Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!
Units that seem to do better in Realscape then Theoryscape

I'm a bit of a theoryscaper. Usually I'm pretty good at predicting how well a unit will work for me. Sometimes however, theoryscape fails me and my real world experience is quite different then what I expected.

One example is the protectors of Ullar. When I first read their card, my initial impression was that they'd be decent, but unremarkable, with quite a few weak matchups. For some reason though, every time I've played them (or against them), they always perform much better then I expect them to.

I can't really explain why either. I guess my theoryscape skills aren't strong enough to properly understand the true value of ranged flyers, although I thought they were.

In any case, does anyone else have experiences to share where units consistently do better (or perhaps worse) then what was expected?

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker
Re: Units that seem to do better in Realscape then Theorysca

I always thought the spiders were kind of crummy, even with Wyverns. But whenever I play them (especially with Estivara) they out perform my expectations significantly.

Another one for me is the TSA. I'm always surprised at how often counterstrike really does work, even with only three dice. Their offensive potential still holds them back, but they are quite good defensively.
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

I think Marcu fits here. I mean, 1 out of 5 chance of betrayal? Come on, who would play something like that?

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart

so far, even though hes new, Rhogar Dragonspine. he is practically a guarenteed healer and a healer you actually want to put order markers on!
and Syvarris too. he is always still there on his perch after the battles are over, and his double attack works wonders for me when squads are storming his mountain.

My 2011 tourney record: 7-7
My 2010 tourney record: 7-9
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviofDoom View Post
so far, even though hes new, Rhogar Dragonspine. he is practically a guarenteed healer and a healer you actually want to put order markers on!
Rhogar isn't wholly bad, per se, but he is the opposite of a unit that does better in Realscape than Theoryscape.

I agree with Syvarris.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One word: Erevan.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I always thought the spiders were kind of crummy, even with Wyverns. But whenever I play them (especially with Estivara) they out perform my expectations significantly.
I've had similar experiences with spiders. They always do better then I expect them to.

I think that in general, highly mobile units like those with high base movement, or flying or some other power which increases their mobility, tend to do better for me then I usually give them credit for.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I've had some ridiculous runs of luck with Cyprien+Sonya before, killing over 350 points worth of stuff. I also had one game in a tournament where Sonya came back to kill an entire KMA squad, even after her hubby died.

Feral Trolls, although weak against stuff like Redcoats, are a real pain to take out in a campaign scenario.

Also, Deathreavers. Back when attack glyphs were more common in my games, I distinctly recall taking out high defense stuff with them, including Q9 and Knights of Weston in different games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@Jexik; Deathreavers are better on offense than I'd think even without glyphs. They almost always get all four attacks, and often from height. One attack is so, so much better than, say one defense.

--

I think Theracus is better than people think he is, at least at first. He can be a key tactical unit, and comes cheap.

The spiders were actually worse than I thought they'd be, but I can see Estivara and Wyverns changing that.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviofDoom View Post
Rhogar isn't wholly bad, per se, but he is the opposite of a unit that does better in Realscape than Theoryscape.

I agree with Syvarris.
i suppose youre right... i just have had really good luck with him so far, and i still see people who say in theory "he wouldnt be very good." but he does great! but i also thought he would be good in theory . i guess it depends on who said it

My 2011 tourney record: 7-7
My 2010 tourney record: 7-9
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I feel like Syvarris consistently out-performs what I think he's going to do.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Runa does more than what people expect from her, but I won't get much agreement.

I also think Venoc Vipers vastly over-achieve.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

@ Killercactus,

I completely agree about the Vipers. I was glad to see you take them to Day 2 at GenCon. There have been a few times where I've played Viper armies against guys that I'm teaching to play, because I think they'll be weak, and the other guy will have lots of fun shooting up 0 defense figures, but then I end up winning.

Now granted, the guy is brand new, but I'm giving 'em stuff like Raelin, Q9, and Minions (because they're easier to understand than Rats for new guys).

Also, I would put Q10 in there. At first the talk around here was mostly, "Why not just pay an extra 30 and get Q9," but I started playing against some 4th Mass and Stinger builds, and his 7 range special does wonders against them. He would consistently take out way more than I thought he would. Now... he does have his weaknesses (and many more than Q9).

One unit that actually performs worse for me is Nilfheim. Because of his awesome stats, I always picture him owning his opposition, but I usually kill him off way before necessary. This one is mostly my own fault, the only setback of Nilfheim himself being that he looks so freaking awesome that he psyches me out, and that he doesn't fit in all the places I need him to. Otherwise, I'm just too careless with him (I need to read his Unit Review again).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units