Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: How DnD screwed up Heroscape

I've had a pretty good life so far. I have much bigger regrets now, but for that part of my life I don't have many big regrets.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by capsocrates; October 2nd, 2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Maybe I used a *little* hyperbole
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:57 PM

Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker

Most players have to admit we were happy with what we received. I hate that we didn't get more but I am happy I played and keep playing with what was made. Plus the repurpose of other miniatures keep me playing too.

You shall not pass!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I've had a pretty good life so far. I have much bigger regrets now, but for that part of my life I don't have many big regrets.
Do you honestly have no regrets, for instance, about the beard?

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 2nd, 2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: /drops mic
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:52 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:29 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I think if the price of the boosters was kept at or below the $10 mark, it would have sold more. Perhaps for the common units they could have done half boxes with 1 squad each for $5.

I sincerely doubt it was the cost of plastic that made Heroscape boosters expensive. After all, I can still go to the dollar store and buy a bag of plastic army men for a dollar. Most of the cost likely went into the design and manufacturing process, like the moulds and however in the hell they painted them. The elaborate packaging also.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I can't think of another game (or toy) for which you would buy a comparably sized pack of pre-painted minis at that price point. The D&D / Pathfinder packs I see that size have half as many minis. Even if I could, it's the terrain packs where you find 99% of the plastic. Not the minis.

This thread is tiresome, anyway, because correlation does not imply causation. Some of my favorite units in the game came out during the D&D waves, and the D&D waves brought us Valkrill, who was overdue. D&D didn't "ruin" Heroscape, it was just one of the chapters of the book. There were chapters before, there have been chapters since.

And I liked that one.

edit:

Graphs explaining the relationship between correlation and causation:
Spoiler Alert!

= =
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:14 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't think of another game (or toy) for which you would buy a comparably sized pack of pre-painted minis at that price point. The D&D / Pathfinder packs I see that size have half as many minis. Even if I could, it's the terrain packs where you find 99% of the plastic. Not the minis.

This thread is tiresome, anyway, because correlation does not imply causation. Some of my favorite units in the game came out during the D&D waves, and the D&D waves brought us Valkrill, who was overdue. D&D didn't "ruin" Heroscape, it was just one of the chapters of the book. There were chapters before, there have been chapters since.

And I liked that one.
@Dad_Scaper , you are on a roll this morning.

I am with you on this. You only have to look as far as your battle reports to figure out you like the D&D waves. Besides, we know nothing can screw up Heroscape.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Yes, but you have to remember that while Heroscape was inexpensive for a miniatures game, it was expensive for a toy, which is how parents would view it. Since it was pushed more as a big box store game and less of a (F)LGS game, it had to deal with the toy perception. You try getting parents to buy 5-7 miniatures for their kid at like $12 - $14 and they're going to be a lot more reluctant than if they were $10 or $5 for a half booster. Also, having to pay $20~ for two boosters is much easier to stomach than $25 - $28.

I think D&D did sort of ruin Heroscape. Many of the units don't fit in aesthetically with vanilla scape and they're all fantasy themed, which turned me away from buying any D&D scape at the time. But any scape was better than no scape.

I meant my my previous post in this thread for the, "Why did Heroscape fail as a retail product?" thread. Since this is a similar let's complain about Heroscape thread, it kind of blurred into one thread. >_<

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:24 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

If I were a wizard living on the coast, I would have released Heroscape cards for my existing miniature lines. As downloadable or print on demand or something. That would drive sales of D&D figures at very little cost to them. Heck, they could have had cross-licensing deals with other miniature makers to make cards for their figures. (Essentially, doing the work of C3V, only they would have been able to keep the game going and make some profit off it.)
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM

I had no problem with unifying 'Scape under the fantasy banner. Others did not as well. Often, the simplest explanation (the cost of plastic was too high, bearing in mind the @#$%ton of plastic involved in creating *terrain*) is the best.

= =
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

D&D figures fit just fine aesthetically in my opinion. Line them up on the shelf without telling someone which were which and I think most people at first glance would be none the wiser.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
D&D figures fit just fine aesthetically in my opinion. Line them up on the shelf without telling someone which were which and I think most people at first glance would be none the wiser.
Except for that one really ugly miniature... The one with the ice hands and the spray on tan? His name escapes me right now, but his mini was really bad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion