Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old August 13th, 2021, 07:43 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Smile Re: C3V/SoV 3D Printable Proxies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Would it be beneficial if I made an index of 3D files so people don't have to go looking through this long thread or searching thingiverse? It would need to be a new thread. Files with proxy files would be labeled as such and linked to aswell.
That sounds like a great idea and I believe it is time.

As White Knight mentioned, I’ll be sending him most of the remaining figures hopefully. I’m getting together everything but a handful of rare hard to finds at the moment. But any other scans done in the meantime will help cut down on what needs to be done of course.

The only figures I believe I won’t have to send are:
Edit: Kon tar na, Microcorp Troopers, Red Mantis Blade dancers, both Tomb Skeletons and Both Ants

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; August 14th, 2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old August 13th, 2021, 09:04 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: C3V/SoV 3D Printable Proxies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Quote:
Would it be beneficial if I made an index of 3D files so people don't have to go looking through this long thread or searching thingiverse? It would need to be a new thread. Files with proxy files would be labeled as such and linked to aswell.

As White Knight mentioned, I’ll be sending him most of the remaining figures hopefully. I’m getting together everything but a handful of rare hard to finds at the moment. But any other scans done in the meantime will help cut down on what needs to be done of course.

Kon tar na, Microcorp Troopers, Quorik Warwitch, Red Mantis Blade dancers,
Tomb skeletons and the Varja
The Index thread is up. It's impressive how much work has been done already. All credit to the guys who post the files, all I did was post a list. I wanted everyone to see all the hard work you all are doing.
Old August 13th, 2021, 11:23 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Post Re: C3V/SoV 3D Printable Proxies

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Index thread is up. It's impressive how much work has been done already. All credit to the guys who post the files, all I did was post a list. I wanted everyone to see all the hard work you all are doing.
Great work!
As for a few proxies, Clawfoot Interceptor and Red Mantis for example which are modeled more closely. When the time comes for replacing links, perhaps they might be nice to include somewhere in the index for their high resolution having been made in software.

And I personally quite enjoy the Red ants proxies and think the Xualtiaca ant proxies looks better.
Old August 13th, 2021, 11:52 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great work!
As for a few proxies, Clawfoot Interceptor and Red Mantis for example which are modeled more closely. When the time comes for replacing links, perhaps they might be nice to include somewhere in the index for their high resolution having been made in software.

And I personally quite enjoy the Red ants proxies and think the Xualtiaca ant proxies looks better.
The only thing with the Red Mantis Blade Dancer proxies is they print best with FDM printers. We learned this when I started to print mine. My printer is a resin printer, the Photon Mono by Anycubic, and the minis were designed originally by someone who was printing them on an FDM printer. The swords were thin enough that the resin made the swords very, very thin and flimsy. I ended up having to drip super-glue over the length of the swords on both sides to thicken them up and make them rigid.

I had the same issue with the proxies for the Honor Guard of the Blasted Lands. Just removing the figures from the print bed could snap the weapons they were holding in half. The final figure I needed from them was one of the ones holding the arced lance vertically. I swear I printed is 6 or 7 times before I managed to get it printed correctly.

The best advice I can give if you are printing these figures on a resin printer is to upscale them by about 0.15%. The size difference is barely noticeable and the thickness added to their weapons will make your life easier. You should take into account I already was having to scale them down to 3.94% of their original size to fit on my print bed because my software (Prusa-Slicer) used millimeters instead of inches.
Old August 14th, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great work!

The only thing with the Red Mantis Blade Dancer proxies is they print best with FDM printers. We learned this when I started to print mine. My printer is a resin printer, the Photon Mono by Anycubic, and the minis were designed originally by someone who was printing them on an FDM printer. The swords were thin enough that the resin made the swords very, very thin and flimsy. I ended up having to drip super-glue over the length of the swords on both sides to thicken them up and make them rigid.

I had the same issue with the proxies for the Honor Guard of the Blasted Lands. Just removing the figures from the print bed could snap the weapons they were holding in half. The final figure I needed from them was one of the ones holding the arced lance vertically. I swear I printed is 6 or 7 times before I managed to get it printed correctly.

The best advice I can give if you are printing these figures on a resin printer is to upscale them by about 0.15%. The size difference is barely noticeable and the thickness added to their weapons will make your life easier. You should take into account I already was having to scale them down to 3.94% of their original size to fit on my print bed because my software (Prusa-Slicer) used millimeters instead of inches.
That’s right, I forget about running into these issues. Funny enough, I ran into the opposite problem. With the Pla ants, most of the legs didn’t print well, antennae broke easy and couldn’t for the life of me print anything thin like the swords and handles. Resin prints have given me 99% success with few errors being from lack of support in some spot. I have yet to figure out how to consistently print resin bases without warp. Especially the large bases are nice to FDM print saving also cost of resin.
Old August 14th, 2021, 12:58 AM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

So with bases I print them standing vertically with supports lining the bottom edges. Doing this I have been able to print double space bases pretty successfully. I just got a full size professional vinyl cutter/plotter at a garage sale for free a couple weeks back. It was free because it is missing a couple parts. Once I get it fixed I will be able to print and cut the stickers for double space bases. No one I know of has been able to make real stickers for double spacers yet so I'm hoping to be able to provide pre-cut stickers for double space bases that I have 3D printed. In the past the stickers provided have been non stick ones you had to glue down yourself. I just gotta get this thing running again. The cutter I found is the US Cutter MH 871-MK2.
Old August 14th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
So with bases I print them standing vertically with supports lining the bottom edges. Doing this I have been able to print double space bases pretty successfully. I just got a full size professional vinyl cutter/plotter at a garage sale for free a couple weeks back. It was free because it is missing a couple parts. Once I get it fixed I will be able to print and cut the stickers for double space bases. No one I know of has been able to make real stickers for double spacers yet so I'm hoping to be able to provide pre-cut stickers for double space bases that I have 3D printed. In the past the stickers provided have been non stick ones you had to glue down yourself. I just gotta get this thing running again. The cutter I found is the US Cutter MH 871-MK2.
I had no idea such machine exists. I print out single and double, cut them out with scissors and dab paint on the sides to hide the white edge. I’ve tried the vertical printing with decent success, but when doing 10-15+ at a time, usually a lot of them have a slight warped hung edge on the opposite side of the supports making them not perfectly round. And also have to sand away support bumps, which isn’t actually much issue once paints added.
Old August 15th, 2021, 09:35 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great work!

In making the proxy models I've more thought through matching size of originals than anything else. D&D and Star Wars miniatures tend to be a bit smaller and thinner so matching that was important to me. Printing them on my FDM is all I have to test prints right now but I get what you're saying about resin. Thickening up the models in specific places wouldn't be too hard to do via Blender which is what I would recommend.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old August 15th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I print peanut stickers on vinyl sticker paper. The problem is that they need to be cut out by hand
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:59 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

I just realized we have scanned all the Varkaanans except the Blade Dancers. That's an odd occurrence.
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
I just realized we have scanned all the Varkaanans except the Blade Dancers. That's an odd occurrence.
The reason is because I own the Blade Dancers so I didn't need anyone to send them.

I've scanned one of the figures--I just need to scan the others.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 12:27 AM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
The reason is because I own the Blade Dancers so I didn't need anyone to send them.

I've scanned one of the figures--I just need to scan the others.
I think I saw that, I might go ahead and just print the 5 of that Blade Dancer I'm gonna need and get it painted for now and use proxies for the other two from the squad. They're a great unit and getting one of the models printed/painted and out of the way will save me some time later. Or was that scan one of the early scans we couldn't use?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing