Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan
Just throwing in my two cents about Hot Bog:
Are there any lava maps that are not a hindrance to the Romans?
I didn't test the Romans, but the flatness of Fire Isles would lead me to say that it'd be lego-friendly. My swogs and arrow gruts were able to use their adjacency bonuses just fine.

I'm still pondering Hot Bog.

Edit: I opened it up and took a closer look. I vote Yes to review; it still seems pretty intriguing. I'll keep Dignan's concerns in mind though, and probably try to get at least one game in with Roman Legionnaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
For Fire Isles, it isn't so much the flatness, (though that certainly helps) as it is the size. That thing is pretty small. I played some games on it last night. The knights rocked the house on it, becasue they were able to actually get somewhere in the first round. (without Gilbert)

Update coming......

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan

Thanks for the cents! I never seemed to run into this problem, so my questions would be:

Are there any lava maps that are not a hindrance to the Romans?
Well, out of the BoV, Ember Canyon Road doesn't hinder the Romans, but Hot Heights can be problematic. There are maps out there that use lava and allow armies with adjacency bonuses to function. But your point is taken.

Quote:
Would that Q10-Stinger combo have beaten a melee-heavy team on most maps?
Well, the army faired well enough against other ranged armies at the tournament. And it did take out a Q9, MW, AE army (which is comparable - sort of). Most maps do favor range and therefore, most maps will find ranged armies beating melee armies. Personally, I try to create maps that level the playing field, but getting the right balance is quite a challenge.

There is nothing wrong with having a "range" dominant map in the BoV or a tournament. That's up to the judges and the tournament organizers. I was just offering commentary from a "pro-melee" player.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
As much as I love using the asphalt with the lava rock tiles, and though this map has tournament moxie, I don't feel Hot Bog is strong enough for the BoV. I'm voting no to review it.

On a mostly unrelated note, I'd like to reiterate to those who frequent this thread that the standard we're trying to create with the BoV is a very high one because it must be a foolproof source for TD's to select maps they know will facilitate a good event. There are over a thousand maps in the Downloads section right now, but only ten in the Battlefields of Valhalla. That's 1%.

About 50 maps have been submitted for review, making the success rate about 1 in 5 among those maps folks have either directly purposed for the BoV (something we discourage) or maps already deemed tournament-worthy that players have felt were exceptional.

This isn't to say we're shooting for some percentage or anything, but to remind everyone that the qualifications are fairly steep and that just because a map isn't accepted for review or admittance doesn't mean the map isn't good or even tournament-unworthy. It's just not "Top 1%". Keep your eyes open at your next tournament for those rare maps that rise above the rest and if you find one, nominate it!
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It's cool that you have "BoV Judge" tags now.
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12
It's cool that you have "BoV Judge" tags now.
Yes, nice touch!
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
The "BoV Judge" tag is SOOOO cool! It is awesome!!

Will there be "BoV map builder" tag?

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I really like the Tag too. I love and appreciate what you judges do.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker
Maps pending review:

Baraxton Falls 2.0 by Sir Pongo/Krackon_02

The three glyph locations are what scream to me on this map. The red starting zone has much easier access to the two lower glyphs, while the blue starting zone has only marginally easier access to the high glyph. In fact, the bottom glyph can be reached on turn one from the red starting zone by flying (4 spaces) or walking (6 spaces). Compare that to the blue zone, which must fly 8 spaces or walk 10 spaces to the same glyph. The topmost glyph is on one of the highest portions of the map - higher than any other real estate within 8 spaces. Unfortunately, my vote is no to further review.

Hopscorch by Elstree

I like the look of Marvel and VW together, and I'm glad to see a submission which provides an alternative to using RotV. However, I have many of the same concerns with this map as those cited by Ry and V. Even if it plays much differently than my initial impressions suggest, I'm not convinced this map is innovative enough to be included in the BoV. Sadly, my vote is no.
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Yes, the BoV judge tag is awesome! Whoever did that deserves a really big cookie!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Darkomen57 has disabled reputation
Ok, thank you to everyone who took time to look at The Crossing. When I played it, it seemed to be good, but after seeing what other people had to say, I see their points. There were some pretty major flaws which I will try to think about on future maps. Thanks again.

Bitefight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido
...good grammar will get you far on this site. (at least a lot farther than the reverse).
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrma
Hopscorch by Elstree

I like the look of Marvel and VW together, and I'm glad to see a submission which provides an alternative to using RotV. However, I have many of the same concerns with this map as those cited by Ry and V. Even if it plays much differently than my initial impressions suggest, I'm not convinced this map is innovative enough to be included in the BoV. Sadly, my vote is no.
Thanks, guys, for giving it a look. I hope you'll give it a play sometime just for your own amusement. I think there's a lot going on that you can't see just by looking at the image, but of course everybody says that!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios