Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:36 AM

ghosthellz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
New to heroscape

Hello all..... im very new to the heroscape world and wanted to say hi...

I recently picked up swarm of the marro master set with fortress of the archkyrie... I was wondering do i need to purchase more characters or are the ones provided sufficent? also i have no idea how or where on the marro map to set up the fortress? im overwhelmed.... should i pick up two master marro sets does it show how to join them or can i do that anyway i want? thanks for any hlp
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:09 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: New to heroscape

Hello new comer! I suggest keeping it simple if these are your first few games, follow the map instructions in the back of your rule book. If you are feeling adventurous though, you could build your own map! One of the best parts of Heroscape is that all of the tiles interlock on any of the six sides (even between all expansions), making map possibilities limitless.

Many people would recommend picking up a Rise of the Valkyrie master set to go along with your Swarm of the Marro (but it is not needed). Buying extra sets is fun, but a master set is a game in a box, meaning you can open it and begin playing with nothing else. (No extra purchases required to play.)

The castle set has many little pieces, but is nothing to worry to much about. I'll admit that crossing sets while following the build directions can be a bit confusing, so its safe to assume that this game rewards the adventurous.

Some things about the site:
You can find everything about official units by following this link to the "Book of the Books". It has a link to every official unit's page where people ask rules questions, or post opinions on that unit.

The community asks that all members use complete sentences, spell check, and the search function (before making a new thread). (Though we forgive mistakes often.) You'll see very quickly that jokes are in fact allowed (when appropriate).

Most of all... Have fun playing Heroscape! (or else )

~GreenLanturn

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey a very warm welcome to you ghosthellz. First of all your going to need alot of storage space. Those 4 foot high wheeled plastic filing cabinets work great. Next, get used to and love the taste of Ramen noodle soup. Your going to be eating alot of Ramen noodle soup for the next few years. Your going to be needing all that money your would normally spend on things like food and gas. Finally, if you have a girlfriend, better let her go now. Your new love is Raelin the Kyrie Warrior.

Seriously though, there is alot of great advice around here. For the two questions you asked now though:
1: To start with, you NEED to get the Rise of the Valkyrie master set. You can usually find it for around $30-35 (USD) online, probably $35-45 canadian. It is by far the superior master set and if you were happy with what you got from the Marro set, your going to love this one. Next I would get the Jungle set (it comes with spiders) it adds alot of flavor and balance to the game. Finally, depending on how far you want to go with it, get some packs of unique figures. They will either be in large packs or in small ones with a tan background on them. The common packs have a blue background. If you don't really want to go too far into the spending, avoid the commons, they require a minimum of two packs of identical figures in order to be useful. Two themes that work really well using only unique fiques are the Samuri's and Elves. You may have a hard time finding Samuri's, but with just two purchases you can have almost every elven wizard available and a fairly tournament worthy army. Of course The best armys usually include common figures, and lots of them.

Hope thats helpful for now. I'm sure someone here will post some links for must reads really soon. I would suggest spending about 3 or 4 hours just reading the stuff people have posted before even bothering to ask any more questions. Nearly everything you could think of to ask has probably been asked many times.

Finally, you can set the maps up however you want, withing some very minor restrictions. It's your game and it has millions of ways to be set up.

edit- just wanted to add. That castle set you bought is the most complacated expansion ever released for heroscape. None of the others come even close. If your able to understand the rules for the castle then you have nothing to worry about. If you can't understand it, then just put it away for awhile and add it in a few months when your more used to the game. Id also say that the castle set is the least needed expansion.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Drives for Utgar

Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby!

Hi new guy, this site will answer just about anything and everything you can think of about Heroscape. In the forums is a map thread many of us take photos of our maps or make them in VR, you'll see what I mean when you go their, the maps will give you a good idea on what you can do with a Heroscape map, take some time and look at the 1st and 2nd pages it will blow your mind what you can do with a few sets and enough time and room. Ps Best place to buy Heroscape is from **** Housemousegames.com **** Sandra has the best prices and wave 9 is on sale for a really good price and she gets it to you really fast, I got my wave 8 two days after it came out. Cheak it out plus you can find some great deals on Ebay. You are comming in at a great time lot of great things to pick from.

I would rather bite the belly of the beast as it swallows me whole then run from it!

Last edited by Rogue A$$asSIN; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Wave has a V in it somewhere.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Welcome to the site! To prevent getting yelled at by some of the other members on this site(Myself included), follow these three handy tips:

1: Use the SEARCH FUNCTION(Not saying that you needed to do that here, but in the future)

2: Use SPELL CHECK. I even have to abide by this one constantly.

3: Use the SHIFT KEY.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

To clarify what lafleurhero said: He said that you NEED to get the 1st master set. You are not required to get this in order to play the game at all, but it is much better to have that set if you plan to play the game. This is because it comes with more terrain, as well as an excellent variety of units from which to choose.

Also, when he said that two packs of a common unit are required in order to be useful, that is again not accurate, at least as far as the rules go. I think that what he meant is that many of the common units work better when you have more sets of them. There is nothing to prevent you from only playing with one set of any common unit.

That said, welcome to the site and above all else, have fun!

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM

releasethedogs is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If the OP wants to get the 1st Master Set coolstuffinc.com has it for 25.00 bucks!!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthellz View Post
Hello all..... im very new to the heroscape world and wanted to say hi...

I recently picked up swarm of the marro master set with fortress of the archkyrie... I was wondering do i need to purchase more characters or are the ones provided sufficent? also i have no idea how or where on the marro map to set up the fortress? im overwhelmed.... should i pick up two master marro sets does it show how to join them or can i do that anyway i want? thanks for any hlp
Welcome. If you are feeling overwhelmed, I would recommend that you simply play through some of the scenarios found in the Swarm of the Marro set, without worrying about the castle just yet.

Depending on your background with these kinds of games, you may even want to play one of the "basic" games first, just to get your feet wet. Otherwise, simply jump right into the "master rules", which I think you'll find to be much more rewarding.

Although I agree that the Rise of the Valkyrie (RotV) master set would be a great next purchase for you, the Swarm of the Marro (SotM) master set has all you need to begin to get a good grasp of the game. Then you can move on to the castle scenarios, since you have that expansion. Just be aware that the castle set came out before SotM, so it assumes that you have the RotV set. This means you may be a few terrain pieces short for some of the maps, and you will have swamp land instead of all the green grass, and maybe swamp water instead of blue. This will have minimal or no impact on actual game play.

After that, you can create any kind of map you'd like. For many of us, map building is almost as much fun as playing the game itself.

Enjoy!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM

500points Woo who?

Hey Guys,
I was thinking about the issue i first faced when i started to play Heroscape, I did not know what to get. I think that it would be helpful to both new and old players if we created a rating system for the master sets, terrian sets, large figure packs, and the waves.
We could rate the different components of the sets and give a brief desciption of how it the figures in the pack plays, how the terrian contributes to the game, how much the pack would be of worth to a new player and how much fun it is to play compared to other sets. The closest thing that I think is like this is the books or the power ratings, but they only tell about units and how the do competitively.
I would try to make something like this but I am short on time and I do not think that I could spearhead a project like this. Please get back to me about what you think about this.

< Click me Please

Last edited by 500points; June 2nd, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I agree with everyone that is saying that you have plenty to have fun with at the moment, but that more stuff means more fun as you get into the game.

If you're a bit wary of creating maps yourself but want to use some of the castle pieces, you could give Embattled Fen by Gamebear a try (choose a point value in the 400-600pt range and draft two opposing armies and fight to the death). It's in the "Battlefields of Valhalla"---a repository of the best tournament maps as judged by select members of this community.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500points View Post
Hey Guys,
I was thinking about the issue i first faced when i started to play Heroscape, I did not know what to get. I think that it would be helpful to both new and old players if we created a rating system for the master sets, terrian sets, large figure packs, and the waves.
We could rate the different components of the sets and give a brief desciption of how it the figures in the pack plays, how the terrian contributes to the game, how much the pack would be of worth to a new player and how much fun it is to play compared to other sets. The closest thing that I think is like this is the books or the power ratings, but they only tell about units and how the do competitively.
I would try to make something like this but I am short on time and I do not think that I could spearhead a project like this. Please get back to me about what you think about this.
It's been done before. Here are a couple of threads addressing what you are looking for. They are a bit out of date, but that is the problem with a project like what you are describing.

What Should You Get? The Waves Ranked
and
Optimizing your collection: "What should I buy next?"
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM

500points Woo who?

Thanks Cav these are exactaly like I thought the project would look like but I was thinking that it would work more like the books.

< Click me Please

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion