of five sets of this routine: 30 lunge steps, 30 crunches, 20 body squats, 15 push-ups. And I work in some resistance band training for my arms when I am in the mood for it (about three times a week).

I am not looking to become a pile of muscle. I want to have a lean body with a lot of stamina, flexibility, and fluidity of motion. Do you have any recommendations for that? I'm now 12 pounds from the goal weight of 193 pounds that my doctor set for me (I'm 6'2"), so I'm looking for simple routines that will help me maintain - not bulk up.

--------------------

And Mr. Barkypants you are right. It's high time gamers broke the mold of doughy basement denizens. It's one thing to be a geek, it's another to be unhealthy

Sure. I've got some routines you can try out, I am a huge fan of body resistance and ballistic training. Weights have their place, but if you bench 350 pounds, and still can't carry your suitcase from the plane to the car without getting winded, you're not getting the results you need. PM as sometimes I need specifics you may not want people knowing about.

On a personal note, just a routine disclaimer from me that the advice is free, and you do any routines at your own risks.

That said, feel free to drop me a line anytime.

My goal is a world of muscled, trained geeks who dominate the food chain once and for all.

GRIN.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Cross fit... 2-3 of my workouts a week are of that type.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
I started working out, its fun. I really like it.

My Signature
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire
I started working out, its fun. I really like it.
It is fun. You should keep up the good work!

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM

justin has disabled reputation
If you were like me loosing weight wouldn't be too high priority.

Personally I can lift/bench max 60lbs.

I read somewhere that humans only use their muscles at about 1% of actual strength (I think, I read it a while back so I can't remember all the details). It also said that accessing your full muscular potential could and probably would destroy your muscles.

A totally different source said that humans can only access 10% of their brains on average. 15% is the most that has been accessed. 20% borders on telepathy. 25% would have Telikinesis. 30% and you would probably be able to recite all the collective knowledge of anybody who ever lived. If anybody could access full mental potential they would be vaporized by their knowledge. God is the only one with full access to the brain/mind.

Anyway I'm going to vanish from this thread for awhile.

I have wings and wicked awesome Counterstrike.

Trust me on this, I am INSANE

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I read somewhere that humans only use their muscles at about 1% of actual strength (I think, I read it a while back so I can't remember all the details). It also said that accessing your full muscular potential could and probably would destroy your muscles.
I don't think it is only 1%, but even highly trained lifters don't use all of the muscle. I think it has more to do with the way muscle fibers work. I kind of think of it like a centipede. If all the legs on a centipede moved simultaneously the thing would lurch forward in small jumps. The overall movement wouldn't be smooth at all.

As far as destroying muscles, the increase in strength is basically caused by damaging the muscle with the overload caused by the weight lifted. The muscles heal stronger. If a lifter was working out his biceps, for example, using 100% of the muscle, any training effect would also basically leave you without the use of his arm for a couple days. He wouldn't be able to perform any significant forearm flexion, or anything closely resembling it.

I remember hearing about some guy about a decade ago that would basically train lifters to use more of the muscles. It ended up doubling 1 rep max lifts.
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
I...have never heared that....

My Signature
Old September 6th, 2020, 01:58 AM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker
Re: Weight Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUNAK View Post
The main three lifts I do (thanks to weights wich just ended ) I do
1:Squats
2:Benchpress
3:Power Cleans
Aw sweet innocent 13 year old BRUNAK... I did three exercises...

Just got home from the gym so what a great time to revive this thread!

On the "Big 3" my PR's are

Squats 375 x3
Deadlifts 455
Bench Press was 425 (single ply) at 161 pounds when I was competing, good for I think 13th in the nation at the time?
Old September 6th, 2020, 08:21 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Weight Training

Dang, you are a beast.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General