Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old November 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
I don't see why Jotun couldn't be considered in the same league as Hulk, dice wise.
Thats another Match-up I had planned.
I'm really looking forward to this game.
Me too.

I think as soon as I open the box I'm going to gleefully battle Krug versus Hulk, Jotun versus Hulk, Captain America versus Drake and the AE, and Iron Man verus some Deathwalkers or Majors. And laugh and laugh. Take that Hasbro and your not recommendedness!

In fact, recommendations or not, I can't imagine I'll ever have a game that just uses superheroes.....unless they come out with a lot of waves really fast I think the novelty of playing with just ten figures will wear out. Mixing is going to be the thing for me.....it still baffles me that they are not aiming for 100% compatibility.
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Phasma Felis has disabled reputation
Quote:
In fact, recommendations or not, I can't imagine I'll ever have a game that just uses superheroes.....unless they come out with a lot of waves really fast I think the novelty of playing with just ten figures will wear out. Mixing is going to be the thing for me.....it still baffles me that they are not aiming for 100% compatibility.
I've got to agree. I mean, Heroscape already features ninjas vs. robots vs. Vikings vs. dragons vs. MIBs. How are superheroes not a perfect addition?

Then again, I never understand the people who say they didn't/don't want to see cowboys or pirates or whatever else in Heroscape. It's a game all about throwing everything into a big blender. I can't think of anything that's really inappropriate, as long as it comes from a slam-bang action paradigm.
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM
has been BANNED

I can see licenses being kept under a separate marketing package and never grouped with classics, but I still want them to be 100% compatible.

I don't get the Pirates thing either. I can see folks not being huge fans of pirates or wanting other things more, but some folks are just downright opposed to Pirates in the game at all. I feel like lining up my Cowboys, Vikings, Samurais, Ninjas, Giant Robots, Dinosaurs, Elves, Zombies, Werewolves, etc and just saying "Why do Pirates not work here? Is that stretching the plausibility too much for you?"
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:33 AM

Rorschach has disabled reputation
Quote:

Me too.

I think as soon as I open the box I'm going to gleefully battle Krug versus Hulk, Jotun versus Hulk, Captain America versus Drake and the AE, and Iron Man verus some Deathwalkers or Majors. And laugh and laugh. Take that Hasbro and your not recommendedness!

I agree with the ten figure battle thing getting really old really fast but what I don't get is why not have squad super-villian squad units: Skrulls, Kree, Nazis, Gangsters, Sentinels, Molemen, Atlanteans. There are tons of units that could be made for cheap points, assuming they use points, for Marvelscape that would give the same thrill as taking down an Army with Cap. and/or Spidey. Not to mention Shield agents and Policemen to balance out the tougher villians versus the weaker heroes.

And just so it is known Cap would merck Drake.
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:21 AM

ikkyu142 has disabled reputation
I understand their problem. no matter what people aren't going to be happy with the supers translation. I know I will mix sets, and probably end up using the supers people have made here. I know this community will be able to turn out cards that are closer if not completely compatible to HS.
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Rorschach has disabled reputation
Power Balance, Not just Points

As an avid comic book reader I know how tough the Hulk is and how tough Ironman is and realisticly they would desimate any opposing force they came up against. When I first heard they were going to introduce Marvelscape I was extatic. But then I started to wonder how tough were the Marvel characters going to be.

If the Hulk were represented correctly like some one pointed out he can shrug off Artillery shells and bench-press tanks. How could a character like that be represented respectfully without being overpowered.

Then it occured to me how rediculous some of the match-ups in regular HS are. When a Group of 3 roman archers with no knowledge of machinery can get lucky and take down a 25-ft futuristic Deathwalker wearing space armor you know there has to be some sort of balancing force taking place in the game already.

My theory is that because Heroscape is set in Valhalla, a magical land, the balance of the game for the new marvel characters will be set by making the Marvel characters much weaker than people will expect. Because of this the Hulk will be taken down by samurai and Ironman will opened like a tin can by scotsman. You won't see crazy one versus the masses battles that we as a community want.

On the otherhand even if the community doesn't like the stats for the heroes, there are about a hundred customs makers who could I'm sure collaborate to make perfectly good hero cards with the newly released Marvelscape figures.

Just my thoughts.
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm not sure I want to have a battle that is one hero against an army so don't include me in this "we all want it" deal. Anyway, I would rather them make the game fun and playable and capture the spirit/essence of the characters, similr to how they somewhat capture the essence of the WW2 Airborne, or the Matrix Agents (Krav). Make em playable but flavored with abilities that mimic their ones in the comics...

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
The only thing I care about is the Terrain, I'm not all that excited about the Hero folk, just give me concrete and asphault,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
Quote:

Me too.

I agree with the ten figure battle thing getting really old really fast but what I don't get is why not have squad super-villian squad units: Skrulls, Kree, Nazis, Gangsters, Sentinels, Molemen, Atlanteans. There are tons of units that could be made for cheap points, assuming they use points, for Marvelscape that would give the same thrill as taking down an Army with Cap. and/or Spidey. Not to mention Shield agents and Policemen to balance out the tougher villians versus the weaker heroes.

And just so it is known Cap would merck Drake.
Squads like that would be fun. I'm hoping they eventually make some unique squads...I don't need commons in this game, and a unique squad only policy would keep the battles small, if that's what they're going for. I'd love to see a booster that had like 4 Skrull Warriors and Super Skrull....of course we need the Fantastic Four first, but they're surely on the way....I hope!
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Make em playable but flavored with abilities that mimic their ones in the comics...
Thank you. That's exactly my thinking. Flavor and essence.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:33 PM

QBakies has disabled reputation
Re: Power Balance, Not just Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
As an avid comic book reader I know how tough the Hulk is and how tough Ironman is and realisticly they would desimate any opposing force they came up against. When I first heard they were going to introduce Marvelscape I was extatic. But then I started to wonder how tough were the Marvel characters going to be.

If the Hulk were represented correctly like some one pointed out he can shrug off Artillery shells and bench-press tanks. How could a character like that be represented respectfully without being overpowered.

Then it occured to me how rediculous some of the match-ups in regular HS are. When a Group of 3 roman archers with no knowledge of machinery can get lucky and take down a 25-ft futuristic Deathwalker wearing space armor you know there has to be some sort of balancing force taking place in the game already.

My theory is that because Heroscape is set in Valhalla, a magical land, the balance of the game for the new marvel characters will be set by making the Marvel characters much weaker than people will expect. Because of this the Hulk will be taken down by samurai and Ironman will opened like a tin can by scotsman. You won't see crazy one versus the masses battles that we as a community want.

On the otherhand even if the community doesn't like the stats for the heroes, there are about a hundred customs makers who could I'm sure collaborate to make perfectly good hero cards with the newly released Marvelscape figures.

Just my thoughts.
I completely agree. There are a ton of balancing issues in the game for things like robots vs scotsmen so there is no reason Marvel characters couldn't have the same thing going on. I'm going to combine these sets even if I do have to make custom cards for them.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Nobody will EVER be happy with how comic book characters are represented outside of comic books or movies simply because these characters exist in a medium where rules can change at any time at the whim of the author. Dramatic storytelling essentially relies on improbability. What should happen is rarely what actually happens, because the impossible is more interesting and dramatic.

The problem is, people take the results of these conflicts and try to apply them to reality. Who would win in a fight between X and Y? The answer is, in every situation, whoever the author decides. It doesn't matter what power level the scouter shows or how high a medichlorian count is, in a dramatic battle, the result is entirely at the whims of the author.

When you put these characters into a game system that has structure and rules, your bound to be disappointed with the results. Without the ability to invent solutions, the stronger character generally wins. There's no room for "entering the villains energy form and absorbing it into our bodies which can then be destroyed to destroy the villain but we'll be ok due to a small pocket dimension that..." eh nevermind...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion