Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old June 6th, 2019, 02:32 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Best To Worst Star Wars Movie By Ranking Individual Chap

If we're bringing the Holiday Special into consideration, then we can't forget about the two Ewok Adventure movies. Personally I find Caravan of Courage to be much more engaging than Battle for Endor
Old June 6th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've watched each movie one time except for the original trilogy which I've watched several times. My take?

Rogue
Solo

Loved the original trilogy, and it holds up pretty well. I think casting was key, as were the special effects and action scenes. A rip-roaring good time!

Similarly, I'm loving the current trilogy. Again loving the casting and great special effects and action scenes. Again loving the adventure of it all.

Rogue One was a good movie. It tells a very different kind of story in the Star Wars universe. It just never grabbed me the way the others have. The only cast member I can name off the top of my head is Alan Tudyk and that's more of a Firefly thing than a Rogue One thing. Special effects and action were adequate, but nothing that felt remarkable. A fine spy/war thriller.

1&2 were fine, mostly, if I ignore the dialogue and just watch the action scenes. The pod race was cool. The Darth Maul duel was cool. Even Yoda going off on Dooku was cool. Casting was mostly a disappointment though. The simmering political tensions storyline was a non-starter.

Solo was watchable. If it had been just a story about a dude, I might even have enjoyed it. Some really fun action sequences. Unfortunately for the movie, it was supposed to provide the heavy lifting of getting Han Freaking Solo from youth to scruffy nerf herder and it had neither the plot, nor the casting to do so.

3 hasn't aged well. I lied a bit when I said I'd only seen it once. I recently watched a hefty chunk of it on cable and couldn't quite believe I'd sat through it in the theater. The final fights between Obi Wan and Anakin and Yoda and the Emperor (they are interspersed), just go on and on and on without being particularly interesting (I channel flipped and came back a few times). The ending feels utterly forced with Yoda leaving the fight with the Emperor, Obi Wan abandoning the on fire but not dead Anakin, and Padme dying as things that had to happen so they did rather than anything rising organically out of the movie.

~Aldin, ready for 9

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 6th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Woah, Aldin sighting. Good to hear from you.
Old June 6th, 2019, 06:24 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I love them all. The only one that disappointed me in any way is The Force Awakens, and that was after a few viewings. Waaaaay too similar to New Hope. Felt like they were just copying what made the original successful. The entire film would have been way better had they just completely omitted the new death star.

That said the new characters, acting, and special effects were great. The lightsabers felt so satisfying.
Old June 6th, 2019, 06:29 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

The key to a great Star Wars movie is no Jar-Jar and no Death Star.
Empire forever!!
Old June 6th, 2019, 07:58 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Something I've always stayed away from was ranking these...but here goes...with tongue planted firmly in cheek after number 1.

1. The Empire Strikes Back ... learning Vader was Luke's dad was mind blowing the first time around and just as shocking the second time. The rest of the movie is full of really cool stuff.
2. Star Wars (the 'A New Hope' title reminds me of how often an amazing movie can be changed for no good reason.)
3. The Empire Strikes Back...amazing conclusion...what do you mean there's more?
4. Solo ... Can't get enough of Chewie...
5. The Last Jedi...totally unexpected which is something the rest of the movies below can't say.
6. The Force Awakens...The original Omen was better than the remake as well.
7. Rogue One...felt long as I watched it slowly move from one attempt at a quick scene to another slow moving attempt at a quick scene. This movie seemed to last for days. Blow up already!
8. The Phantom Menace...best bad guy since Bobba Fett...and at least he didn't die falling into in a pit...ahem! He died and then fell into a pit. Makes you wonder.
9. Attack of the Clones...fall out of a space ship onto sand dunes and dust yourself off. Unfortunately that was one of the better scenes.
10. Revenge of the Sith...Like Titanic...you new the ending before the movie and both endings sunk.

Let's see how the Rise of Skywalker fares.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; June 6th, 2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Jar-Jar is the real dark side ruler!
Old June 6th, 2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
He died and then fell into a pit.
Are you sure about that?
Old June 7th, 2019, 05:57 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
He died and then fell into a pit.
Are you sure about that?

LOL...Going strictly by the movies.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; June 7th, 2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Not sure either actually died...
Old May 26th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I'm not good at ranking, but I'll just give some basic stuff.

Rogue One is my favorite. Just so cool. I loved everything about it.

New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Solo - darn fun movie

Prequels - though they were lacking in some ways, they at least progressed the story. Legit story, but I didn’t like Jar Jar and didn't care for Anakin acting.

The Last Jedi
Currently halfway through Rise of Skywalker and think it sucks. So it or A Force Awakens will be last and second to last.

I really don't care about any of the characters in the new movies. I did love seeing Han and Chewy together again in AFA, but thought the rest of the movie was a ripoff of A New Hope. And for goodness sake, they had Finn and Poe being best buddies after knowing each other for 3 minutes. To much of that forced buddy and caring for everyone from the minute they met them. Ugh.

The back and forth between Rey and Kylo talking to each other from a distance got super old super fast. Palp alive, Snoke made in a jar, Leia a force user? Rey and Kylo like 10 times more powerful than other force users, other than Palp I suppose, but still way more powerful.

After watching the movies again, I'm confident that the prequels are better Star Wars movies than the last 3.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 26th, 2020, 01:51 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

There's a very cool story in the prequels. Namely Palpatine's rise, and the fall of the Jedi order. It was just muddled under bad writing and acting. But it added a lot to the Star Wars universe as a whole.

The sequels had a rehashed story that started out convoluted (Force Awakens had WAY too many dangling plot threads. And they clearly had no direction to take them in in the future, they just should never have been there), and then Rise of Skywalker got too scared of fans or something and backtracked everything. All the conflict that was created was gone, and the heroes just automatically won in the end using the same tactics they've used in every other movie.

Also: "Somehow, Palpatine returned"

Granted I love Palpatine and loved seeing him again. He shouldn't have been in the film.
Old May 26th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Phantom Menace was always at the bottom of my list, until The Last Jedi came along. Plenty of flaws in the final trilogy, but still wondering if it would have been better overall if JJ Abrams had been in charge of all 3.

I agree that the prequels advanced the story much more than the final 3.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:12 PM
...has moist legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Phantom Menace was always at the bottom of my list, until The Last Jedi came along. Plenty of flaws in the final trilogy, but still wondering if it would have been better overall if JJ Abrams had been in charge of all 3.

I agree that the prequels advanced the story much more than the final 3.
I'm pretty adamant about Force Awakens being the actual weak link. While it was probably the best standalone film, it set up way too many weird things that they didn't know how to handle. I think Last Jedi did a great job handling a lot of the pointless stuff that TFA threw at it. Skywalker backtracking has no excuse though.

No matter what, having a concrete plan all the way through is what they were lacking. I don't blame any specific director either. Probably would have been more cohesive is one guy directed them all, but the bottom line is that Disney was supervising and signed off on everything. The Star Wars group just failed because they rushed everything. Skywalker just made all of the previous canon completely pointless, and someone signed off on that. Bizarre.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies