Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old June 1st, 2017, 01:03 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Alien Franchise

I love Aliens, it remains in my top 10 list even after all these years. The directors cut is really awesome too if you have not seen it. So many great scenes and lines in it. I actually saw this film before I ever saw Alien and I keep checking out the other films in the franchise hoping they were able to recapture the magic of this film. Unfortunately they have not done.

For me Alien was okay and a cool prequel to the real treat as I'm not all that much of a horror movie fan and prefer sci-fi action movies. Still a solid movie that I don't really have any issues with.

Alien 3 wasn't all that good. It had a few interesting ideas in it, particularly the alien dog hybrid, but over all ended up being a disappointment. I really never got over the decision to kill off all the survivors from Aliens, that kind of ruins the ending of Aliens so I don't know why they would think that was a good idea.

Alien 4 was garbage IMO, so sad that I later found out that Joss Wedon worked as a writer on it. Outside of the scene where the aliens killed one of their own to use it's acid blood as a means to escape I don't recall anything I liked about it and never watched it again after the first time. I really hated how they brought Ripley back into it, makes no sense at all.

The first Alien vs. Predator movie was also mostly trash. The decision to have it set on modern day earth just doomed it from the get go IMO. Should have taken place in the future, on an alien planet, and features a new squad of Space Marines as the human element. The only part I really liked about it was when the human and predator teamed up to take down the aliens and the predator creates a spear and shield from a dead alien tail and skull for her to use. That was really cool, but that was about it.

The second Alien vs. Predator movie was at least better than the first one. It still suffered from taking place in a modern day setting but at least the story was an upgrade as it didn't involve secret pyramid alien hunting grounds. Still don't ever feel the need to watch it again, but if I were to stumble across it on TV and nothing else was on I would at least watch it where I would just turn off the TV on the first one.

Prometheus was also not very good. I saw it once and have no real desire to see it again. It was pretty forgettable as I don't even recall what I did or didn't like about it. Just overall bland and boring I guess.

I have not seen Alien: Covenant and don't think I will considering the track record this franchise has had with me. I saw this video though and decided to give it a watch, it had me cracking up several times. Sounds like skipping Alien: Covenant was a good decision.

Old June 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Alien Franchise

Newt did not want to act anymore, Aliens is her only role I believe.

She was supposed to survive. I think once they lost Newt they decided to axe Michael Biehn as well. What happened to the android though?

I actually liked 4 better than 3. Felt more Aliens where 3 was more Alien. The ending of 4 was wretched though.

AvPs were OK. Prometheus was just weird and Covenant was OK.

Alien gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid. Good times.
Old June 1st, 2017, 05:51 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ah yes, nothing like some good Redlettermedia cynicism to make you never want to watch a film ever again. "Movies make me want to be dead." ~Mike Stoklasa

Upon further reflection I think Covenant may have ruined both Alien and Prometheus for me. Aliens is officially the only good movie in the franchise now.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 1st, 2017, 06:05 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I watched Prometheus for the first time, a week before watching Covenant. After Cov we watched Alien. It holds up so well. Great acting and awesome use of less is more.

Considering when it was made it is an amazing piece of work but I still prefer Aliens.

"Why don't you put her in charge?"
Old June 1st, 2017, 07:48 PM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

I think Yodaking sums it up pretty well for all fans of the series. I have seen them all in the order they came out. I think Alien holds up really well considering its age. Younger fans may not truly appreciate the impact it had at the time it was released. I consider Aliens the greatest sequel to any movie along with Godfather 2. The rest have many well documented flaws. Prometheus had a lot of potential was just ruined by bad screenwriting. I probably will see Covenant but am apprehensive to say the least. Shamless plug: Please check out my Aliens vs Predator vs Colonial Marines scenario in the Custom Comic section. It will hopefully be more entertaining than the recent movies.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 07:45 AM

Empire is the best sequel.

Underworld 3 is excellent but is more prequel than sequel.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I think Alien3 is an underrated movie. Yeah it's a total bummer that they casually kill off everyone except Ripley at the start, but I think it stands on its own quite well, just as the first two movies did. It has a unique and interesting feel, and provides a nice closing chapter for Ripley (provided we pretend that the 4th movie never happened). I enjoyed it more than the original Alien, to be honest.

Aside from that I agree with Yoda's assessments. I don't think I ever watched either AvP front to back. Aliens remains the height of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Newt did not want to act anymore, Aliens is her only role I believe.

She was supposed to survive. I think once they lost Newt they decided to axe Michael Biehn as well. What happened to the android though?
Lance Henriksen appears in Alien3; once as the Bishop android (severely damaged but he still speaks) and once again as a human (the designer of the Bishop android who made it in his own image).

Interesting that that's why they killed off Newt and Hicks. The movie could have worked with Hicks but I understand why they axed him to streamline things (and to open up the romance angle with Tywin Lannister).

Last edited by dok; June 2nd, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:13 PM

Right on. My Alien 3 facts are a bit shaky.
I really should give that one another try.

Michael Biehn got cut from both an Aliens and a Terminator sequel.
He had a good little run, topped off with Tombstone.
Always surprised he did not become a bigger star.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:56 PM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Empire is the best sequel
I never considered Empire as sequel because George had planned out the whole series, but your right it is the best Star Wars movie.

Quote:
I think Alien3 is an underrated movie. Yeah it's a total bummer that they casually kill off everyone except Ripley at the start, but I think it stands on its own quite well, just as the first two movies did. It has a unique and interesting feel, and provides a nice closing chapter for Ripley (provided we pretend that the 4th movie never happened). I enjoyed it more than the original Alien, to be honest
I can never understand why people like Alien 3. If you know it's history, it is really a mess of a movie. I hate that killed Newt and Hicks(cruel for no reason), hate the dog alien concept(not scary), hate the guards and prisoners(no one to root for) and hate the ending Ripley dying as the alien pops out. The only thing going for it is Fincher's visuals and their really not that great either. I felt it was a huge letdown after Aliens.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 07:42 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

"No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me." ~David Fincher on Alien 3

I think part of the appeal of the Alien franchise is that it is essentially the same story told by different directors. I think Ridley Scott has sort of burned himself out with it, and I'd rather see David Fincher get another crack at it without the hellish studio interference.

Of course, Alien is a lot like Jaws, not an idea lending itself to being a franchise. Maybe we should just consider ourselves lucky that we even got one good sequel out of it and call it quits from there.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:34 AM

Unfortunately new ideas are a rarity.

Re-boots forever until they stop making money is the future.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:48 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman-chu View Post
hate the dog alien concept(not scary).
As I already mentioned that was one of the few things I liked about the movie. It was cool to me to discover that since the aliens could only reproduce via another living creature, that they actually incorporated that creatures DNA into their new form. The Aliens we had come to know from Alien and Aliens, only looked that way because they had gestated inside a human host. It opened up all the possibilities of what kind of crazy hybrids could be created in a future aliens or predator vs. aliens movie. An alien elephant hybrid would give you a huge alien with a powerful trunk that could grab a hold of you and pull you into it's double jaw of teeth. An alien cheetah hybrid would be scary fast. An alien eagle hybrid would fly around and dive bomb you from above. Unfortunately they never bothered to explore any of those concepts in the movies but they did make a couple of interesting alien hybrid action figures at one point.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies